British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 27-01-20, 12:25 PM

Default WW2 RAF Pilots Wings

Hi All,

I'm looking for a bit of advice.

I'm thinking about making a display for a relative who was a Hurricane pilot during WW2. I had thought about including a set of pilots wings - until I saw the prices.

So far I have seen them range from £10 to £200 and it has got me all confused.

How much should a real set of wings go for and are there any tips for spotting them, I have very little experience in buying cloth badges of any type so would really appreciate some help.

Is there any difference in ones worn during WW2 and post war ones (up until the Queen's Crown was put on obviously).

Thanks a lot,

Michael
Old 27-01-20, 02:00 PM

Ten quid would certainly be a bargain, but two hundred?
Who charges that?
I would have thought maybe around the fifty pounds mark these days would buy a good period badge.
Lots of them were made during the war and many would have been available afterwards from stock, both tailors for purchase and government for issue.
They do vary in terms of manufacturer and style from pre war and into the war, but, I'd just go to your nearest fair and start handling them perhaps before just buying a ten quid example on ebay, as you would doubtless end up being disappointed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
Hi All,

I'm looking for a bit of advice.

I'm thinking about making a display for a relative who was a Hurricane pilot during WW2. I had thought about including a set of pilots wings - until I saw the prices.

So far I have seen them range from £10 to £200 and it has got me all confused.

How much should a real set of wings go for and are there any tips for spotting them, I have very little experience in buying cloth badges of any type so would really appreciate some help.

Is there any difference in ones worn during WW2 and post war ones (up until the Queen's Crown was put on obviously).

Thanks a lot,

Michael
Old 27-01-20, 02:07 PM

Thanks a lot Frank, I'll try that.

Michael
Old 28-01-20, 09:50 AM

Well, I certainly think handling badges, cloth in particular, is a lot better than just looking at photographs, although, it is interesting to look at wartime portraits of pilots actually wearing them.
Old 03-03-20, 09:07 AM

Hi All,

Just to ask another question on this thread, I have noticed some repro wings for sale on ebay and you seem to get a choice between white and cream coloured wings then padded or flat.

Can anyone tell me what the difference is?

Was the colour difference down to different manufacturers, did it signify something or is this just a repro way of trying to make white ones look older?

While looking through threads I saw a comment about a flat one being issued but people going out to buy padded ones, is that the difference? Padded ones are private purchase?

Thanks for the help,

Michael
Old 03-03-20, 11:04 AM

The issue badge was flat during WWII with padded versions private purchase. They do vary a little, some lightly padded and others heavily padded. The colour of the threads do vary according to the manufacturer. Attached are some examples of different period wings, together with some examples of the fakes out there. Hope this heps.
Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wings 1.jpg (53.2 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg Wings 2.jpg (48.2 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg Fake Wings.jpg (55.6 KB, 31 views)
Old 04-03-20, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon166 View Post
The issue badge was flat during WWII with padded versions private purchase. They do vary a little, some lightly padded and others heavily padded. The colour of the threads do vary according to the manufacturer. Attached are some examples of different period wings, together with some examples of the fakes out there. Hope this heps.
Dave
Thanks button.
Old 04-03-20, 05:08 PM

Hi Dave,

I've just seen your pictures, together with your explanation they will be a great help.

Thank you very much,

Michael