British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Other Army Departments and Corps Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 05-07-21, 05:40 PM

Default Opinions on RAMC Beret and Badge

Evening All,

Picked up a RAMC beret recently, and would like any opinions on it and the RAMC badge mounted to it. It's my first beret, and I'm wondering if it's a private purchase, given that the RAMC flash is listed as a "Dull Cherry", while this one seems far too vibrant to be that. There's also no label or markings on the inside.

The badge itself looks OK from what I can see though, in any case, any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Joe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5160.jpg (104.4 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5158.jpg (89.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5159.jpg (85.7 KB, 24 views)
Old 05-07-21, 05:50 PM

The beret is that of Queen Alexandra's Royal Army Nursing Corps.
Old 05-07-21, 05:53 PM

That beret looks to be grey and is likely to be for Queen Alexandra’s Royal Army Nursing Corps QARANC.

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1ECEA2ED-24F3-4C3A-A525-BD68AEC7F992.jpg (56.1 KB, 16 views)
Old 05-07-21, 06:15 PM

Thanks Both! I agree after looking at some QARANC berets it does fit this one.

Why would it have an RAMC badge though? I've had a quick look at the QARANC's site and their page regarding badges here, but there's no mention of the RAMC badge.
Old 05-07-21, 06:30 PM

All my Q A A N C berets and head dress - o'r and officers have the corps badge
David
Old 05-07-21, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49lassiepen View Post
All my Q A A N C berets and head dress - o'r and officers have the corps badge
David
Thanks David.
Old 05-07-21, 07:05 PM

When the 'change' happened in 92, there was lots of odd stuff like this going on. Ie when the male nurses of the RAMC became QA and the female medics of the QA's became RAMC. It was because people were waiting for new berets. Also for a while male nurses wore the grey beret with N02's. This is my explanation.

Having looked again at the large pic, this is newish beret and a kings crown badge, so i think someones cobbled this item together.

Last edited by Restrikes-ok; 05-07-21 at 07:10 PM. Reason: looked at the pic in more detail
Old 05-07-21, 07:58 PM

The reason why you won't find a label inside the beret is that it has been removed.

It was common practice to remove the large diamond shaped plastic manufacturers label that was placed on the roof of the beret once they had been issued. If memory serves me right, they were made by Kangol.

The badge, apart from being wrong for the beret (as has already been mentioned), also appears to be from an earlier age (i.e. WW1/WW2 era). The modern QA's (as QARANC) were formed in 1949 and, by that time bi-metal (and later on staybrite) were the materials of choice.
Old 05-07-21, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajc347 View Post
The reason why you won't find a label inside the beret is that it has been removed.

It was common practice to remove the large diamond shaped plastic manufacturers label that was placed on the roof of the beret once they had been issued. If memory serves me right, they were made by Kangol.

The badge, apart from being wrong for the beret (as has already been mentioned), also appears to be from an earlier age (i.e. WW1/WW2 era). The modern QA's (as QARANC) were formed in 1949 and, by that time bi-metal (and later on staybrite) were the materials of choice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrikes-ok View Post
When the 'change' happened in 92, there was lots of odd stuff like this going on. Ie when the male nurses of the RAMC became QA and the female medics of the QA's became RAMC. It was because people were waiting for new berets. Also for a while male nurses wore the grey beret with N02's. This is my explanation.

Having looked again at the large pic, this is newish beret and a kings crown badge, so i think someones cobbled this item together.
Thanks both, I did read about the change in the 90's, but I had ignored it because it was a KC too. I'll might keep the pair together for now, but if I can get hold of a QARANC badge I'll swap the badges out and display the RAMC one separately
Old 06-07-21, 02:57 AM

I only have one QA beret in my collection and it came with the backing and a bouillon QC cap badge sewn on, so I believe it is an officers.

Terry