British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Military Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-07-21, 10:15 AM

Another set of interesting items , I always get jealous when I see the great BL badges you have !

1. Life Member : Post 1945 Gaunt badge with a 'k' prefix , I use lower case letter as upper case 'K is found on 'For Merit' (red enamel) badges. Don't know why the same letter was used on different badges .

2. Crich Comrades Club & British Legion : Crich Comrades Club was set up in September 1921 and the British Legion used it as their HQ but at some point moved out and used other facilities. Last year , on Armistice Sunday the branch moved its HQ back to the club. Possibly the original move was into their own premises , they are one of 45 branches currently found in the Derbyshire 'region' , and the recent financial difficulties have caused them to reassess their costs ?

3. The Challenge Shield : This one is an enigma
Are you sure it is a "TF" Fattorini mark and not "JF" James Fenton as I have a 'games' badge from the same era (1937-1938).

Birmingham Medal Co. made silver fobs (with Lion's Head) at this time and the only Fattorini one I have is brass/bronze (no Lion's head) with the full Thomas Fattorini Limited Birmingham makers mark.

As the 'Lion Head' was a 'registered design' they may have had "copyright" issues . Roden (along with Jason & Jones and Ludlow) were subcontracted by Gaunt to produce badges , so would not have the same problem and 'possibly' did a deal to buy up and sell the fobs.

Only problem is that Roden did not get the contract from Gaunt until 1946 ???? Not sure about the legality of "overstamping" but if it got around the copyright/regd.design issue then it may have been acceptable.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Met F.jpg (75.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Met R.jpg (54.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Met mark.jpg (53.8 KB, 10 views)

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 18-07-21, 10:33 AM

Hi Mike

Yet again you deliver the goods! I really appreciate the effort that you have gone to here. It is really good to have someone you can rely on.

I just went and dug out my "super strength" magnifier and it does look more like "T.F" but as they've made such a good job of overstamping, we'll probably never be sure.

Nah, you are probably right as there is a bit of the downstroke of a "J". I think that I'm used to seeing Fattorini's mark on just about EVERY prize medal that I thought it must be this.

I usually look very hard at all my new pieces and it really wasn't until I went to photograph it that I saw the "modification".

So this Challenge Shield, is it darts, bowls, egg and spoon race or what?

All the best for now
Old 18-07-21, 10:44 AM

Yep, it's a "J".... The full stop in the "J.F" mark is in the middle, just like his registered mark at Birmingham Assay Office.

OK, next puzzler: the medals are struck, assayed under Fenton's name then returned to be enameled but then sold to Roden who overstamp with their mark and finish them.

Also, the medal would have to have been in the die to take the impact of Roden's punch otherwise there would be serious deformation of the medal.

There's a story waiting to be told there, I feel!
Old 18-07-21, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
So this Challenge Shield, is it darts, bowls, egg and spoon race or what?
There were so many 'sporting' competitions at the time that it could be any of them , my first thought was football or rugby but could also have been boxing or even shooting.

Old 18-07-21, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
OK, next puzzler: the medals are struck, assayed under Fenton's name then returned to be enameled but then sold to Roden who overstamp with their mark and finish them.

Also, the medal would have to have been in the die to take the impact of Roden's punch otherwise there would be serious deformation of the medal.
When silversmiths/jewellers are removing dints/dents from silver items they use a leather sandbag or cushion.

Quote:
Sandbags provide a base when forming, chasing, stamping or engraving.

Old 19-07-21, 12:57 PM

Default British Legion Paris 1939

Spotted the badge and then in the 'related items' section saw a set of tickets/vouchers (complete with envelope) for the trip (not the same seller) and was lucky enough to get both items !

But why did the British Legion (between 1000-1100 members) go to Paris in August 1939 ?

History

The French "Unkown Soldier" was interred under the Arc de Triomphe de l'Étoile in Paris on January 28th, 1921.
On November 11, 1923 Andre Maginot, French Minister for War, lit the eternal flame for the first time.
Since that date it has become the duty of the Committee of the Flame to rekindle that torch each evening at twilight.

In 1924 the Paris Branch of the British Legion were invited to be present, and to nominate someone to rekindle the flame on August 4th, the date Britain and her dominions declared war on Germany in 1914. This ceremony, apart from the war years, has continued ever since and is one of the highlights of the Royal British Legion's year.

Less than 1 month after the British Legion visit war was declared.

PS. While ideally I would like to have all the 1928 Pilgrimage badges (all the different groups/regions) my 'wish list' at the moment is to get one for the "Women's Section" and also for the "Irish Free State" .

Attached Images
File Type: jpg BL Paris 1939.jpg (55.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Paris 1939 Envelope.jpg (62.3 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Paris 1939 Tickets F.jpg (43.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Paris 1939 Tickets R.jpg (38.8 KB, 4 views)

Old 19-07-21, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_vee View Post
When silversmiths/jewellers are removing dints/dents from silver items they use a leather sandbag or cushion.

Hi Mike

Funny you should mention this as I went to see a friend who does trophies and what should I see on the work bench but a really ancient leather sandbag!

Yep, you could happily overpunch that medal on it and not deface the obverse...
Old 05-08-21, 10:29 AM

Another nice find , a pre 1946 Women's Section printers block . A good solid brass 'face' fixed to the block , some staining (verdigris ?) around the fixing pins but otherwise in great condition. Will give it a 'gentle' clean but won't use anything abrasive.

I already have a smaller (post 1946) British Legion one , they make nice additions to my collection.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg WS Printing block.jpg (71.3 KB, 15 views)

Old 14-08-21, 01:32 PM

Quote:
I just got hold of "The Story of an Epic Pilgrimage" (A Souvenir of the Battlefields Pilgrimage) , an excellent book detailing the organisation and first hand details from start to finish of the event.
A copy of the official (blue) book , in worse condition than the one I've got , sold on eBay today for £87.17 (plus £3.20 postage) !

I double checked my records and I got my copy (in February) for £10.00 (plus £4.50 postage).

Quote:
What I now need to acquire is the yellow covered "guide book" that was issued to each traveller.
There was also a guide book (yellow) , the 'spine' was completely missing but cover and pages were in reasonable condition.

Although I really want a copy I wasn't prepared to get into a bidding war , it eventually went for £68.95 (plus £6.50 postage).

I guess I'll have to keep looking .

NB. At least I have a pdf copy that I can use if I want to do any checking/research.

Old 16-08-21, 04:50 PM

Default Women's Awards

When I started collecting I assumed there was only one 15 year award badge/brooch but soon realised I was wrong. (photo 1)

I just got hold of a poppy brooch (photo 3) , not an official BL/RBL one , but it looks and feels like it was made by the same manufacturer.

I have only seen the "double" poppy on a BL award badge and got my one (photo 2) by a lucky mistake , I was after a replacement for a single poppy version I already had.

There is one on eBay at the moment , asking price £55.99 !

So , although the brooch may not be "official" I feel it fits in perfectly with the other badges/brooches I have.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 15 Year Awards.jpg (45.0 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg BL Double.jpg (45.2 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Double brooch.jpg (54.7 KB, 19 views)

Old 06-09-21, 04:24 PM

Quote:
I just got hold of a poppy brooch , not an official BL/RBL one , but it looks and feels like it was made by the same manufacturer.
Just seen an identical poppy brooch , described as :

Quote:
Beautiful vintage 1950s hand painted enamel brooch, by Exquisite.
The red poppy design, for August, from their birthday series Brooch range.
Approximately 5cm by 6.5cm at its widest points.
Signed on the back.
This one has a "buy it now" price of £75.00 + postage , I got my one for £9.20 including postage !

Old 21-10-21, 10:28 AM

Default British Legion Gold Badge - Update 3

I spotted a small , post 1946 , Gaunt BL badge with what appeared to be a gilt/gold coloured lion head . No photo of the back but description stated that it was numbered 4158 , this seemed to indicate an early 'A' series badge.

As I was after a gilt/gold coloured lion head badge from that period I put in an offer , starting price was £5.00 but my offer of £4.00 (including postage) was accepted.

Badge arrived yesterday and the number is G4158 , it has a JRG&S makers mark and a 9ct Gold (1963) hallmark !

Although initially I thought it would nice to have one Gold badge in my collection I am now up to number 6 !

Gaunt G2273 - 1949 (button hole fitting , backplate , box )

Gaunt no number - 1950 (button hole fitting)

Gaunt G4158 - 1963 (button hole fitting)

Gaunt G6407 - 1970 (horizontal pin fitting)

Gaunt G9090 - 1977 (RBL vertical pin fitting , on Gaunt card)

PB Ltd G14024 - 1996 (RBL new lion head ,vertical pin fitting)

NB . Premier Badges Ltd. bought out Adams Badges (J.R. Gaunt Subsidiary) in 1988 and manufactured the "new" lion head versions.

I'm still after a large Gold badge (very expensive !) and any of the miniature versions but will probably have to wait for Christmas/Lottery win !

Attached Images
File Type: jpg BL F.jpg (59.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg BL R.jpg (57.8 KB, 3 views)

Old 27-10-21, 01:10 PM

Default British Legion Pilgrimage 1930

Picked up another couple of items to add to my "Pilgrimages" collection.

A 1914-1918 British War Cemeteries Ypres booklet with 40 photographs , the cover is a bit grubby but the photos are good and most of the tissue paper photo guards are still in place.

The booklet came with an original 3 page typed itinerary/instructions for the "Home Counties Battlefields Tour (1930)". Although the pages are slightly stained they are an interesting insight into the process the pilgrims went through.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ypres 1.jpg (82.3 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Ypres 2.jpg (83.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Ypres 3.jpg (40.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Ypres 4.jpg (58.2 KB, 10 views)

Old 23-11-21, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Spotted what I thought was a gold hallmarked Women's Section badge and snapped it up ! Didn't really check the details or the actual hallmark but later on had a good look and discovered it is "Silver Gilt".

my 'gilt' badge is hallmarked 1978 , so perhaps the habit of solid gold badges is dying out ?

Just picked up a RBL Scotland Women's Section gilt badge , it has the BM&BC makers mark and is hallmarked for 1979.

The interesting thing is that it has the "new" lions head ! Previously , based on information from another site , it was thought that the new lion head was introduced in 1987 but this badge disproves that theory.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scotland Gilt.jpg (55.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Scotland Gilt R.jpg (48.6 KB, 6 views)

Old 24-11-21, 09:26 AM

Hi Mike

A nice item. I would think that the cost of a gold badge would have been increasing and an h/m gilded silver badge would look the part.

Many of our Life Member badges sometimes aren't even silver gilt but gilded base metal.

Still the thought was there!