British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Australian Military Insignia > Infantry and Special Forces

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-04-19, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlie63 View Post
Hello Tarabelle,

Living in Tasmania and having seen some very nice collections and examples of Launceston Regiment badges I'm afraid I will have to go with badgecollector on this one.

Although the existing militia and volunteer units of the six former Australian colonies were organized into the reserve component of the Australian Army in 1903, it was not until the middle of that decade that many of these badges and other items of Commonwealth design were issued. There was no need for sand cast badges to replace anything, we had a badge making industry for many years turning out quality items even prior to Federation (1901). In 1912 the designations of all the infantry and light horse regiments changed and their badges ceased to be issued at public expense. Many new, and some old, units did not wear badges after this year at all, other than the battalion or regimental number.

Thus this pattern of badge was only issued for a limited number of years in any case and sand cast ones don't feature amongst the collections I have seen.

In 1914 when the Australian Imperial Force was raised, the 12th Battalion was partially recruited in Tasmania (HQ, MG Sec, and four companies). It was the practice for many of those early AIF personnel to wear collar badges of their former Regiments and Corps - quite unofficially, and the war diaries of units in Egypt are full of edicts banning the wearing of these badges, coloured hat bands, and all the other paraphernalia that us undisciplined colonials used to express our individuality.

What might have happened is that some former members of the 12th Australian Infantry Regiment serving in the 12th Battalion had a batch of such badges made up in Egypt. I'm not familiar with construction methods of Middle Eastern cast badges, perhaps somebody can give us a rundown on the copper lug cast into the badge itself.

What I will say in regard to the replaced lug/wire loop, is that it is almost identical to a wire loop/lug/shank that has begun to appear in recent years on cast light horse badges, poor die-struck badges using perhaps Stokes dies with incorrect gauge of metal, etc. Some of those badges have appeared on previous threads.

Regards,
Keith

Thank you Keith for your polite reply,
T
Old 04-04-19, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarabelle View Post
Hey and happy hump day

I actually looked about sand cast and saw a post of yours where you were asking others opinions, you seem very convinced there wasn't any sand cast badges, but did you manage to get any evidence there wasn't any ?

And the badge is what it is.....a sand cast badge
And other contributors in the thread have a view that there were sand cast badges

Have a lovely day

T
Hi T
i have been collecting for over 30yrs. have an extensive collection and have many friends with similar sized collections. its all of our view that sand cast badges did not get used in this period.
i have viewed many museum collections including the grey collection and the AWM collection and have never seen a sand cast badge amongst these old and established collections
i have known Jeff Cossum for over 30yrs and have discussed the 12th LHR badge with him. he has also indicated to me there is no evidence that sand cast badges were ever used.
thanks keith for your input. i thought i was out on my own again after questioning the 12th LHR in another thread.

only one contributor to this thread has indicated that cast badges were worn, the same person who legitamised the 12th LHR badge from the other thread. i think he's mistaken.

its the case that you have to make your own mind up.

i hope this has been of some help
bc
Old 04-04-19, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgecollector View Post
Hi T
i have been collecting for over 30yrs. have an extensive collection and have many friends with similar sized collections. its all of our view that sand cast badges did not get used in this period.
i have viewed many museum collections including the grey collection and the AWM collection and have never seen a sand cast badge amongst these old and established collections
i have known Jeff Cossum for over 30yrs and have discussed the 12th LHR badge with him. he has also indicated to me there is no evidence that sand cast badges were ever used.
thanks keith for your input. i thought i was out on my own again after questioning the 12th LHR in another thread.

only one contributor to this thread has indicated that cast badges were worn, the same person who legitamised the 12th LHR badge from the other thread. i think he's mistaken.

its the case that you have to make your own mind up.

i hope this has been of some help
bc
I also must concur with BC on this badge , I also have spoken to a few old time collectors of badges and the only badge they mention is the Camel corps sand cast badge and that also has to be viewed closely and carefully.

Cheers Rob
Old 04-04-19, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackhr View Post
I also must concur with BC on this badge , I also have spoken to a few old time collectors of badges and the only badge they mention is the Camel corps sand cast badge and that also has to be viewed closely and carefully.

Cheers Rob
thanks rob
of course the camel corps badge is circa WW1, the badges discussed in this and the other thread are pre war, 1903-12 period.
bc