British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Sweetheart, Veteran, Lapel Badges and Challenge Coins

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-06-13, 11:06 PM

Thanks for doing this Bill. Now all I have to do is figure out what box my Irish Regiment of Canada Unit coin, not the one posted here but my numbered coin.

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
Old 07-06-13, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Dorosh View Post
I'd have to dig for the info now, but our association was distributing lucky wooden nickels a decade ago or so, and I believe the tradition was linked to a similar item that was distributed in the trenches by the 10th Battalion, C.E.F. during the First World War. I'm positive I am mis-remembering the details but I do still have my lucky wooden nickel at home. I'll talk to the museum and association fellows and see if I can be less obscure. The nickels had printing on both sides and I believe had the date of, IIRC, the Vimy Ridge battle on one side, and the 10th Bn cap badge on the other - the story behind the nickels is lost to memory. I seem to recall a soldiers' name, rank and service number being on the nickel as well.
This is the image of the coin I was referring to.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg coin1.jpg (56.4 KB, 55 views)
Old 07-06-13, 02:14 PM

That is interesting. I did a quick look up and found did in fact find Walter Allen Loudon, with the Service Number 446717. I do not however see where he was a fatality. I wounder if he was wounded at Vimy?

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca