British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 08-01-23, 08:59 PM

Question Harrow Rifles

I would value forum members opinion of this little badge, the Harrow Rifles, bought today at Thetford.

Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1040434.jpg (50.6 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg P1040435.jpg (46.2 KB, 45 views)
Old 08-01-23, 09:36 PM

Greetings Rob.

A nice little badge you have there.

I have one the same as yours and another two, one in white metal on blades and the other blackened brass on lugs.

The white metal example, which is marginally smaller than the other two, I believe is a collar badge for the Harrow School Cadet Company.

The others,(and I include your badge in this) are, I believe either head dress badges for the same unit or were worn by The Harrow Rifles, which became part of The 5th (West Middlesex) Rifle Volunteers in 1899 and at the same time incorporated Harrow School Cadets.

As far as I am aware, the same badges were worn by both the Rifle Volunteers and the Cadets.

If I remember correctly, (which is highly doubtful ) I think there are larger examples of this badge, which unfortunately, I do not have.

At the bottom of the following link, which is slightly inaccurate, is a picture of what I believe is your badge being worn.

https://talesfromthesupplydepot.blog...fles-cap-badge

Regards.

Brian.
Old 08-01-23, 09:47 PM

Greetings again Rob.

I speak with forked tongue, I have just found a much larger version of said badge, 2 1/2 inches across the arrows, probably bronzed and on 4 lugs, one on both arrow tips and both fletchings.

I suspect this may well be a pouch badge or similar.

Regards.

Brian.

P.S. 5th(West Middx) RV did incorporate 2 arrows in similar positions on their badges, albeit the badge being a slightly different design.
Old 08-01-23, 10:28 PM

Default Harrow Rifles

Brian, good to hear from you, I do have a couple of similar badges on my Middlesex board and another on my KRRC board, the 5th West Middlesex R.V. pouch badge, arrows being in vogue for these units.

I had an Uncle who served in both the Middlesex and the KRRC during WWII, hence my interest in these Regiments

Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1030613.jpg (61.2 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg P1030615.jpg (63.3 KB, 45 views)