British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-06-18, 12:33 PM

Default Austrian Knots- cadet rank

I have tried digging into the use of Austrian knots and other rank insignia by officer cadets, but without too much success. I can find plenty of information about changes in their use post-1945 but nothing about earlier. I know they were worn both at Sandhurst and Woolwich pre-war as photos exist on-line, but I cannot locate any 'Authority' as such.

Dress Regs 1911 and 1934 refer to clothing for Gentleman Cadets but nothing on rank.

I've attached a photo borrowed on-line to give an indication of the ranks badges I'm interested in.

Can someone point me in the right direction please?

Stephen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CUOTC Rank slides.jpg (9.8 KB, 70 views)
Old 21-06-18, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator

The modern UOTC use of the design varies from OTC to OTC. In Southampton UOTC the recruits wore nothing on the shoulders, when a cadet passed MTQ 1 they got a single bar. The JUOs wore the knot over that and the SUO alone wore the knot and 2 bars. The instructor one is new to me.

Other OTCs had 2 bars for MTQ2 as with your Cambridge one shown in the picture. MTQ system has been renamed but the principle is the same. It all depends on the OTC practice.
Old 23-06-18, 12:13 AM

Default Austrain Knots

Alan, thank you.

So far as pre-ww2 practice goes it appears we have stumped the panel- somebody must know something.

Stephen.
Old 28-01-19, 04:50 AM

Default Austrian knots

Resurrected from the depths:

I'm still looking for further information, and pictures of the various Officer Cadet rank insignia.

All offers of help welcomed.

Stephen.
Old 28-01-19, 06:32 AM

The system as I know it is as Alan states i.e 1 bar for MTQ1, 2 for MTQ2 etc. The "Instructor" wording indicates that the wearer has completed MOI (Method of Instruction), BIT (Basic Instructional Techniques) or DIT (Defence Instructional Techniques) course.

PL
Old 28-01-19, 11:59 AM

Default Austrian knot

Paul,
Thanks. What about pre-ww2 cadet rank at Woolwich etc. I know nothing about that era.

How about Cadet Colour Sgts, Corporals etc. There must be about 10-15 different badges lurking out there somewhere when No1, No2 & Battle/Combat Dress are considered.

Stephen.