British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > New Zealand Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-02-16, 10:05 PM

Default New Zealand Senior Cadet Badges

Hi,

I was just wondering if any forum members have badges like the ones displayed in the attached pictures or similar in their own collections ?

Many thanks,

Invest

Badges and Insignia of the New Zealand Army, by Geoffrey P. Oldham, Second Edition 2011, Page 95.

"On 17 March 1911, a new Cadet Corps was formed, being divided into Junior Cadets for boys from 12 to 14 years and Senior Cadets for boys aged over 14 years.
Each Senior Cadet wore a fern leaf badge with the unit's designated number in the centre."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg New Zealand Senior Cadet Corps (1).jpg (30.8 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg New Zealand Senior Cadet Corps (2).jpg (29.8 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by Investment; 17-02-16 at 10:12 PM.
Old 17-02-16, 10:16 PM

Hi,

I can't provide an image of an identical badge. However I do have a senior cadet badge (currently for sale) to show, although the design is different (see attached). I originally thought this was a NZ badge but have since been informed it is Australian - although the design is very near identical to one another.

As mentioned not the same as the one you show but I hope it will be of some interest.

Cheers, Roy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg #02 Oz Scots Cadets.jpg (46.7 KB, 20 views)

Despatch Rider Insignia & Photographs.

Author/Dealer in the Fairbairn Sykes Fighting Knife
My website: www.fsknife.com
Old 17-02-16, 11:10 PM

Hi Invest,
I have only the one badge 106th Company, Napier Technical College, shown alongside an Expeditionary Force badge.
Note how the "NZ" has been removed to allow space for appropriate numerals and how "EXPEDITIONARY FORCE" has been buffed out.
Cheers,
Tinto
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CadetBadge.jpg (34.8 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg CadetBadgerev.jpg (35.1 KB, 7 views)
Old 18-02-16, 07:45 AM

Hello Tinto,
Many thanks for posting your badges.
The structure of your badge looks very similar to number 105.
Any idea what the Senior Cadet name was for number 106 ?
Cheers,
Invest

Last edited by Investment; 18-02-16 at 07:51 AM.
Old 18-02-16, 03:38 PM

Hi Invest,
I'm sorry I can't help you with the 105 badge.
There is no mention of the 105 Company in "New Zealand Army Distinguishing Patches 1911-1991" by Malcolm Thomas and Cliff Lord.
Cheers, Tinto
Old 19-02-16, 07:02 AM

Tinto, its nice to see your dads 106 badge.

Invest, I do not collect cadet badges, but have done some research on Wellington cadet badges, and for no real reason I have photos of the following numbered cadet badges, 6&7, 14, 17, 26, 100 and about 6 school cadet badges saved on file if your interested.

In regards to what Senior Cadet used the number “105” you have to keep in mind that each of the four NZ military districts had overlapping numbers, as such 105 was used by both Napier High School Senior Cadets and Timaru High School Senior Cadets, although I am inclined to think the 105 badge pictured is Napier High School Senior Cadets .
Old 19-02-16, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy View Post
Hi,

I can't provide an image of an identical badge. However I do have a senior cadet badge (currently for sale) to show, although the design is different (see attached). I originally thought this was a NZ badge but have since been informed it is Australian - although the design is very near identical to one another.

As mentioned not the same as the one you show but I hope it will be of some interest.

Cheers, Roy.
The New Zealand Scots College Cadets were officially formed in September 1919 and were designated "115 Company"
It is very possible the badge you have for sale is an Australian Scots College Cadets badge, and may not have been worn by New Zealand Scots College Cadets whose coat of arms is very different to the one depicted on your badge.
Old 19-02-16, 11:42 PM

No 6 & 8 Company, Christchurch boys high school cadets hat badge and puggaree.

