British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-04-09, 04:35 PM

Default Royal Fusiliers/1-4 City of London Regt

What is the difference between the badge of the Royal Fusiliers KK 597 and the badge for the 1st-4th City of London Battalions (The Royal Fusiliers), KK 1818, or are they the same badge? If they are not the same how can they be told apart? I'm trying to figure out what it is that I own.

Don
Old 02-04-09, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubilationtcornpone View Post
What is the difference between the badge of the Royal Fusiliers KK 597 and the badge for the 1st-4th City of London Battalions (The Royal Fusiliers), KK 1818, or are they the same badge? If they are not the same how can they be told apart? I'm trying to figure out what it is that I own.

Don
Hi Don,

They wore exactly the same badge as the Royal Fusiliers when they changed in 1908 from VB's to the London Regiment. They also wore the same collars, the only badge as such which was different from the RF was their shoulder titles.

Regards,

Luke
Old 02-04-09, 06:19 PM
Super Moderator

The brass ones are identical and very common. The white metal ones are very rare.

Alan
Old 02-04-09, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Halls View Post
Hi Don,

They wore exactly the same badge as the Royal Fusiliers when they changed in 1908 from VB's to the London Regiment. They also wore the same collars, the only badge as such which was different from the RF was their shoulder titles.

Regards,

Luke

titles

1 and 2 standart royal fusiliers titles
3 royal fusiliers great coat
4 : 4th city of london
Attached Images
File Type: jpg W790.JPG (19.7 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg W794-P.JPG (24.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg W791.JPG (16.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg DSC07525.JPG (82.0 KB, 25 views)
Old 02-04-09, 07:05 PM

Lightbulb

Thank you to all who responded. I was afraid I was asking a dumb question but have learned a lot. Attached is a picture of the badge I picked up in a San Francisco antique (junk) shop several years ago. I don't know if you can see it in the picture but there is pink residue in the creases between some of the flames. Would this be left over from being polished?

Don
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1100341.jpg (99.4 KB, 31 views)
Old 02-04-09, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubilationtcornpone View Post
Thank you to all who responded. I was afraid I was asking a dumb question but have learned a lot. Attached is a picture of the badge I picked up in a San Francisco antique (junk) shop several years ago. I don't know if you can see it in the picture but there is pink residue in the creases between some of the flames. Would this be left over from being polished?

Don
Hi Don,

Could be, the picture has caught rather a lot of flash so its hard to say for definite but a type of polish the soldiers used to buy 'back in the day' called soldiers friend used to dry pink.

Cheers,

Luke
Old 04-04-09, 01:24 AM

Here are two more to look at that differ in size by almost 2mm, both in dia. of the grenade and the width of the flames. I note also that the larger crown on the lighter coloured badge is set back from the anulus whereas on the other, it is touching the anulus plus the flame pattern is different. There are no makers names on either. Regards, David J.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Royal Fusileers.jpg (64.0 KB, 27 views)
Old 05-02-10, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator

I came across this one recently. It is the older design with the coronet in the rose rather than at the neck of the grenade. Interestingly it has a slider fitted so is not Victorian - pre WW1 Field service cap badge possibly? The RF certainly wore this design on their collars as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RF CAP.jpg (47.9 KB, 18 views)

Tags
london regiment, royal fusiliers