British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > New Zealand Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-06-14, 04:57 PM

Default NZMG Badge Collection

I thought i would put these on the forum for the New Zealand boy's to give me their appraisal.
Look forward to your comments, I have been collecting these badges for the last thirty years.
Regards Ray Smith (South Wales)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1232.jpg (79.1 KB, 170 views)
Old 19-06-14, 04:30 AM

Hi Ray

Congratulations on a wonderful and very impressive collection.

John
Old 21-06-14, 11:24 PM

Default NZ Badge collection

I MUST HAVE TAKEN THE BREATH AWAY WITH THE NZ LADS WITH THIS COLLECTION.
NOT A WORD FROM THE SELF APPOINTED NSMGS SELF PROMOTED NZMGS BADGE GURU FROM WELLINGTON
OR HIS SIDE KICK FROM GISBORN
SILENCE IS GOLDEN
Old 22-06-14, 07:07 AM

Nice selection Ray, as we say in NZ ,Full credit !!!

Cheers Iain
Old 22-06-14, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray smith View Post
I MUST HAVE TAKEN THE BREATH AWAY WITH THE NZ LADS WITH THIS COLLECTION.
NOT A WORD FROM THE SELF APPOINTED NSMGS SELF PROMOTED NZMGS BADGE GURU FROM WELLINGTON
OR HIS SIDE KICK FROM GISBORN
SILENCE IS GOLDEN
That's a very childish comment Ray.
Old 22-06-14, 08:28 AM

Wink NZ Badge collection

Quote:
Originally Posted by atillathenunns View Post
That's a very childish comment Ray.
Brent, I thought this would wake you up.
At 77 years of age, perhaps i am returning to my
second childhood.LoL
Old 22-06-14, 08:33 AM

Smile NZ Badge collection

Quote:
Originally Posted by pukman View Post
Nice selection Ray, as we say in NZ ,Full credit !!!

Cheers Iain
Thanks Iain,
Spoken like a man.Regards to your lovely family
Ray
Old 22-06-14, 09:20 AM

Quote:
second childhood.LoL
"THE SELF APPOINTED NSMGS SELF PROMOTED NZMGS BADGE GURU FROM WELLINGTON".....Ha ha thats very funny Ray....not childish IMO, bit true eh?
By the way....bloody nice collection mate
Geoff
Old 22-06-14, 09:48 AM

Default NZ Badge collection

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigilans View Post
"THE SELF APPOINTED NSMGS SELF PROMOTED NZMGS BADGE GURU FROM WELLINGTON".....Ha ha thats very funny Ray....not childish IMO, bit true eh?
Geoff
Thanks for your comments Geoff, At least some people can see the truth.LoL
What part of the world are you based?
Regards
Ray
Old 22-06-14, 11:19 PM

Quote:
second childhood.LoL
Ray you know I have already seen and commented on your NZMG collection through private emails with Pukman, and you know I don’t buy into your green star patch being genuine, and you definitely know my views about circumventing our local Trade-me auction rules.

So seriously why would you want to wake me up by being deliberately patronising, or are you just egotistical?

For your information and others who would make such silly claims, I have never claimed to be a NZMGS badge expert or a guru, In fact it is just one of many badge subjects that I am interested in, and badges are only a small but necessary part of my overall military interests.

Pukman and I have buried the hatchet, and both agree it is much better to put our personal differences aside and concentrate our efforts to obtain a better understanding of New Zealand badges.
Ray, you need to move on, I certainly have.

P.S. your comments regarding Tinto as a side kick is well out of order. Tinto’s NZ badge collection was originally started by his father and would rate as one of the oldest known badge collections in New Zealand, and between Tinto and Laurie Osborne, they more than anybody else have both unstintingly provided their collections for the benefit of all NZ badge enthusiasts.

Last edited by atillathenunns; 22-06-14 at 11:28 PM.
Old 22-06-14, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigilans View Post
Geoff
You really need to act like a grown up.
Old 24-06-14, 05:45 PM

Smile NZMG badge collection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atillathenunns View Post
Ray you know I have already seen and commented on your NZMG collection through private emails with Pukman, and you know I don’t buy into your green star patch being genuine, and you definitely know my views about circumventing our local Trade-me auction rules.

So seriously why would you want to wake me up by being deliberately patronising, or are you just egotistical?

For your information and others who would make such silly claims, I have never claimed to be a NZMGS badge expert or a guru, In fact it is just one of many badge subjects that I am interested in, and badges are only a small but necessary part of my overall military interests.

Pukman and I have buried the hatchet, and both agree it is much better to put our personal differences aside and concentrate our efforts to obtain a better understanding of New Zealand badges.
Ray, you need to move on, I certainly have.

