British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Australian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-05-22, 02:31 AM

Default AFC Title

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/16546110...4AAOSwG7VibcWz
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600 (1).jpg (59.4 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (52.5 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg s-l500.jpg (19.4 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg s-l1600 (2).jpg (43.5 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by vigilans; 05-05-22 at 07:41 AM.
Old 15-02-23, 05:10 AM

Hi Vigilans,

I actually bought a real AFC shoulder title a few weeks back here in Australia & it was a little pricey, as one would expect unless you are very lucky.
I then saw a more 'modern' looking one for sale on eBay a couple of weeks later, described as being of British manufacture, which sold for considerably less.
Anyway, I knew the modern looking one was probably shonky but wanted to know more as to why, how, etc. Thank you for your post as it explains exactly what I was looking at on eBay & what can go on with these shoulder titles.
I am familiar with Australian ANZAC 'A's being messed with but now I will also look out for these also. Having said that, when you get the chance to compare a real one to these shonky ones they are worlds apart!

Best regards,
David
Old 15-02-23, 09:41 AM

I have three different patterns of AFC title, all genuine I believe and one larger than the others. They are all fairly wide letters, nothing lke the more rectangular pattern of the pre-1916 AIF 10mm titles like AMC, ASC, RAA, ENGRS etc. One of them might well have been made in UK. I will put them together and post a photo and would be interested if anyone else could post a scan of theirs.
Old 15-02-23, 05:39 PM

RAEC - Royal Army Education Corps

Chris
Old 16-02-23, 02:59 AM

I contacted the seller of the one listed on ebay a while ago and he was very good about it, said the buyer would be disappointed, and going on the feedback he received for that title he told the buyer it was a dud.
AMC titles have also been cut down to make an AVC title which are considerably harder to find!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David191 View Post
Hi Vigilans,

I actually bought a real AFC shoulder title a few weeks back here in Australia & it was a little pricey, as one would expect unless you are very lucky.
I then saw a more 'modern' looking one for sale on eBay a couple of weeks later, described as being of British manufacture, which sold for considerably less.
Anyway, I knew the modern looking one was probably shonky but wanted to know more as to why, how, etc. Thank you for your post as it explains exactly what I was looking at on eBay & what can go on with these shoulder titles.
I am familiar with Australian ANZAC 'A's being messed with but now I will also look out for these also. Having said that, when you get the chance to compare a real one to these shonky ones they are worlds apart!

Best regards,
David
Old 17-02-23, 04:14 AM

This is my AFC title. The lug was always broken from the time the seller received it but it has miraculously stayed with this badge ever since.

Best regards,
David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WW1 AFC title 1.jpg (48.3 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg WW1 AFC title 2.jpg (45.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg WW1 AFC title 3.jpg (65.2 KB, 9 views)
Old 17-02-23, 05:14 AM

These are the sellers photos from a couple of weeks back & I agree, it seems the seller was honest with the buyer but I still wouldn't pay that price for a fake title. Each to their own.

Best regards,
David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600 (3).jpg (84.2 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg s-l1600 (4).jpg (72.7 KB, 13 views)
Old 18-02-23, 11:34 AM

Default AFC titles

Here are scans of my AFC titles, all letters are wider and more cursive than the straight profile of the letters in the first post. I have never seen an original like this (similar to the AIF ones) but they might exist.
In regard to my three titles, now that I look at them more closely, the first two also might be made up from RAEC titles. I wonder whether wartime AFC personnel might have done it themselves? They were one of the first purchases I ever made on Ebay more than 20 years ago and cost very little so they were certainly not made up to deceive.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AFC1.jpg (31.9 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg AFC2.jpg (96.9 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg AFC3.jpg (102.2 KB, 13 views)
Old 19-02-23, 02:57 AM

They all look good to me Kingsley, you can see the checkering up to the bottom of the "F", if it was a cut down "E" the checkering would not be there, with the faked titles often a small line is filed into the bottom bar to indicate the end of the letter "F" as can be seen on the title that David191 supplied, third pic.
Here are a couple I have which are 100% good

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsley View Post
Here are scans of my AFC titles, all letters are wider and more cursive than the straight profile of the letters in the first post. I have never seen an original like this (similar to the AIF ones) but they might exist.
In regard to my three titles, now that I look at them more closely, the first two also might be made up from RAEC titles. I wonder whether wartime AFC personnel might have done it themselves? They were one of the first purchases I ever made on Ebay more than 20 years ago and cost very little so they were certainly not made up to deceive.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 006.jpg (45.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 003.jpg (17.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg s-l1600 (3).jpg (84.2 KB, 11 views)