British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-06-14, 03:34 PM

Default Zambia Rifles

Hi All

Have been trying to find some information on this regiment, but not a lot out there on the internet (just putting out the feelers)

The reason is I have one of their hat badges. It's anodised aluminium so it is definately post war. I am trying to decide whether to keep or not.

If anyone can point me in the right direction or give me some information about them, it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 29-06-14, 12:06 PM

The Zambia Rifles are a follow on of the old pre independence Northern Rhodesia Regiment. The ZR continued to use the same cap badge and as per your example is in anodised aluminium. Have attached a photo of a ZR beret. It was taken by me when on a joint exercise with southern African forces in Botswana in 2005. It remains current.

The Regiment is quite large and has battalions deployed throughout the country. It also catered for national service training at one point.

I have also attached a few images of the NRR badges for interest / comparison.

Regards

Dudley
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Zambia Rifles beret.jpg (58.6 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg Maj Zambia Rifles.jpg (20.5 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg NR Regt hat badge Officers.jpg (48.9 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg NR Regt hat badge ORs.jpg (72.5 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg NR Regt hat flash.jpg (50.1 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg NRR officers cap badge.jpg (10.2 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg Title Northern Rhodesia.jpg (39.5 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Title NR cloth.jpg (18.0 KB, 26 views)
Old 30-06-14, 12:55 PM

Hello Dudley

Many thanks for the information and the pictures, very much appreciated.

The badge I have is completely different to the badge in your pictures. The one I have is a stringed bugle horn with a scroll underneath with ZAMBIA RIFLES on it. It is in silver anodised.

So I wonder what the one in my possession is ??

Many thanks once again

Ron
Old 14-10-14, 05:37 PM

Default Zambia Rifles

Ron

You are quite correct.

The Northern Rhodesia Regiment was formed from the military wing of the Northern Rhodesia Police in 1933 and was reconstituted in 1937 as a colonial infantry regiment. During World War Two the regiment totalled eight battalions, which served in Kenya, Somalia, Abyssinia, Madagascar, Burma, India and Palestine, as well as undertaking civil defence duties in Northern Rhodesia. The regiment also raised logistic and ambulance units. However, after 1945 the regiment was reduced to one battalion, which later served in the armed forces of the Federation of Rhodesia and Nyasaland. At the independence of Northern Rhodesia (Zambia) in 1964 the regiment became 1 Zambia Rifles.

Photo is badge of the Zambia Rifles post independence.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg zambia rifles.JPG (70.0 KB, 40 views)
Old 15-10-14, 03:35 PM

Thanks Sunraydeltagolf

So obviously the stringed bugle badge was replaced by the other badge illustrated in a previous post, any ideas when it was replaced?

thanks once again
Old 10-08-19, 06:29 PM

Default Zambia Rifles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L1A1 View Post
Hi All

Have been trying to find some information on this regiment, but not a lot out there on the internet (just putting out the feelers)

The reason is I have one of their hat badges. It's anodised aluminium so it is definately post war. I am trying to decide whether to keep or not.

If anyone can point me in the right direction or give me some information about them, it would be greatly appreciated.
Zambia Rifles was born on Zambia's Independence 1964. . It was a Territorial Volunteer Regiment following on from Royal Rhodesia Regiment Volunteer Battalions in Northern Rhodesia. Kings African Rifles and Northern Rhodesia Regiment were Regular Regiments.
I served as an officer in the 7th Battalion the Lusaka based in the former NRR barracks renamed Burma Barracks following independence.

Any information or photographs please let me know
Norman
Old 13-08-19, 10:12 AM

Default Correct backings?

Norman - I've had these Northern Rhodesia/Zambia badges for a while now and cannot seem to confirm if the backings are correct. Can you enlighten me at all on the attached.? These backings did come with both badges.

The Zambia rifles are both silver and gold anodised - any specific reasons for this?

Many thanks in advance.

Bess

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190813_105828.jpg (56.7 KB, 81 views)
Old 14-08-19, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bess55 View Post
Norman - I've had these Northern Rhodesia/Zambia badges for a while now and cannot seem to confirm if the backings are correct. Can you enlighten me at all on the attached.? These backings did come with both badges.

The Zambia rifles are both silver and gold anodised - any specific reasons for this?

Many thanks in advance.

Bess

Zambia Rifles used the badge shown without backing on their green berets. Officers used a smaller version. On their bush hats all ranks used the Zambia Rifles shown with the backing. All badges were anodised silver colour. Being a Rifle Regiment their buttons were black.

Norman
Old 31-05-20, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normang View Post
Zambia Rifles was born on Zambia's Independence 1964. . It was a Territorial Volunteer Regiment following on from Royal Rhodesia Regiment Volunteer Battalions in Northern Rhodesia. Kings African Rifles and Northern Rhodesia Regiment were Regular Regiments.
I served as an officer in the 7th Battalion the Lusaka based in the former NRR barracks renamed Burma Barracks following independence.

Any information or photographs please let me know
Norman
Hi Norman, My late father was NRR 1942 and again in 1955 and I have done some research if you are interested. Jim
Old 07-09-20, 04:59 PM

I have no real knowledge of these regiments but this thread appears to be confusing the Zambia Regiment and it's badges with a different unit, the Zambian Rifles and it's badges.

The Northern Rhodesia Regiment became the Zambia Regiment in 1964, retaining the crane cap badge and buttons.

I don't know if the Zambia Rifles trace their origins to the NRR, I suspect not?

Edit - post no. 6 indicates that the Zambia Rifles origins were from the Royal Rhodesia Regiment.
Old 18-09-20, 02:04 PM

I am interested in military Pipes & Drums and compiling a list of the Pipe Majors. I understand that the Zambia Rifles had a pipe band in the 1960s, so that must have been after independence in 1964.
Any information, including photos, welcome.
Thanks
Aad
Old 18-09-20, 09:49 PM

More than likely the Zambia Rifles were born from The Kings African Rifles, (2nd KAR) just like the Uganda Rifles and the Tangyanika Rifles.
Cheers
Sean
Old 20-09-20, 04:59 AM

Default ZAMBIA RIFLES

I have a flow chart of Northern Rhodesia and Zambia. It shows the following for Zambia Rifles:

3rd Battalion Royal Rhodesia Regiment
(Ndola T.F.)
I
1964 Zambia Rifles 6 and 7 Battalion

Following the dissolution of the Federation of Rhodesia and Nyasaland in 1963 the Royal Rhodesian Regiment found itself divided into two parts. 3rd and 7th Battalions were under Northern Rhodesia Command. The two units became the territorial element of the Northern Rhodesia Defence Force. They were known as the Zambia Rifles from 1964. The Zambia Regiment consisted of 8 Battalions after Independence. I do not know if they absorbed the Zambia Rifles or not but it seems certain the Zambia Rifles existed for a short time.
Quicksiver
Old 26-01-21, 11:36 AM

Default Zambia Rfles

Saw this old post & found this info. Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6th Zambia Rifles Short History.jpg (56.1 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 6th Zambia Rifles 1966.jpg (88.5 KB, 12 views)