British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 27-06-16, 09:07 PM

Default EURO 2016 (aka Brexit 2)

Iceland, with it's 330 000 inhabitants, has taken down England. Team spirit and effort has prevailed. History in the making. Respect.

"One day I'll leave you, a phantom to lead you in the Summer, to join the Black Parade"
Old 27-06-16, 09:13 PM

I'm applying for a Welsh passport
Iceland, their fans were superb and the team played with no fear and more commitment than our millionaire professionals.
Good luck to them against France.
Paul
Old 27-06-16, 11:19 PM

Location: A Yorkshireman in exile 'Up North' and an ‘Honorary Smoggie’.

Iceland have always said that at their low prices you will always save.......Joe Hart didn't save much (and he had to pay 5p for his Iceland carrier bag)!

Nigel Farage was pleased because we are well and truly out of Europe. There is too much money in English football now. Iceland were exciting, determined and entertaining and the joy of their fans was clear to see. By comparison, England looked dreary and dull.

Last edited by Charliedog012012; 27-06-16 at 11:27 PM. Reason: I
Old 28-06-16, 01:35 AM

Default Replay . . . on the cards??? . . .

Apparently a couple of England fans who mistakenly supported Iceland ( . . . but didn't think their support would count) have launched a petition to have the game replayed . . .

Lawrence
Old 28-06-16, 04:05 AM

Well done to Iceland - England you got what you deserved. It really is about time our national football team took a long hard look at our national rugby team. I cant abide these overpaid prima donnas who roll around on the floor every time they trip over a blade of grass or break a nail.
I truly believe that every member of that squad who put in such an embarrassingly bad performance should be banned from playing for England - for life.
PL
Old 28-06-16, 06:49 AM

I don't have any issues with the England team, but, quite frankly, some of their fans have proved to be an embarrassment and a national disgrace, I dare say there will be a great many people in France who will be delighted to see them leave.
Old 28-06-16, 07:14 AM

I'm afraid all I can say is "Dewch ymlaen Gymru"
Old 28-06-16, 07:22 AM

I think you meant to type Cymru?

Quote:
Originally Posted by REMEVMBEA1 View Post
I'm afraid all I can say is "Dewch ymlaen Gymru"
Old 28-06-16, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
I think you meant to type Cymru?
Frank,

The spelling changes depending on what word is following which other word, with the mutation from C to G being the most obvious one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg welcome to wales.jpg (58.9 KB, 23 views)

Jerry
Old 28-06-16, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBBOND View Post
Frank,

The spelling changes depending on what word is following which other word, with the mutation from C to G being the most obvious one.

It's all 'Dutch' to me !!
Old 28-06-16, 10:41 AM

Location: A Yorkshireman in exile 'Up North' and an ‘Honorary Smoggie’.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oc14 View Post
Well done to Iceland - England you got what you deserved. It really is about time our national football team took a long hard look at our national rugby team. I cant abide these overpaid prima donnas who roll around on the floor every time they trip over a blade of grass or break a nail.
I truly believe that every member of that squad who put in such an embarrassingly bad performance should be banned from playing for England - for life.
PL
A review of the performance of the England teams performance is to be held. One major recommendation is that the players restrict themselves to 2 pork pies, 3 pints of lager and 5 cigarettes at half time!

Sorry to be cynical but with the amount of money that they are paid we need to be looking to invest in young, talented, homegrown players who are 'hungry for success'.
Old 28-06-16, 11:02 AM

one thing that often strikes me is the chasm between Football and Rugby. I sat in the midst of French rugby fans at Stade de France last year, and was the lone Australian. Sure the crowd got up me, but it was good natured and without any agro. I have had the same experience at Millennium stadium in Wales, at Twickenham, Dublin, and even Johannesburg's Ellis Park.

Now, I am no football expert at all, but maybe the players need to have a chat to their rugby mates. The English team (and supporters) in Australia were a credit to their country, both on and off the field.

Tim
Old 28-06-16, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipper View Post
one thing that often strikes me is the chasm between Football and Rugby. I sat in the midst of French rugby fans at Stade de France last year, and was the lone Australian. Sure the crowd got up me, but it was good natured and without any agro. I have had the same experience at Millennium stadium in Wales, at Twickenham, Dublin, and even Johannesburg's Ellis Park.

Now, I am no football expert at all, but maybe the players need to have a chat to their rugby mates. The English team (and supporters) in Australia were a credit to their country, both on and off the field.

Tim
Strangely though in last years Rugby World Cup England were knocked out in the group stage so the Football team did do better in the Euro's by getting into the next round.

A sad exit but the football team thought getting to play Iceland was going to be a walkover into the quarter finals and perhaps they did not take them seriously enough.

Jerry
Old 28-06-16, 11:56 AM

That's very true. It was a remarkable turn around for English Rugby after such a disappointing home world cup. I think that's 8 or 9 wins on the trot now? We also saw in the RWC how underestimating seemingly easy teams can go, just ask our South African friends when they lost to Japan.

I am also perplexed by football fans, who seem to revel in violence. Not saying it's all, or even most, but it is enough to put a blight on the game. Someone mentioned in a post that the French will be glad to see the back of English fans, and living here, I can say that's very accurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBBOND View Post
Strangely though in last years Rugby World Cup England were knocked out in the group stage so the Football team did do better in the Euro's by getting into the next round.

A sad exit but the football team thought getting to play Iceland was going to be a walkover into the quarter finals and perhaps they did not take them seriously enough.
Old 28-06-16, 12:05 PM

One of the highlights for me so far has been seeing and hearing the supporters of Wales, Iceland and Ireland. Exemplary behaviour at matches and outside, and a true credit to their teams. They've reminded us what supporting should be.

"One day I'll leave you, a phantom to lead you in the Summer, to join the Black Parade"