British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-01-11, 04:24 PM

It sounds Like then there's no real date difference in this pattern as regards the void and non void etc. I have these two. The one with the voided rear legs is from a 1914-18 belt. The other bought later. I think the non void I'll move on.

Thanks for info chaps.

Simon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg user616_pic29997_1291597391.jpg (49.2 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg user616_pic29998_1291597467.jpg (44.2 KB, 22 views)
Old 31-01-11, 06:52 PM

Default WEST YORKSHIRE-DATE OF USE?

Hi team, anyone got the date of use of this one in my album.

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ictureid=29741

Thanks
Old 31-01-11, 06:58 PM
Super Moderator

1920-37

Alan
Old 31-01-11, 10:31 PM

Good evening Longshanks & Alan,

The King's crown pattern 7th/8th Bn WY (Leeds Rifles) head dress badge continued to be worn until 1967 when the battalion ceased to exist on the restructuring of the TA. It became at some date 'E' Company of the Yorkshire Volunteers. I have photographs of this pattern badge being worn by members of the unit when at annual camp in the mid 1960's.

All good wishes,

Peter
Old 01-02-11, 09:10 AM
Super Moderator

Peter,

I was under the impression that the 8th wore RA badges post 1937 when the 2 units were split. From memory the 7th went to the RAC with RAC badges. Was this not the case?

The 7th Bn have their own post war badge in a/a (in fact 2 designs are in existance one with the RTR tank in it reflecting their wartime service). Any photos that you have would be gratefully viewed if you could scan them in.

Alan
Old 01-02-11, 11:26 AM

Smile Another first class repair!

Just returned to me today by our favourite badge repair man DaveC2. Yet again, repaired to the highest standard and brought back to life again. Lovely new slider with crimp and nice taper.

Well done again. I'm absolutely delighted with the results

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dave's repair 001.jpg (100.1 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Dave's repair 002.jpg (99.7 KB, 16 views)
Old 01-02-11, 11:52 AM
guest123a

Default LEEDS RIFLES

Hi all,

As well as being worn post war until becoming part if the new Yorkshire Volunteers Regiment in 1967 the badge was also worn during WW2 by 66 Heavy AA Regiment RA whilst as already touched upon 45 and 51 RTR wore RTR badges.

Cheers Marcus
Old 01-02-11, 01:58 PM

Now I'm confused.....I'll leave it as 1920-37 for now.

Thanks team.
Old 01-02-11, 03:55 PM

Good afternoon Alan,

I do have two or three photographs dated 1936/37 showing members of the 8th Bn. having converted to the RA roll wearing the RA badge but I also have quite few photographs post 1937 showing members of the 8th Bn wearing the 7th/8th kc wm pattern head dress badge. In some of the photographs there is just the odd one or two NCO's wearing the RA head dress badge but I've put these down to being PSI's (Permanent Staff Instructors) from a regular RA unit.
Personally, at the moment, I don't have the expertise to add photographs etc but will endeavour to add some in the near future.

Kind regards,

Peter
Old 01-02-11, 06:15 PM
Super Moderator

Peter,

Many thanks. There seems to be as much variance in whether Artillery-converted Infantry units retained their old badges as there is with Yeomanry so I am not surprised that the 7/8th badges stayed in use.

Alan
Old 01-02-11, 06:51 PM

Very interesting. I've had a few W/M badges in the past which have been excellent strikes but (dare I say it) restrike looking shanks. Maybe the answer is they were later issues.
Old 01-02-11, 08:32 PM
guest123a

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter seaman View Post
Good afternoon Alan,

I do have two or three photographs dated 1936/37 showing members of the 8th Bn. having converted to the RA roll wearing the RA badge but I also have quite few photographs post 1937 showing members of the 8th Bn wearing the 7th/8th kc wm pattern head dress badge. In some of the photographs there is just the odd one or two NCO's wearing the RA head dress badge but I've put these down to being PSI's (Permanent Staff Instructors) from a regular RA unit.
Personally, at the moment, I don't have the expertise to add photographs etc but will endeavour to add some in the near future.

Kind regards,

Peter
Hi Peter,

Regarding your photos, are the soldiers definitely wearing the White metal 7/8th badges or possibly non blackened brass badges? Also if definitely white are they SNCO's or junior ranks?

By the way I should be able to catch up with you in about 2 weeks as I'm due back in the UK then.

Cheers Marcus
Old 01-02-11, 09:54 PM

Hello Alan & Marcus,
I forgot to add that as well as the 7th/8th Bn kc pattern badge they are wearing RA collars in early photographs and 'RA' with a letter 'T' all in gilding metal above on their epaulettes, in later photographs, and up to the mid 1960's at annual camp, they continue to wear RA collars with embroidered or printed Royal Artillery shoulder titles along with the 42 AGRA formation sign. A school friend of mine served with the Leeds Rifles Recce platoon, when based in the Armoury Drill hall here in Selby and I have his badge which is white metal, he was not an NCO. Having had a further look at the photographs I would say that the badges that can be seen clearly are white metal. But a second opinion is always advisable. With this in mind I hope to meet up with Marcus when time permits for his opinion on a selection of photographs for his appraisal.

All good wishes,

Peter
Old 02-02-11, 12:11 PM
guest123a

Default White 7/8th Leeds Rifles

Peter/all those interested,

Please find attached scans of 4 examples of my white 7/8th Leeds Rifles.

They break down into 2 general types with slightly different strikes for each type (different void sizes in the crowns being the main difference)

Type 1 - White metal

Type 2 - Chrome like finish

Cheers Marcus

Last edited by guest123a; 16-05-13 at 04:37 PM.
Old 23-02-11, 04:37 PM
Super Moderator

Default WEST YORKSHIRE'S WRONG HORSE

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Genuine-cap-ba...item1c19980291

This is an oddity. Obviously an Officers badge but it has the 3rd Hussars horse on it.

Tags
west yorkshire, yorkshire