British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-02-14, 07:04 PM

Default Gleaning information to help boost sales

From what I have seen from past threads, this is a bit of a sensitive area.

Now, I don't mind offering information when it is asked for, but it would (It has after all, been added to the forum rules!) be a courtesy to inform if the information is required to assist in the sale of items.

On two occasions in the last couple of months, I have helped with queries to see the results listed on an internet auction site with no indication in the thread to say so.

I won't name and shame, because I am not keen on "witch hunts", but I hope that those responsible will maybe read this thread and next time that they wish for help to boost their sales, just say so please.

If you are up front about your reasons, I and probably most on here will be more than willing to help (if I can, that is).

Sorry to bring this up, but I felt something should be said.

Kind regards,

Andy
Old 11-02-14, 07:06 PM

Name and shame is the only way, mate
Old 11-02-14, 07:38 PM

I normally post in a link to the listed item in the same thread as the information request. That way naming isn't necessary, but the information is available for those who are interested.
Then I sit back and watch the fireworks.

Phil

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Old 11-02-14, 07:49 PM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

I have just sold some Forage caps, the end result of an idea to collect caps, I had decided ages ago that I would stop before I really got started.

This meant there were seven caps gathering dust on a shelf ? I offered them for sale without any prior knowledge of value etc, I was contacted by a forum member who freely gave me some advice.

I sold the caps following his advice and thanked him gratefully, the only thing I haven't done is to identify him and I do not think that is necessary ?

So, a successful outcome of one member helping another to dispose of some unwanted items, hardly utopia but a satisfactory outcome me thinks ?

Dave.
Old 11-02-14, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Herring View Post
I normally post in a link to the listed item in the same thread as the information request. That way naming isn't necessary, but the information is available for those who are interested.

Phil
Lol - that's a good trick

"One day I'll leave you, a phantom to lead you in the Summer, to join the Black Parade"
Old 12-02-14, 08:17 AM

I don't see any problem. I would have no problem with sharing my (limited) knowledge with someone who will then profit from that knowledge because , at the same time I would be imparting that knowledge to people who aren't gaining anything but knowledge after all it costs me nothing to be helpful.
Old 15-02-14, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil2M View Post
Name and shame is the only way, mate
You know how I feel about naming and shaming (witch hunts!). I think this sums it up http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrzMhU_4m-g

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Herring View Post

Phil
As above

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStafford View Post
I don't see any problem. I would have no problem with sharing my (limited) knowledge with someone who will then profit from that knowledge because , at the same time I would be imparting that knowledge to people who aren't gaining anything but knowledge after all it costs me nothing to be helpful.
I think you missed my point.

I have no problem sharing information, after all, that is what this forum is about. Even if it is to help with the sale of an item, as long as the the opening thread states the intention to profit from this information.

I direct you to the "Forum rules & privacy" (rule #9) http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forum_rules.htm

Regards,

Andy
Old 16-02-14, 08:15 AM

Rules are for the guidance of wise men (and the blind obedience of fools) as I said, it costs me nothing and could in fact result in an item being reduced in price and so help the buyer.
Old 16-02-14, 01:04 PM

Folks will be folks Nozzer, especially when cash is involved. You're quite right of course, complete honesty is not only good manners, it's essential when you're coming with your cap in hand asking for information which will help you make a sale.