British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Navy and Royal Marines

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 07-09-09, 07:44 PM

Default RND Officers Cap or Collar?

I have recently come across the attached "small pattern" RND officers badge. It is significantly smaller than the regular pattern as in KK1158.

The "regular" pattern badge measures approx 6.25cm x 5.75cm high, whereas the smaller one is 3.1cm x 3.0cm high.

There are blades to the rear (one half broken), which baffles me somewhat. Surely, it can't be a collar with blades? When purchased, it was described as "smaller type" officers cap badge.

Can anyone shed any further light on this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KK1158 Front Small BZ.jpg (59.0 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg KK1158 Rear Small BZ.jpg (51.1 KB, 19 views)
Old 10-09-09, 01:54 AM

Neil,
nice looking badge.
The only reference I know of to a badge like this, is in Cox's ,sometimes unreliable book. Though it also has the solid crown,like your's, the basic shape is a little different there.
I am thinking that the 'normal' type was probably found to be a little on the heavy side, hence a smaller badge (more like Army badge size) may have been used (likely later on, in WW1) by some of the Navy in Khaki units ?? But this is only an assumption,as I have not seen any pics or other references to support this theory.....yet.
Cheers !
Steve
Old 10-09-09, 03:49 AM

Hi Steve

Thanks for your comments. I like your theory! I was hoping someone might have some pictures "in situ". I don't have Cox's, but it's good to know it's there.. the casting and detail is fantastic.

The thing that baffles me is the size. It's significantly smaller than the "original" I've attached a quick pic to highlight this.

Cheers
Neil
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC06410.jpg (32.5 KB, 12 views)