British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Closed Thread

Old 10-07-13, 04:06 AM

I'm glad we are going back to traditional ranks and titles.

I hope we rid ourselves of "Brigadier General" and use Brigadier as it should be.

Finally, drop the Naval style salute, keep that for the RCN and go back to a proper Army salute, palm facing out.
Old 10-07-13, 10:13 AM

Default New Star something like this maybe?

Hopefully something like this:
Old 10-07-13, 01:25 PM
Super Moderator

Some press reports have indicated the rank of Private will virtually disappear with the changes. Perhaps they should tell this to the approximately 40 infantry regiments and branches/corps which will continue to use Pte (or the français equivalent Soldat)?
Old 10-07-13, 03:39 PM

I was just talking to the Adjt of the Highland regiment here. They had discussions on what they should call their soldiers. In the end they decided on "Private". The Armoured regiment here has always called their trained soldiers Troopers, and I've never seen the arty call their junior ranks anything other than Gunner and Bombardier. Glad to see NDHQ has finally caught up with the real world. Perhaps they should get out more.
Old 10-07-13, 04:47 PM

If uniforms are going to have to be changed to accomodate the new rank insignia I wonder whether they'll consider changing the colour of the uniform back to khaki, or whatever the official description is.
David
Old 10-07-13, 04:52 PM

Having spent 26+ years in the regular force, I learned that there are always going to be uniform/insignia changes. It is nice when it "tips the hat" to our heritage, but it really doesn't change the day to day job.
For the sake of soldiers, I hope that the new insignia is visible - I recall the day when a sergeant and I (cpl) were squinting at each other's CADPAT slip ons because we couldn't see the rank clearly and didn't want to get crapped on for not saluting.
Plus, officer cadet rank can be difficult to distinguish from 2Lt at a distance.

Phil

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Last edited by Phillip Herring; 19-07-13 at 02:29 PM.
Old 10-07-13, 04:54 PM

I just noticed on the CSC Forum that the RCAF is reverting to its old rank names.
http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/sunnews...Y2A.like%22%7D
David
Old 10-07-13, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tremain View Post
I just noticed on the CSC Forum that the RCAF is reverting to its old rank names.
http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/sunnews...Y2A.like%22%7D
David
If they really want to "go historical", they should stay with army ranks as an homage to the Royal Flying Corps.

Phil

Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Old 10-07-13, 05:55 PM

Perhaps to distinguish the officers from the the NCOs (specifically the WO vs. Maj), keep a single stripe on the slipon as the officer identifier, and the stars/crown above. OCdts. would have just the stripe. In the preunification days OCdts. would have a white stripe, or sometimes a pip on a white stripe, on the shoulder strap.
Old 11-07-13, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaydodger View Post
It was a nightmare in Banja Luka, It was almost impossible to tell Brit WOII from Brit Majors, especially with subdued rank, worn center of the chest, granted their rank insignia varies from regiment to regiment. Our WO were constantly saluted by the Brits, but they never mistook officers stripes for anything but officers rank.
I figured this would come up. More recently I was a Cdn WO assigned to a mainly Brit formation in Afg. As well there were USAF, Bulgarian, Romanian, Danish, and US Army working in numbers in a close sub-unit formation. All of us in our desert pattern combat clothing with rank slip-ons (less USAF). I would get the very occasional salute, mainly from Brits or other commonwealth types. No issues, as we learned..........There was some talk of everyone wearing a corresponding US rank device somewhere on the combat uniform. Didn't fly tho'!!

I liked the Australian idea in that their Majors wore a small black crown on their slip-on and their WO2s had a larger crown but with a large black square around it.

I could have posted before Clive as the CANFORGEN came in this AM but as a serving soldier, I truly have no opinion. If I had to weigh in on a side, then probably I am in favour. It's just not that important to me right now. I see the morale angle but that is fleeting once it's established. Move on, next, kinda thing. I've been Reg since '84 and we (from whatever element or trade) will change and carry on. It was 20 minutes of engaging conversation at the office today and that's about it. We got on with our day.

Thanks Clive. Don't get me wrong. No doubt some considerable output and careful thought on your group's part. (can your group get me a few more Leo IIA4s?)

Suddenly tho', the pips in my collection just became more valuable!!

regards
Darrell
Old 11-07-13, 02:12 AM

When i was tasked to Tampa I saw most "foreign" officers wearing the equivalent US rank insignia.

Phil

Old 11-07-13, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator

Darrel, I was thinking along the same lines. How many of the "old style" stars will make it onto uniforms?
Old 11-07-13, 03:27 PM

The officers in my regiment just voted to return to pips and crowns on mess kit. How many of them will go out and buy "new" pips? How many will end up with a mixture of old British/ new Canadian? I have already had officers ask me if I have any spare pips in the museum collection that they can have.
Old 11-07-13, 09:32 PM

Hi Bill

I have a couple of nice pips somewhere.

Used to have more but saw no market in hoarding tin and copper pips. I have in the past, supplied an appropriate badge or bit n bob to some Regt'l types from different units so maybe soon there will be young gents wanting "cool" mess kit bits.

The killer will be the different designs.

regards
Darrell
Old 12-07-13, 12:20 AM

I am all for for the pips and crown. Long time coming back. I'm just not sure how I feel about the General officer's losing the maple leafs. Maybe a gold braid like the G.G. but with maple leaves. I always felt that the maple leaves were a Cdn twist to the US General stars. Another thought, sub maple leaf for the crown on general officers.

Just putting it out there. I'm sure that there will be other thoughts, , however I definitely don't move in the right circles.

Chris