British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Navy and Royal Marines

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-06-09, 11:30 PM

Ok thanks all. Globe & Laurel is not Lovat dress but still is after 1954.
Old 21-06-09, 12:37 AM

Hello Paddy,
Good to hear from you and like you I just collect Royal Marines badges.
I've had a look at Juno's badge and to me again its only my opinion I think its a good match I don't think its been married up.
Also your point on single leaf or double leaf for Officers and Warrant Officers
I don't know at the moment if I heard that or I've read it I can't seem to find it at the moment in my notes.
I've checked my silver and gilt badges to Officers and they go to a single point and also my first bronze Officers badge also goes to a single point.
The badge which I bought many years ago as a Warrant Officers goes to a double point on the leafs and has folding tabs on the Lion and Crown.
But on checking my die struck Queens crown Officers bronze badge from about 1954-64 it goes to a double point.
And the modern anodised badges to Officers and Warrant Officers now also go to a double point.
I made the error of telling Juno my bronze Officers badges had the globe fitted to the laurel by a nut and only after getting them out for a picture did I find out its the bronze collars that have these fixings.
But to be fair some of these badges have been behind glass for over twenty five years.
I also date the Kings Crown badges to 1954 because in their book by Kipling and King volume 1 they state 1923-54.
And I had a friend who was a former Royal Marines Officers MOA (Batman) who told me he knew of Officers still wearing Kings Crown badges up to early1954.
Regards
John
Old 21-06-09, 09:08 PM

John

Many thanks for your reply. Wrt the single point and double point endings of the globe & laurel I was mainly referring to the older style officer's badges and agree with you that the more recent badges all end in double leaves, do you think this may have started happening with the introduction of the QC. I have had a couple of the 2 part badges from Naval Stores over the years and they all end in double leaves.

Wrt Juno's badge, my main reason for thinking it is a married up badge is that in an email he told me that the 2 parts are different colours. The L&C is reddish brown and the G&L is more of a chocolate brown colour. This and the fact that one has tabs and the other lugs, personally I would prefer them both to be the same, either lugs or tabs, but that could just be me being picky.

DO you also collect RM Band Service badges. I'm finding it impossible to find a silver rose for the Chatham band cap badge, any ideas on where to find one.

Paddy
Old 22-06-09, 04:17 AM

Hello Paddy,
I think your right about the double leaves on the introduction of the Queens Crown badges.
I've checked my collection of Queens Crown badges for Officers, Warrant Officers, pre anodised in gilt and bronze and they all end in double leaves.
And the same for the anodised for Officers and Warrant Officers which I also got from stores they all end in double leaves.
As for Juno's badge if you look at my not very good pictures of bronze badges
second in from the left as you look at the screen its the same badge.
It has the J R Gaunt, London mark and it is a matching pair which does not show too good in the picture.
The bottom badge is lugged and the top is folding tabs but on all my Officers and Warrant Officers badges they all have different fixings for the Lion and Crown some are screw, some lugged, some pin fixings.
As for my collecting interests I collect any insignia worn by Royal Marines
and I also have the same problem as you trying to find a genuine Rose for Chatham Division Band badges.
John