British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Formation and Tasking Signs

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 24-04-10, 07:23 PM

Default Help ID

I have seen this called a rank badge but I can find no reference for that.

Thank you your help
John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cdn 1.jpg (29.8 KB, 16 views)
Old 24-04-10, 07:41 PM

Hello John.This badge, if I'm not mistaken, was worn with corporal's chevrons of the Queen's Own Rifles of Canada,on the old uniform, the battle-dress.I'm sure someone will come up with a clearer explanation.
Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 25-04-10, 12:02 AM

Thanks Sydney,
Did any other Regts. wear something similar?

John
Old 25-04-10, 02:28 AM

No, the "2" in the bugle was only for the QOR in the post-52 era.As for the other rifle regiments, I don't recall anything similar for them.

Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”

Old 25-04-10, 02:42 AM

Default Queen's Own Rifles

The QOR of Canada has a regular military band. It also has a corps of bugles. The leader of the Bugle Band is known as the Bugle-Major and does not carry a mace. I suspect this badge is either for a bugler, or more likely, the NCO in charge of the corps (i.e. the Bugle-Major).

When this band gives a public performance it is usually dressed in the 'old' rifle-green uniform, so I'm pretty sure the badge is still in current use.

Last edited by halkyard; 25-04-10 at 02:51 AM.
Old 26-04-10, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halkyard View Post
The QOR of Canada has a regular military band. It also has a corps of bugles. The leader of the Bugle Band is known as the Bugle-Major and does not carry a mace. I suspect this badge is either for a bugler, or more likely, the NCO in charge of the corps (i.e. the Bugle-Major).

When this band gives a public performance it is usually dressed in the 'old' rifle-green uniform, so I'm pretty sure the badge is still in current use.
So it could be worn by a sgt, also?

John
Old 26-04-10, 01:21 AM

Yes it's a possibility.I have included a photograph of two member of the QOR in period uniform. On the left is a seargent with the badge.If you can increase the size of the photo, you will see the sgt's chevrons with the badge
Jo

http://www.canadianbattlefieldsfound...ges/bern-1.jpg

Old 26-04-10, 01:31 AM

Default Queen's Own Rifles

My guess is the "Bugle-Major' would normally be a corporal. However I am certainly not an authority. If you want a definitive answer you might try sending an e-mail to the Regimental Association. Their e-mail address is:-

association.toronto@qor.com

Good Luck.
Old 27-04-10, 02:05 AM

The QOR did not use Lance Corporals. They had Acting Corporals and Confirmed Corporals. The Acting Corporal wore the two chevrons. The Confirmed Corporals wore the two Chevrons with the QOR2 badge above them. This is why this badge is described as a rank badge as well as a unit identifier.

Cheers, Darby
Old 27-04-10, 02:25 AM

Thanks Jo and Tonanti,

Would it be correct then to say it is an NCO badge or Bugle-Major?

John
Old 27-04-10, 02:27 AM

IMO, an NCO badge.
Jo

Old 28-04-10, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitebone View Post
The QOR did not use Lance Corporals. They had Acting Corporals and Confirmed Corporals. The Acting Corporal wore the two chevrons. The Confirmed Corporals wore the two Chevrons with the QOR2 badge above them. This is why this badge is described as a rank badge as well as a unit identifier.

Cheers, Darby
Thanks Darby,

That is why I have seen it called different things.

John