British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > Indian Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-03-20, 02:10 PM

Default Frontier Force Regiment Arc Title

A recent purchase: it's a Frontier Force Regiment Arc Title, worsted in red on black cloth: late or post-war, pre-partition? Thank you so much for your knowledge, gentlemen!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Frontier_Force_Arc_Title_1.jpg (47.3 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg Frontier_Force_Arc_Title_2.jpg (44.5 KB, 22 views)
Old 21-03-20, 12:48 PM

Posted in error.
Old 24-03-20, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter monahan View Post
Posted in error.
Well, not really: I have posted on purpose!
Old 24-03-20, 01:13 PM

Looks like Pakistani manufacture to me.......I'm sorry ....we're not helping are we lol
Old 25-03-20, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loupie1961 View Post
Well, not really: I have posted on purpose!
True dat. I was going to say 'Pakistani [recently] made' but then found an example of a title with a similar back - on this forum which seems to have been accepted as genuine, so I scratched what I'd written.

The honest answer is 'I don't know'. I have an opinion but it is not based on much evidence, so it's like a hemorrhoid: every ...... has one.
Old 26-03-20, 12:07 AM

I have a similar one with a King's crown over the title. These, as well as other regiments, apparently date to around the time of independence and the partition of India, and for a short while thereafter.

CB
Old 26-03-20, 01:24 PM

CB

That would certainly be an explanation: examples of a new industry/product being produced in country where previously the insignia had been produced in the UK or under the direction of British managers. In a 'new army' it may well have been the case that a lower standard of quality was acceptable on a temporary basis.

Peter
Old 26-03-20, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbuehler View Post
I have a similar one with a King's crown over the title. These, as well as other regiments, apparently date to around the time of independence and the partition of India, and for a short while thereafter.

CB
Depends on what one calls "a short while". Crowns would be applicable until 1956 when Pakistan became a republic. So in theory even Queen's Crowns are possible (though I never saw one used on Pakistan badges, etc.).

Interested in the lineage of the unit your badge represents?
Try: Regimental lineages
Old 26-03-20, 05:06 PM

I think all Pakistani insignia which still used the crown was discontinued around the time of Queen Elizabeth.

CB
Old 26-03-20, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter monahan View Post
CB

That would certainly be an explanation: examples of a new industry/product being produced in country where previously the insignia had been produced in the UK or under the direction of British managers. In a 'new army' it may well have been the case that a lower standard of quality was acceptable on a temporary basis.

Peter
With the exception of some officer's kit and badges, all Indian Army insignia was always made in India and was to the same standard as these titles.
Cloth insignia was always hand made and even prior to independence ranged from very good to quite crude.
There were never any British managers involved to my knowledge as everything was locally procured all the way down to battalion level.
WW2 formation signs, rank insignia etc, worn by both British and Indian units were all from the same local sources with few exceptions, for example, printed 4th ID and 8th ID signs were made in England.

CB
Old 26-03-20, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbuehler View Post
I think all Pakistani insignia which still used the crown was discontinued around the time of Queen Elizabeth.

CB
In any case, 23 March 1956 is the date they became a republic. It could be that they were decreasing usage of royal symbols already before that date. Nevertheless Queen Elizabeth II was their head of state until that date.

Interested in the lineage of the unit your badge represents?
Try: Regimental lineages