British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Other Army Departments and Corps Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 14-10-23, 12:21 PM

Default Unknown OTC or Jersey?

Hi this one's got me stumped. Does anyone know what this is please? It's white metal with a separate applied crown and was originally lugged

Many thanks

Martyn
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20231014_131453363~2.jpg (98.1 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20231014_131504009~2.jpg (90.9 KB, 92 views)
Old 14-10-23, 12:22 PM
Super Moderator

It is not an OTC badge. I looks like some one has put the 2 parts together to me.
Old 14-10-23, 12:46 PM

Thank you Alan

. When you look at the badge it likes like its always been together. The soldering at the top looks like it was re lugged at some time. I found something similar on the net which was called Victoria Jersey OTC but had a different crown.
Old 14-10-23, 01:06 PM

I'm wandering if it's some sort of channel islands police or civic badge?
Old 14-10-23, 01:28 PM

Similar 'style' to Jersey police collar badge (circa 1890)

http://www.jerseymilitia.co.uk/jpolshieldwm.html

Edit : It looks like the crown on your badge has been added as it is in front of the top part of a collar badge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jersey Police collar.jpg (44.7 KB, 31 views)

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 14-10-23, 01:55 PM

Many thanks that's brilliant. I wander if its Victorian and then updated when Edward VII was crowned. It looks professionally applied?
Old 14-10-23, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyn123 View Post
Hi this one's got me stumped. Does anyone know what this is please? It's white metal with a separate applied crown and was originally lugged

Many thanks

Martyn
It is NOT a Jersey Police badge as such (the bottom half is), but I'd suggest someone has been messing about with the soldering iron in adding the KC. Your definition of "professionally" and mine differ significantly.

Dave.
Old 14-10-23, 04:25 PM

Considdering it appears to be made from 2 badges it seems to be well done and not what I'd say was a poor job it's let down by the soft solder lugs done at a much later date and it also seems to have had a Slider at one point under the top lug from what I can see , perhaps you should t remove the messy very poorly done lugs to find out .
Old 16-10-23, 06:40 PM

Many thanks all. After a great deal of research it turns out to be perfectly legitimate. It would have originally had two lugs on the shield and two on the crown and is a type issued to sergeants and above prior to 1935. It is a standard constables collar badge with a separately applied crown. Someone has obviously tried to attach some dodgy lugs. Information obtained from Jersey police archive.
Old 17-10-23, 08:16 AM

What evidence do you have that the badge with the crown added, was worn by Jersey Police?

The shield was worn as a collar badge and very occasionally as a headdress badge but the added crown has created a "spurious" badge not (as I've already said) known to have been worn by Jersey Police.

Please don't seek to legitimise an item such as this without evidence of such legitimacy. I'm very familiar with the unofficial website which details Channel Island badges etc., and the badge as configured does not feature.

In addition, I have a large archive of historical photos depicting members of Jersey Police and the badge is nowhere to be seen.

Dave.
Old 17-10-23, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyn123 View Post
Many thanks all. After a great deal of research it turns out to be perfectly legitimate. It would have originally had two lugs on the shield and two on the crown and is a type issued to sergeants and above prior to 1935. It is a standard constables collar badge with a separately applied crown. Someone has obviously tried to attach some dodgy lugs. Information obtained from Jersey police archive.
Can you please post a link ?

I can find no info about the badge in post #1 and still think it is a "frankenstein" item comprising a crown (with E/W lugs removed) and a collar badge (with E/W lugs removed) crudely joined together .

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 01-11-23, 11:16 PM

Default Jersey badge

This appears to be a police collar badge with a KC rank crown soldered on the top.

I can find no evidence of the Jersey Police wearing a badge like this and the Victoria College OTC had several variations of their cap badge which had a coronet not a crown.

There is the vaguest possibility that it might have been put together by another organisation, there are a lot of mixed departments in the States of Jersey, Ambulance Drivers, Harbour Security, Airport Fire Service, Police Messenger and Park Keepers all wore variations of the same badge. The Jersey Railway & Tramway Co Ltd wore the police collar shield in brass as a cap badge and the Royal Court Chief Usher also wore the same badge in the 1960, long after the Railway had gone.

Whatever it is, it is most probably unofficial and privately put together, shame as the early police collar badges are getting hard to find!

Last edited by jermil; 01-11-23 at 11:16 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 02-11-23, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jermil View Post
This appears to be a police collar badge with a KC rank crown soldered on the top.

I can find no evidence of the Jersey Police wearing a badge like this and the Victoria College OTC had several variations of their cap badge which had a coronet not a crown.

There is the vaguest possibility that it might have been put together by another organisation, there are a lot of mixed departments in the States of Jersey, Ambulance Drivers, Harbour Security, Airport Fire Service, Police Messenger and Park Keepers all wore variations of the same badge. The Jersey Railway & Tramway Co Ltd wore the police collar shield in brass as a cap badge and the Royal Court Chief Usher also wore the same badge in the 1960, long after the Railway had gone.

Whatever it is, it is most probably unofficial and privately put together, shame as the early police collar badges are getting hard to find!
Norman,

Thank you for confirming my own thoughts. Hope you and the family are well.

Dave.
Old 02-11-23, 04:50 PM

Default Jersey badge

Hi Dave

Yes all well, busy today clearing up the debris from last nights storm damage