British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Air Force (RCAF and CAF)

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 31-01-11, 01:42 PM

Default RCAF BD shoulder title question

I came across a wartime dated RCAF battledress blouse recently. On the BD, I noticed that the CANADA shoulder titles were slightly different from what I have usually seen. On almost all of the RCAF officers tunics I have come across, the font used on the CANADA titles has serifs on the lettering (similar to the title on the SD in the first picture I have attached). The example I recently came across had block lettering (similar to the title in the second attached picture). Are the block letter titles just a different variation of wartime titles? Perhaps of British manufacture? The BD itself is British, although badged to an RCAF pilot. Or are these perhaps a post-war design?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (14.4 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg gowanrcafcanadaflashfrtlg.jpg (40.2 KB, 32 views)
Old 31-01-11, 02:35 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Chris, Serifs are usually found on Second World War period titles, though it is not an absolute rule. Is there a chance of an image of the back of the non-serif CANADA?
Old 31-01-11, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
Hi Chris, Serifs are usually found on Second World War period titles, though it is not an absolute rule. Is there a chance of an image of the back of the non-serif CANADA?
Unfortunately I don't have a picture of the back of the title. I just found the picture of the non-serif title on the web (on a site showing WW2 RCAF insignia). The BD with the non-serif Canada titles is dated 1945. Might these be late-war titles?
Old 31-01-11, 06:32 PM
Super Moderator

Maybe late war, or any number of variants or private purchase.
Old 04-02-11, 02:44 AM

Default Another posssible explanation...

I have another possible theory (backing up my idea that the non-serif titles are possibly British). I have seen a number of different nationality titles worn on the RAF tunics - POLAND, ARGENTINA, RHODESIA , etc. - and generally these do not have serifs. I have attached pictures of a few examples.

I am guessing most of these were of British manufacture. Perhaps similar non-serif CANADA titles were manufactured for and issued to Canadians who were serving in the RAF. It is quite possible that many RCAF aircrew would have picked these up while in the UK.

I have also attached a picture I came across showing a WW2 RCAF service dress tunic with the non-serif titles. After some digging, I have discovered a few examples like this, though the majority tend to still have the typical serif lettering.

I posted originally because I wished to try to verify the authenticity of this type of shoulder title on a WW2 BD tunic I came across. Although certainly not as commonly seen as the serif titles, it appears that the non-serif titles are perfectly legit for WW2.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 102653.jpg (72.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 102654.jpg (72.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 102657.jpg (72.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 102751.jpg (79.0 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 102560a.jpg (77.0 KB, 20 views)
Old 13-08-11, 01:24 AM

Default early vs late ?

I would go with the idea of early (serif) vs late. I have an early SD jacket with serif CANADA's on it as well as a 1945 BD...and that has titles similar to the ones in your second image.

Dwayne
Old 16-08-11, 10:25 AM
Banned

I have several hundred WW2 period Air Force titles (with many shown on websites) and have made a particular study of them. There is nothing in regulations stating lettering styles and many were private purchase from tailors (most usually by officers). The style of lettering (serif or non serif) is really down to the tailor, with issue and private purchase each having both. I have BCATP issue, theatre made, British, Canadian, Indian, Rhodesian, Australian, New Zealand, South African and others and all follow the same pattern.

The construction is more of a givaway to country of origin. The BCATP for example are of a shiney thread on wool with a black cloth backing, Canadian made are usually cotton thread on wool, NZ titles are often found with newspaper backing, British are generally silk thread on wool, etc. Stiff printed (using a dark colour over a light base) are British manufacture, screen printed (light print on dark base) usually NZ, Bevo-weave generally British too, etc. I also have flocked, although their origin is so far a mystery!

Obviously there are exceptions to alll, but lettering style I have not found to be an indicator of date during wartime.
Old 13-10-11, 05:50 AM

The shoulder badge (we Canadians call them shoulder flashes) with the silver grey "Canada" on a dark grey background was for wear by RCAF Officers and was in use from the beginning of the RCAF (1924). The other flash - silver grey "Canada" on a dark blue background was for "other ranks" early in WW2. An albatross was usually directly below it. Later in WW2, a single badge with the Albatross surmounted by the "Canada" was adopted (and I would presume made sewing them on much easier!)