British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > New Zealand Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-02-10, 06:21 PM

Default New Zealand shoulder titles Boer War.

Can anyone tell me what, if any metal shoulder title was worn by New Zealand troops during service in the Boer War. Regards Phil.
Old 16-02-10, 08:36 PM

Hello Phil,
Here are some of the shoulder titles worn in Boer War.
Others include 9th/NEW ZEALAND, MR, ROUGH/NZ/RIDERS, NZRR, IXNZ, 7/NEW ZEALAND, NEW/7/ZEALAND.
Cheers, Tinto
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NZMR shouldertitles.jpg (59.1 KB, 86 views)
Old 17-02-10, 02:05 PM

Thank's for posting those Tinto, the reason i was asking is i have a photograph from i believe the Boer War which came with another of Richard 'King Dick' Seddon.The chap in the front row is wearing shoulder titles with an upward curve, which don't match any of yours,i do know that Australian troops had this form of title at a latter date.I have posted the image, which could well be of British troops,it looks as though it was taken during a siege or in a defended position, sanger etc.I must say i would not like to have tangled with this mob even in an extremely well lit alley.Regards Phil.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg boer war 1.jpg (85.0 KB, 51 views)
Old 17-02-10, 05:32 PM

Hello Phil,
That's a great photograph, clearer than most taken in the Boer War period, thanks for posting it.
The uniforms are very much like those the New Zealanders wore but I cannot be absolutely certain.
"King Dick" Seddon, as you would know, was the New Zealand prime minster at the time.
Cheers, Tinto
Old 17-02-10, 08:18 PM

Yes it is a good image, just a shame i cant pin down the 'mob'.maybe one of our Australian members would like to comment?.Regards.Phil.
Old 01-03-10, 06:23 PM

Can anyone tell me for sure if this Boer war shoulder title was worn by NZ troops.I know it is illustrated in Corbetts reference book ,but that it is no way a gaurantee.Is there photographic evidence of it being worn by NZ troops?

The example i have seen(sorry not pictured) is sandcast with only one of its pins remaining.It certainly looks genuine to me,and i believe that sandcasting badges was done in South Africa
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NZMR Trooper 1 023.jpg (11.4 KB, 13 views)
Old 01-03-10, 07:07 PM

Pukman that would appear to me to be a City of London Yeomanry ( Rough Riders ) collar/hat badge.Regards Phil.
Old 02-03-10, 08:09 AM

Thanks for that information Phil.It still poses a few questions for me i.e what is it doing in a NZ badge reference book.Could it be us kiwis borrowed the design off the British badge to use as our own Rough riders.The badges of the time were unofficial so anythings possible.The aussies may have also borrowed the design as i found this woven badge on digger.com for their Rough riders

cheers iain
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 013-3.jpg (3.6 KB, 4 views)
Old 02-03-10, 11:14 AM

Iain it would appear that some later drafts of New Zealand Mounted Rifles (Boer War) were untrained militarily but good horsemen and marksmen so took the R.R. title.There is a brass shoulder title but i cannot find a picture of the spur badge.The original Roughs were i believe the 1st U.S. Vol. Cav. commanded by Theodore Roosevelt in the 1898 Spanish American war.The City of London Imperial Yeomanry formed in 1900 took the R.R. title serving in South Africa.From your illustrations it would appear that NZMR used the same spur and initial devise as the COLY, it would be interesting to know if the 1st US CAV had a similar badge.Regards Phil.
Old 02-03-10, 08:47 PM

Thanks for your input Phil,

The 3rd and 4th contingents(10 contingents in total) of NZMR in South Africa ,were the only contigents to call themselves the Rough Riders.They also wore a shoulder title NZRR.Some members of the 3rd and 4th NZMR,possibly wore the RR in a stirrup,although i have no photographic evidence as yet ,of which i an seeking through this forum.The only evidence i have is through a NZ badge reference book,that doesn't elaborate why the badge is pictured along with other badges of the NZMR in South Africa ,1899-1902.

regards Iain
Old 03-03-10, 11:08 AM

I will have a hunt as well to see if there is any evidence of wear. Regards Phil.
Old 18-03-10, 11:03 PM

Hi all,

For those who are interested I have included a bit of information on badges worn by the various NZ contingents during the Boer war in a post on a different site, this includes makers of the shoulder titles, collar badges and makers of the cloth badges worn by the rough riders.

You will find my post on the following forum
http://www.militarianz.co.nz/

It is located in the ‘ANZAC and Allied Militaria’ section under ‘WW1 Uniforms’ and is titled “Boer War Uniforms, Hats and Equipment.”

Brent

Last edited by atillathenunns; 27-03-10 at 12:14 AM.
Old 19-03-10, 01:03 AM

Hi Brent,
A mammoth task you have set yourself, and a great resource.
Well done.
Tinto
Old 20-03-10, 11:42 PM

Thankyou for your encouraging comments Tinto.

As can be seen by the supporting document, nothing had been done in recording the insignia worn by the New Zealand contingents during the Boer war.

The New Zealand badge bible “The Regimental Badges of New Zealand” by Dave Corbett unfortunately contains only two short paragraphs on page 125 dealing with the subject of badges worn by the NZ contingents, which seems to be based on photographic evidence.
Only recently has it started to become apparent that some of the badges pictured in Corbetts book were not actually worn by the NZ contingents at all.

The information regarding badges that I have included in my post on the Militarianz site is primarily based on historical written records of the time.
Although it does not cover every single badge worn by our contingents, it does include some important information that has been forgotten, such as the first true insignia that was adopted by the first contingents on their helmets.

The following photo of NZMR shoulder titles was supplied to me by Tinto for another project.
The one at the top is typical of those that were worn by NZ mounted rifle reinforcements during the First World War, the two below are typical of those that were worn by NZMR volunteers and the NZ Boer war contingents.

Old 27-03-10, 12:17 AM

Heres a better link to the post mentioned earlier.

http://militarianz.freeforums.org/ne...ent-t1650.html