Old 20-02-16, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atillathenunns View Post
The New Zealand Scots College Cadets were officially formed in September 1919 and were designated "115 Company"
It is very possible the badge you have for sale is an Australian Scots College Cadets badge, and may not have been worn by New Zealand Scots College Cadets whose coat of arms is very different to the one depicted on your badge.
hi guys
this has been a thread previous im sure.
I have had both the NZ cadet badge and the Australian cadet badge for scots college like the one roy shws. the only difference was the aussie one has a kangaroo and the NZ one had a kiwi within the coat of arms
bc
Old 20-02-16, 03:30 PM

Hi All,

Here is the link to a previous discussion re Scots College badges:

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...+College+Tinto

Cheers, Tinto
Old 21-02-16, 02:14 AM

Hi Atill,
That would be great. If it's no problem, could you please post pictures showing the cadet badges for the 14th, 17th, 26th and 100th.
Many thanks,
Invest

Quote:
Originally Posted by atillathenunns View Post
Tinto, its nice to see your dads 106 badge.

Invest, I do not collect cadet badges, but have done some research on Wellington cadet badges, and for no real reason I have photos of the following numbered cadet badges, 6&7, 14, 17, 26, 100 and about 6 school cadet badges saved on file if your interested.

In regards to what Senior Cadet used the number “105” you have to keep in mind that each of the four NZ military districts had overlapping numbers, as such 105 was used by both Napier High School Senior Cadets and Timaru High School Senior Cadets, although I am inclined to think the 105 badge pictured is Napier High School Senior Cadets .
Old 21-02-16, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgecollector View Post
hi guys
this has been a thread previous im sure.
I have had both the NZ cadet badge and the Australian cadet badge for scots college like the one roy shws. the only difference was the aussie one has a kangaroo and the NZ one had a kiwi within the coat of arms
bc
BC, during a Wellington Militaria Club meet last year I was asked to comment on the following two sets of “The Scots College” badges pictured below.
Looking at the cap badge with my trusty jewellers loup, I thought the Kangaroo in the coat of arms was unusual and at the time surmised it was probably due to its connection with its brother school “The Scots College” in Australia.

However when I got home and did a bit of online research, that’s when I started having my doubts.
Not only was the Kangaroo related to “The Scots College” in Australia, the whole crest and Latin motto was that of “The Scots College” in Australia.
The title “The Scots College” in the scrolls at the top of the badge also directly relate to “The Scots College” in Australia, as the New Zealand Scots College does not use the prefix “The.”

It was at this point I was 99% sure the badge in question is Australian and not New Zealand, all I need to prove my theory is to visit Scots college in Wellington and look at their cadet photos, but just haven’t had the opportunity yet, however 2016 is the Colleges 100 year anniversary, so who knows.

I have seen a 1920 photo of NZ Scots college cadets, but none are wearing badges or hats, and another photo I have seen (may possibly be a band photo) shows a round garter style badge being worn on a plain Glengarry hat.

As to your claims of a version with a Kiwi in the coat of arms, I too have rechecked all my books and the internet and all have the Kangaroo.
I suspect you don’t have a picture of the Kiwi version?
There appears to be several maker variations of “The Scots College Senior Cadet Corps” badge, and the crest details on some are not that well defined, is it not possible you mistook a poor defined Kangaroo for a Kiwi?

Old 21-02-16, 07:17 AM

14th (Auckland) Company - Auckland Grammar Senior Cadets
14th (Wellington) Company - Hawera Senior Cadets
14th (Canterbury) Company - Ashburton High School Senior Cadets
14th (Otago) Company - St Kilda Senior Cadets

Last edited by atillathenunns; 22-02-16 at 06:34 AM.
Old 22-02-16, 06:36 AM

17th (Auckland) Company - Auckland Grammar Senior Cadets
17th (Wellington) Company – Boys Institute Senior Cadets
17th (Canterbury) Company – Marist Brothers Senior Cadets
17th (Otago) Company – North East Valley Senior Cadets
Old 22-02-16, 07:15 AM

The following photo (circa 1910s - 1920s) is believed to be members of the Auckland Grammar Senior Cadets.

Auckland Grammar Cadets badge

Last edited by atillathenunns; 22-02-16 at 07:21 AM.