British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > New Zealand Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 08-02-11, 07:43 AM

Default NZEF

Hey guys, question?, just who did wear these badges during WWI?

thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NZEF.jpg (61.7 KB, 38 views)
Old 08-02-11, 10:01 AM

the cap and collars are reinforcement badges worn from 34th reinforcement draft onwards

apparently about 38th reinforcements the Onward badge became common

however possible these were worn to the end of the war

the shoulder titles I just don't know - there are a lot of them about - perhaps after WW1

other more knowledgable types will have an opinion
Old 08-02-11, 11:37 AM

There is a long story that connects the WW1 New Zealand shoulder titles and NZEF cap and collar badges to a NZ National badge that wasn’t adopted until 1939.

The short version starts with Sergeant Johns submission of a sketch of an ANZAC badge to the NZ High Commissioner in London in September 1915.
When the NZ troops arrived in England from Gallipoli, the NZ High Commissioner organised new uniforms and badges for them. The badges issued to the men were the curved New Zealand shoulder titles.
The NZEF cap and collar badges were indeed worn from the 34th reinforcement draft onwards.

As far as I am aware, the NZEF cap and collar badges were not worn with the New Zealand curved shoulder titles. (Worn with NZR titles)

Photographic evidence suggests the NZ fern onwards badge was in use by the 18th reinforcements.
Old 09-02-11, 08:05 AM

Thanks for the info, so after the 34th rein they stopped wearing the provicial badges??

thanks
Old 09-02-11, 10:15 AM

I believe the NZEF infantry reinforcement badges were worn until the person was assigned to a regimental or corps unit where it was replaced by a regimental or corps badge.

I would like to mention that although there is good evidence that the NZ High Commissioner organised 2050 pairs of curved “New Zealand” shoulder titles (50 pairs were bronze). I also have reasonably good evidence that suggests they were also produced as reinforcement badges.

I would also like to mention that Dave Corbett mentions in his badge book that the NZ fern leaf onward badge was produced and worn in 1915.
However I am more inclined to believe it was 1916.