British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Other Army Departments and Corps Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 26-05-11, 05:30 PM

Smile Scripture Reader

I have a pair of Scripture Reader "slip-on" shoulder titles similar to the one shown in the link below.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Whilst I am happy with them, I have never heard of any reference as to who wore them. Were they worn by members of the Chaplains Department or just anybody with a religious background who fancied preaching the gospel.

I am sure knowledeable forum members will help me on this one.

Regards Rob
Old 26-05-11, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator

Rob,

They are not the Chaplain's dept but Christian volunteers in uniform. They are still around today.
Old 26-05-11, 06:21 PM

I had ( incorrectly I think ) thought that Army Scripture Readers ( and those in the Navy, because I think I have read that they are also in the Navy ) were members of regiments and corps of the armed forces who had a religious belief and as a consequence " preached" ( for want of a better word) to their comrades.

Alan you seem to be suggesting that they are not members of a particular unit but only attached to a regiment and this is the case I wonder what they wear as a cap badge ?

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 26-05-11, 06:34 PM

Default Scripture Reader

Thanks chaps for the replies, interesting what Peter says about a cap badge, I have seen ASR in a wreath at an auction recently which is probably what they wear, but do they just adopt this and the slip-ons when scripture reading and revert back to wearing their regimental or corps badges when not involved with religious activities.

Rob
Old 26-05-11, 06:38 PM

As far as I am aware those serving with SASRA (Soldiers' and Airmens' Scripture Readers Association) are full-time paid employees of that Charity. Working in exactly the same way in the Royal Navy is another Charity The Royal Sailors' Rests (better known as Aggie Weston's after Dame Agnes Weston the founder).
As I was the full-time, paid Missioner in Charge of the Portland RSR, our normal day to day uniform was a blue 'woolly pully' with dark blue cloth sliders embroided with Royal Sailors Rests in gold. A dark blue beret was also worn with a gold wire wreath cap badge the centre of which was maroon with the gold wire initials RSR. I must admit this was never popular with those of us Missioners as it was very similar to an RN officers' and walking around a dockyard we would experience the embarrasment of continually being saluted!
I think I am right in saying that Scripture Readers were in the main former soldiers whilst the RSR tended to use former RN sailors, although I believe this rule has now been relaxed.
Peter4447
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SASRA_Badge_001-223x178.jpg (12.8 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by peter4447; 26-05-11 at 06:52 PM.
Old 26-05-11, 06:44 PM

When I had anything to do with the ASRs (1978) they were Civilians who were allowed by the CO to enter Barracks and talk to the soldiers. The shoulder strap slip ons are a new thing (no idea from when) our ASR wore Army Khaki trousers, shirt and Green Jersey Heavy Wool with the cloth shoulder designation SCRIPTURE READER and a Warrant Officers khaki cap with the ASR in a wreath badge.

From the MoD website;

Army Scripture Readers are concerned with the spiritual welfare of service personnel.

They wear uniform on duty but are normally addressed by their Christian name. They visit barrack rooms, guardrooms, work areas, rest rooms, and hospitals and, on invitation, married quarters. They seek to befriend service personnel and to share their practical experience of the Christian faith.

Also http://www.sasra.org.uk/pages/pv.asp?p=sasra2

Marc
Old 26-05-11, 06:46 PM

Peter,

Fascinating stuff, are you able to post a picture of your old beret badge ?.

Hopefully somebody will be able to give chapter and verse ( no pun intended ) on the cap badge worn by Army Scripture Readers.

P.B.

This was posted before I saw 54Bty`s reply

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 26-05-11, 06:53 PM

Hi PB
Will post a piccy of the RSR cap Badge tomorrow (its in a suitacse in the loft!)

Have just attached the ASR badge to my post above.

Peter
Old 26-05-11, 07:05 PM
Banned

I remember having several chats with our Padre about the enormous role he had in dealing with matters spiritual for several squadrons. He went into huge praise about his scripture readers and the role they played in lightening his load. His main grouse was, of course, that the Army Chaplains Department was so terribly underfunded that, had it not been for civilian volunteers, the work could not have been done to the standard it was. Even in the field, Padre relied on volunteer servicemen (with a deep faith) to assist with services such as communion and (for the RC Padre) much more. Unsung heroes, I suppose.
Old 26-05-11, 07:13 PM

I dont know if ASR`s go back before WW1 but in 1916 the uniform sanctioned for male personnel of the YMCA was extended to the Scottish Churches Huts and to Army Scripture Readers.

The badge which has now been described and illustrated was authorised in ACI 2010 of 22nd October 1916 .

P.B.

Old 26-05-11, 07:18 PM

Hi again PB
A quick trip to the attic!

As requested the Royal Sailors' Rests cap badge.

Peter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RSR 028.jpg (82.0 KB, 28 views)
Old 26-05-11, 07:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thfoot View Post
I dont know if ASR`s go back before WW1 but in 1916 the uniform sanctioned for male personnel of the YMCA was extended to the Scottish Churches Huts and to Army Scripture Readers.

The badge which has now been described and illustrated was authorised in ACI 2010 of 22nd October 1916 .

P.B.
I believe the development of Army Scripture Readers in WW1 was as a result of repeated appeals by Army Padres (or Chaplains, if you prefer) for more help in the field. Almost goes without saying, considering what was going on at the time, doesn't it ?
Old 26-05-11, 07:49 PM

I have a book about the Scripture Readers that they produce themselves.
Old 26-05-11, 08:33 PM

Cool Many thanks . . !

Well forum members, once again I have asked a question and been fully answered. Many thanks to all and well answered with descriptions down to the clothing worn by Scripture Readers.

This truly is the forum for badge collectors.

Many thanks Rob
Old 26-05-11, 08:48 PM
Former Member

Unless beaten to it, I'll upload some ASR cap badge images over the weekend!

Best regards

Andy