P.S. your comments regarding Tinto as a side kick is well out of order. Tinto’s NZ badge collection was originally started by his father and would rate as one of the oldest known badge collections in New Zealand, and between Tinto and Laurie Osborne, they more than anybody else have both unstintingly provided their collections for the benefit of all NZ badge enthusiasts.
Brent, Reading your tread, Who is doing the patronising now.
How could you have possibly seen and commented on this collection.
This is the first time these badge have been mounted together and the first time they have been shown.
Egotistical a big word with a big meaning,(Thinking to highly of ones self or
Fully self absorbed. Thats hot coming from you. Take a look in the mirror and watch this explanation bite you on the back end.
As for the NZMG green patch.Everyone is entitled to their opinion.
You made the same statement when i was enquiring with the NZ Lads on the forum about a NZ Armed Constabulary Badge I had, I received a lot of constructive replies off the NZ lads except your negative one.
Do some research on this badge it may enlighten you.
Brent, I tagged the NZMGS Guru on you after following the thread on this subject and seeing, you were the one making the most noise.
During my service in the Brigade of Guards I was sent on a Machine Gun course at the Support Weapons Wing at Netheravon in Wiltshire.
Then spent my time in the army in B Support Company 1st Battalion Scots Guards as No1 in the MG Section.The point being, you made some remarks during the NZMGS Thread that I found amusing.these were made on your assumption.
I wish you had been in my section in those days. I may have made a better man of you.LoL
Pleased to hear you and Pukman are good friends now, Thats the way it should be on this Forum we only pass this way once.
As for your unwanted advice for me to move. I tell you man, I am quite happy where I am.
As you are assuming I mention Tinto in my thread, I can,t see his name mentioned.I am quite sure the man can speak for himself.
My last and final bit you are getting off me.
You mentioned the rules on TradeMe.I was always taught that rules were made to be bent but not broken.
If anyone wants to spend their hard earned cash on TradeMe It is their business
and nothing to do with you.
I now rest my case,So carry on collecting and learning.
your aye
ray smith.
ps To you NZ lads who read this thread, I have not long returned from a wonderful tour of your beautiful country.
Met up with a lot of your most knowledgeable Dealers, including Geoff Oldham
Laurie Osbourne and lots of most accommodating collectors from the North and South Island. A most enjoyable time .
I recommend any badge collector to visit NZ and meet up with these most obliging people. A big thanks to you all.
Old 25-06-14, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Brent, Reading your tread, Who is doing the patronising now.
How could you have possibly seen and commented on this collection.
This is the first time these badge have been mounted together and the first time they have been shown.
Ray, it was my understanding that you gave Pukman your consent to send me the following picture of your NZMG collection, and that in turn he had passed on my comments (including asking for close ups of the red MG patch which he also sent me). It was also my understanding that you knew that I intended to post it on the NZMGS thread that I had started. If that is incorrect, accept my apologies.

So you have changed the background colour and added some more badges most of which are common enough, but it is the rare ones such as the two pictured below which is a shame they have left New Zealand, as it is highly unlikely that there is “2 comparable examples permanently held in New Zealand public collections.”

And I know you are aware of what I speak of, as you were very much involved in thread that was the cause of Pukman and me to no longer trust each other.
http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ad.php?t=24527
Quote:
As for the NZMG green patch.Everyone is entitled to their opinion.
My opinion was based on matching NZ patches from several different collections, including one from the oldest collection in New Zealand, and one from the collection of Malcolm Thomas (Co writer of the New Zealand patch book), in fact, in size, material and stitching, your green star patch does not match any of the NZ WW1 patches that were worn on the back of the tunic.
Quote:
You made the same statement when i was enquiring with the NZ Lads on the forum about a NZ Armed Constabulary Badge I had, I received a lot of constructive replies off the NZ lads except your negative one.
Do some research on this badge it may enlighten you.
I was unaware that you had posted “a NZ Armed Constabulary Badge” so I did do some research and found your original thread, which interestingly I don’t appear to have commented on.
http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ad.php?t=15440
It seems Tinto was suspicious of the lugs and someone else considered it to be an early copy, so I really don’t get the point you are trying to make.
Quote:
Brent, I tagged the NZMGS Guru on you after following the thread on this subject and seeing, you were the one making the most noise.
You call it noise, I call it positively contributing for a better understanding for the benefit of all who are interested.
Quote:
During my service in the Brigade of Guards I was sent on a Machine Gun course at the Support Weapons Wing at Netheravon in Wiltshire.
Then spent my time in the army in B Support Company 1st Battalion Scots Guards as No1 in the MG Section.The point being, you made some remarks during the NZMGS Thread that I found amusing.these were made on your assumption.
I wish you had been in my section in those days. I may have made a better man of you.LoL
Fortunately for me I was brought up by a man who served as No1 in a MG Section of the New Zealand 27th Machine Gun Battalion, so luckily I didn’t need your help with manly guidance.
Quote:
Pleased to hear you and Pukman are good friends now, Thats the way it should be on this Forum we only pass this way once.
Puk and I are not friends, we have shared a peace pipe, and both agree it is much better to put our personal differences aside and concentrate our efforts to obtain a better understanding of New Zealand badges.
Quote:
As for your unwanted advice for me to move. I tell you man, I am quite happy where I am.
OK, I will put it this way. — “Recognise the point of ‘no gain’ in a discussion and move on.”
Quote:
As you are assuming I mention Tinto in my thread, I can,t see his name mentioned.I am quite sure the man can speak for himself.
The only forum member I know from Gisborne is Tinto who I have not seen log on for some time, he certainly does not deserve any disrespect from you.
Old 25-06-14, 08:36 AM

Default NZMG badge collection.

[FONT="ArGOOD NIGHT BRENT> [/FONT
Old 25-06-14, 10:48 AM

I was fortunate to host my good friend Ray for a week ,when he was over in NZ recently .As I say a true friend and very generous to me and my family .