British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 24-04-12, 06:10 PM

Default QC Commonwealth Division types?!

Hello,

I've recently acquired a second (official) QC formation patch. However, I've got some questions about it.

Unlike my previous one, this seems to be of totally different construction. It does not have the backing material and seems (!) to have been cut out of some sort of role of printed badges, even though it is embroidered.

Could I have your comments on this please? Is the one on the left just a messed up, used version of the same badge or are they of totally different manufacture? I'd be really grateful for any info you can give me!
Old 24-04-12, 07:49 PM

Default 1 Comwel Div

As issued these SkE signs came in a rectangular format. The surplus was normally folded under before it was sewn on uniform (or brassard). In the case of the one on the left, the surplus has been cut off, possibly to make it look the correct shield shape in an album. The sign on the right has been very profesionally folded under and sewn to a piece of backing material - making it much easier to sew onto uniform. Here's an example of how it was normally done:
Comwel Div.01.jpg
Old 24-04-12, 09:05 PM

Thank you very much!

Does this give any clue as to the origin of the patch on the right? Surely it must have been quite a big (and unnecissary) job to do so much work to it!?

All the best,

BP
Old 25-04-12, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigade Piron View Post
Thank you very much!

Does this give any clue as to the origin of the patch on the right? Surely it must have been quite a big (and unnecissary) job to do so much work to it!?

All the best,

BP
A personal choice I imagine. But it was (maybe still is) a fact that skilful work of this nature was very affordable on the Indian sub-continent and in the Far East. I purchase amazingly skilfully embroidered rank slides in Nepal 10 years ago for about US$1.50 the pair. Each must have reprsented hours of work.
Old 25-04-12, 07:45 AM

Hey mate
They are both fine.
They are of exactly the same construction (embroidered) but finished off a little differently. They were embroidered, probably 10-50 patches in a row at one time on a single sheet of material. They would have been clipped out and then attached/sewn to a uniform. The variation in the finish would have been due to a different tailor in a different shop or barracks sewing it on.
I have about 10 of these patches, single items and attached to uniforms and a couple on brassards. All are a little different
Cheers
BC
Old 25-04-12, 09:04 AM

The original badges for this formation were printed by the Calico Printers Association in Britain. They were much disliked and in December 1951 HQ British Commonwealth Forces Kore were given permission to buy the woven signs shown from Japanese manufacturers.

Information from a National Archives file.

Postwarden
Old 25-04-12, 09:07 AM

Here's a typical example from a brassard - worn by an officer in 5 RTR Nov 53 - Sep 54:
Comwel Div 5 RTR.01.jpg
Old 26-04-12, 12:59 AM

hi all
a few of mine
as you can see, there is the kings crown screen prited that was not popular.
the silk backed embroidered and a few bullion
bc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1154.JPG (57.0 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1155.JPG (87.5 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1153.JPG (79.3 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1156.JPG (86.7 KB, 25 views)
Old 26-04-12, 09:41 AM

Default Royal Marines in Commonwealth Div Korea

Saw the attached picture advertised as being worn by troops in Korean War. I'm aware that Bootnecks (41 [Independent] Commando) only served in Korea until '51 and so wouldn't have worn this (if it was worn in that conflict at all{?}) but wondered if anyone could tell me whether they would have worn the Kings Crown version shown above?

They wore US winter clothing but retained their own battle dress and green lids and so, if they wore this (or any other cloth insignia) specific to this campaign, it is more item(s) I have to search for

Ray
P.S. Would they have had special shoulder titles denoting the 'independent' tag
Attached Images
File Type: jpg korea.jpg (70.7 KB, 13 views)
Old 26-04-12, 10:10 AM

Default BCOF Japan/BCF Korea

This sign, in its two "crown variants", was worn initially from 1946 by British Commonwealth Occupation Forces Japan (BCOF Japan) and later by British Commonwealth Forces Korea (BCF Korea). At the time of the Korean War it was worn by British troops in both Korea and Japan, other than those entitled to wear the sign of 1 Comwel Div.
HQ BCF (located at Kobe. Japan) closed in early 1956.
I can't prove it but I doubt very much if 41 Cdo wore any insignia other than that worn on the BD when they arrived in Korea ie the ROYAL MARINES/ COMMANDO title and the Cdo Forces FS knife sign. I'm not sure that 41 Cdo was ever under command 1 Comwel Div and they will have eschewed from the BCF flash with its REMF connotations.
Old 26-04-12, 11:23 AM

Default Ta

Thanks Mike - According to the write up I read they arrived in civvies and were then issued US winter outer garments which they wore over their own BD. I think/hope you're right and that they only had the insignia common to their BD of the time
I'm told the 'Independent' tag was due to their CO being given automonous command - and that might well support your theory that they'd have shunned other theatre specific insignia.
Ray