British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > Army

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 08-03-09, 11:38 PM

Default Zambia Army Signal Corps

When Zambia came into being its Signal Squadron wore the Royal Signals cap badge minus the crown. This continued to be worn up until about 1980 I believe along with infantry collars. Is this cap badge still worn minus the crown or have they finally got around to including the Fish Eagle to replace the crown? I note that there are three large enamal arm shields with Jimmy on a white over blue background. Presume these are parade dress items only. Does any one actually know what Zambia Signals wear now?
Rgds Quicksilver
Old 20-05-09, 06:50 PM

Hi Quicksilver.I collect Northern Rhodesia and some time ago bought a pair of sealed pattern Northern Rhodesia Signals Corps collars.Anyway thats what the label says but they are dated post independence but wstill 1964 so in effect they must be ZCS.They are as you say Royal Signals minus the crown.regards,craig.
Old 20-05-09, 08:49 PM

Hi Chingola,
Many thanks for your comments. I am interested to read that the Signal Squadron wore R Signals collars at first. Note R Signals dont wear a crown over their collars unlike the Federation of Rhodesia and Nyasaland and Rhodesia Corps of Signals who did. As a point of interest, a senior RNZSignals officer I interviewed for my history of RNZSigs pubished some years back had been OC Zambia Signal Squadron and wore the R Sigs cap minus the crown but wore the inf regt collar badges. I have a poor coloured photo of him wearing them. He left Zambian Army Signals for RhSigs in 1970 so that is what he wore in 1970. I have no idea what has been worn in the past 35 years or so. As regards Zimbabwe, think they have their own Zimbabwe Signal collar badges now but have never seen any. They have had the Zimbabwe scrol on the cap badge for many years of course.
BRgds Quicksilver

Quote:
Originally Posted by chingola View Post
Hi Quicksilver.I collect Northern Rhodesia and some time ago bought a pair of sealed pattern Northern Rhodesia Signals Corps collars.Anyway thats what the label says but they are dated post independence but wstill 1964 so in effect they must be ZCS.They are as you say Royal Signals minus the crown.regards,craig.