British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 19-04-19, 04:49 PM

Default Nice Assortment of WW2 British Army Cloth Badges

A few bits that I picked up whilst out and about today.
The mix of Divisions (4th Infantry Division, 4th Indian Division and 13th Infantry Division) would suggest that this this lot relates to a soldier who served in the 1st/4th Essex Regiment during WW2 and shortly after. Nice to see uncut pairs of printed formation badges. Not my area of collecting so will be disposing of these.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1839.jpg (65.6 KB, 170 views)
Old 19-04-19, 04:51 PM

Another pick up today, nothing scarce or valuable, just a nice quality, post 1902 NCOs rank crown that has had a pin attachment added. Still retains it's original paper label Abraham & son, Contractor, Silver & Gold Lacemen, 45 Dean Street, Soho, London
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1840.jpg (73.6 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1841.jpg (63.5 KB, 43 views)
Old 20-04-19, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oc14 View Post
The mix of Divisions (4th Infantry Division, 4th Indian Division and 13th Infantry Division) would suggest that this this lot relates to a soldier who served in the 1st/4th Essex Regiment during WW2 and shortly after. Nice to see uncut pairs of printed formation badges. Not my area of collecting so will be disposing of these.
Very nice - good to see a facing pair of 13 Inf Div signs - the number of horseshoe nail holes varies from Left to Right. What attention to detail! Mike
Old 20-04-19, 08:57 AM

Mike,

A good spot. Something I had not noticed.

Jon
Old 20-04-19, 01:37 PM

I've wondered before about the nail arrangement of a horse shoe- anyone know why they often have more nail holes on one side than the other? I've been unable to find a reason via Google. Regards, Paul.
Old 20-04-19, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardog View Post
I've wondered before about the nail arrangement of a horse shoe- anyone know why they often have more nail holes on one side than the other? I've been unable to find a reason via Google. Regards, Paul.
Not sure if this helps :

"That includes a difference between left and right hooves, just like human feet. The outside breadth of the shoe is typically longer than the inside. Prefabricated horseshoes are even marked to indicate whether they are made for right or left hooves.

There are typically six nails per horseshoe, though some may use eight."
Old 20-04-19, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_vee View Post
Not sure if this helps :

"That includes a difference between left and right hooves, just like human feet. The outside breadth of the shoe is typically longer than the inside. Prefabricated horseshoes are even marked to indicate whether they are made for right or left hooves.

There are typically six nails per horseshoe, though some may use eight."
Well done! I have been wondering for decades Mike
Old 30-04-19, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oc14 View Post
I have tried to send you a message in pvt but it looks like you had your mail box full and not accepting any messages!