British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-04-12, 06:03 PM

Default DLI / 9th Indian / 15th Scottish

Just picked up these. Been looking for a good, genuine pair of 15th Scottish for a while so I'm hoping these are good ones....

Can someone confirm the first pair....D.L.I. ?? (dark green background / yellow thread)

And, the 8th Indian Div. ......bullion thread on these.....officer's ?

Old 04-04-12, 09:02 PM

I think the first pair is the regimental flash of 181 Fd Regt RA (ex-6 KSLI). This regiment served in 15 (S) Div.
Old 04-04-12, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jackson View Post
I think the first pair is the regimental flash of 181 Fd Regt RA (ex-6 KSLI). This regiment served in 15 (S) Div.
That's interesting.....

The lot I bought came with quite a lot of other R.A. stuff.....pair of shoulder titles, R.A. cap badge, facing-pair cannon collar-dogs & a Sergent's leather wrist-strap (brass Sgt. stripes, overlaid with another R.A. cannon).

Maybe also related to the 15th Scottish patches.

Many thanks for suggestion....I'll look further into that.
Old 05-04-12, 05:20 AM

181 Fd Regt RA has a comprehensive and excellent website "Guns and Bugles" - lots of images of stalwart Shropshire Gunners wearing Tam o' Shanters - as was the custom in 15 (S) Div for most non-Scots units.
Old 05-04-12, 06:05 AM

Coming right on top of the thread on MNBDO (Mobile Naval Base Defence Organisation) badges this is amazing, as my father served with them and I had previously been unaware of the MNBDO2 Polar Bear badge.

Following on the above my thoughts had gone to trying to find out something about 15 (Scottish) General Hospital, Cairo, where my father spent many months after being blown up in Italy, and before being returned to UK to be invalided out of the Royal Marines after twenty six years service - something he could not accept in his mind, and he never quite got over it.

Am I right in assuming that hospital would have been manned by personnel from 15 Scottish Division......it sounds like it to me......and can anybody please tell me anything about that hospital.

Edited to add: I just looked up the history of the hospital on that amazing machine Google, and assume it was indeed manned by personnel from 15 Scottish division

Many thanks,

John

Last edited by johnG; 05-04-12 at 06:36 AM.
Old 05-04-12, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnG View Post
Coming right on top of the thread on MNBDO (Mobile Naval Base Defence Organisation) badges this is amazing, as my father served with them and I had previously been unaware of the MNBDO2 Polar Bear badge.

Following on the above my thoughts had gone to trying to find out something about 15 (Scottish) General Hospital, Cairo, where my father spent many months after being blown up in Italy, and before being returned to UK to be invalided out of the Royal Marines after twenty six years service - something he could not accept in his mind, and he never quite got over it.

Am I right in assuming that hospital would have been manned by personnel from 15 Scottish Division......it sounds like it to me......and can anybody please tell me anything about that hospital.

Edited to add: I just looked up the history of the hospital on that amazing machine Google, and assume it was indeed manned by personnel from 15 Scottish division

Many thanks,

John
John,
I cannot believe that there would have been any connection between 15 (S) Div and 15 (S) AGH (apart from the number and the fact that they emanated from Scotland. 15 (S) Div never left UK until mid-1944 and then served only in NW Europe.
Mike
Old 05-04-12, 08:20 AM

To answer the original question... The 15th Scottish badges are good indeed, very nice ones.
Old 05-04-12, 08:58 AM

Thanks Mike,

Then it is as you say - just a coincidence of numbers, and after all there are only ten numerals in the pack from which to choose.
My father was blown up in Italy in 1943, so that completely rules out the hospital as having been staffed by 15 Scottish Div.
Kind regards,
John
Old 06-04-12, 12:30 PM

Thanks for advice so far.

Please find attached photo of what I now reckon are one lot.....

Old 06-04-12, 01:49 PM

Excellent. Now find his Tam o' Shanter!