British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > New Zealand Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-02-16, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atillathenunns View Post
BC, during a Wellington Militaria Club meet last year I was asked to comment on the following two sets of “The Scots College” badges pictured below.
Looking at the cap badge with my trusty jewellers loup, I thought the Kangaroo in the coat of arms was unusual and at the time surmised it was probably due to its connection with its brother school “The Scots College” in Australia.

However when I got home and did a bit of online research, that’s when I started having my doubts.
Not only was the Kangaroo related to “The Scots College” in Australia, the whole crest and Latin motto was that of “The Scots College” in Australia.
The title “The Scots College” in the scrolls at the top of the badge also directly relate to “The Scots College” in Australia, as the New Zealand Scots College does not use the prefix “The.”

It was at this point I was 99% sure the badge in question is Australian and not New Zealand, all I need to prove my theory is to visit Scots college in Wellington and look at their cadet photos, but just haven’t had the opportunity yet, however 2016 is the Colleges 100 year anniversary, so who knows.

I have seen a 1920 photo of NZ Scots college cadets, but none are wearing badges or hats, and another photo I have seen (may possibly be a band photo) shows a round garter style badge being worn on a plain Glengarry hat.

As to your claims of a version with a Kiwi in the coat of arms, I too have rechecked all my books and the internet and all have the Kangaroo.
I suspect you don’t have a picture of the Kiwi version?
There appears to be several maker variations of “The Scots College Senior Cadet Corps” badge, and the crest details on some are not that well defined, is it not possible you mistook a poor defined Kangaroo for a Kiwi?

hi atillathenunns
i agree with you, these badges you show are australian. worn by the college here in australia. i have no idea if the NZ college wore them but i would find it unusual if they did.
as for the kiwi in the shield other than the kangaroo it has been the only one i have seen and i have looked at several over the years.
it was definitely a kiwi. i had no idea of its significance when i owned it. i bought it as an australian badge and was disappointed to see the kiwi. i cant remember when i sold it or to who but i think it sold on ebay about 10yrs ago and i have been searching my photo data base with no luck. if i even find the pic i will certainly post it
cheers
bc
Old 22-02-16, 11:36 PM

Hi Atill,

Thank you for posting the picture of the Senior Cadets from Auckland Grammar.

I was interested to see the long pants worn by these cadets, which would have been very practical in hot summer weather.

The Senior Cadets uniform in Australia was a brown shirt and britches, brown boots and puttees, plus a brown leather belt with large brass buckle.

Also, a slouch hat was worn with a brass numeral attached to the front.

The cadet in the picture should be wearing numeral 37 on his slouch hat, which represents the Illawarra Infantry.

Unfortunately the image of the numeral is not clear. However the town of Kiama and it's surrounding area forms part of the Illawarra Infantry.

Cheers,

Invest

Image: Cadets in the Universal Training period uniform at Kiama, NSW in 1913.

Source: Australian War Memorial P00518.015
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kiama Cadets 1913.jpg (38.8 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by Investment; 22-02-16 at 11:52 PM.
Old 25-02-16, 10:14 AM

26th (Auckland) Company - Auckland City Senior Cadets
26th (Wellington) Company – St James Senior Cadets
26th (Canterbury) Company – Oxford Senior Cadets
26th (Otago) Company – Invercargill Central Senior Cadets