British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Navy and Royal Marines

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-04-09, 01:38 PM

Default Royal Navy Commando

I have attached photo of Royal Navy Commando shoulder badge.
I dont normally collect Commandos & am not knowledgable about their badges.

Could someone tell me what time frame this badge would be?

& is the white embroidery normal for this badge?? I thought RN badges were normally embroidered in red or gold wire.
I know ratings who served on Royal Yacht wore white embroidered badges but would Commandos serve on the yacht??

Thanks in advance,

Bryan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RN Commando rev.jpg (37.5 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg RN Commando 001.jpg (41.7 KB, 67 views)
Old 28-04-09, 07:56 PM

Default HD Jumper

Hi,
This was worn on HD Jumpers from the 1970’s (?) onwards.

Not sure if it was worn on the Post War BD.

Don’t think the jumpers are still issued but the black on Green and Brown on Tan versions of this title are worn on DPM kit.

Regards
Old 29-04-09, 02:07 PM

I have a version which is navy lettering on white canvas; also one which just says "Commando" in the same colour scheme. Those, I think are WW2.
Old 04-05-09, 04:28 PM

Default R.N. Commando

I have looked in Peter Taylors book on Allied forces and it says Royal Navy on black worn by R.N. commando units until spring of 1942, then changed to R.N. Commando. The two badges in my collection, also R.N. combined Ops. Badge. John.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RN Commando 001.jpg (69.5 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg RN Commando 002.jpg (78.3 KB, 36 views)
Old 01-06-09, 06:40 PM

Certainly in modern times (70s and early 80s) the white on blue shoulder flash as shown was worn by R.N. Commandos on the green army style jumper. I have never seen it worn on the blue R.N. "wooley pulley". In No 1 Dress it would simply be "COMMANDO" in gold bullion on black really as RN uniforms are nearer black than blue. I believe they now wear the dagger instead and have also moved the para wings from the left cuff to the right shoulder as per the army. I've never seen red on black as would be expected for No 2 dress. Blue on white embroidered would be appropriate for tropical dress. R.N. Commandos did not wear the green beret unless serving with a commando unit.

With reference to comment on Royal Yacht ratings wearing white embroidered badges, this was in No2 Dress downwards. In No1 Dress normal gold bullion was worn with the Royal(CROWN)Yacht badge on the upper right arm, booties included. No red on black badges were worn. In tropical dress RMs wore red on stone. In lovats it was bullion on lovat.

As to commandos serving on the yacht, I really don't know I never went there but a few "CP" wouldn't be a surprise.

An interesting point:- you could not be promoted on the yacht.

Last edited by Jim Maclean; 01-06-09 at 07:00 PM.
Old 04-06-09, 08:25 AM

The following link shows the crew list for the Royal Yacht.
http://www.royalyachtbritannia.co.uk...ers-yachtsmen/

John
Old 02-08-09, 04:50 PM

Thanks very much for your responses mates.

Bryan
Old 02-08-09, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Maclean View Post

As to commandos serving on the yacht, I really don't know I never went there but a few "CP" wouldn't be a surprise.

An interesting point:- you could not be promoted on the yacht.

Two questions from this response --

what is a "CP"?

Why no promotion on RY?

Bryan
Old 03-08-09, 04:25 PM

Hi, to continue this thread I thought the pictures below may be of interest!
I must disagree slightly with some of the replies, the Royal Navy Commando title was worn from the mid 70s until the introduction of the CS95 dress and the black on green subdued titles. From the end of WW2 up to the mid 1970s a white on black shoulder title with "Commando" was worn on both combat dress and No 1 and 2 dress by junior and senior rates alike. after the mid 1970s an upward pointng commando dagger on a tombstone was introduced for wear on No 1 and 2 dress and worn on the cuff often opporsite a set of parachute wings, more recently both wings and dagger have moved onto the upper arm. The white on blue commando title was also worn early in WW2 after the Royal Navy title was abandoned and before the "RN Commando " title introduced.

Not sure where the comments about the Royal Yacht titles came in but I've included some pictures of these incuding a red on black title which although not worn by matlots was worn by RM bandy's on their woolly pully's.
Old 03-08-09, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorbear View Post
Not sure where the comments about the Royal Yacht titles came in but I've included some pictures of these incuding a red on black title which although not worn by matlots was worn by RM bandy's on their woolly pully's.
Thanks for yr response sailorbear, the RY comment was my doing. I thought since the title I originally illustrated is white embroidered it might have to do with the white rate badges worn by ratings serving on the RY,

Bryan
Old 03-08-09, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCN View Post
Thanks for yr response sailorbear, the RY comment was my doing. I thought since the title I originally illustrated is white embroidered it might have to do with the white rate badges worn by ratings serving on the RY,

Bryan
Ah, that explains it. Yes it is a peculiar phenomenon of the Royal Navy particularly of the WW2 period that they wore shoulder titles of white on black when the rest of their badges, trade, rank and good conduct stripes were in red on black or gold on black. Even in more modern times the RNR wore a white on black title. The RY is the only place where the title colour matched their other badges.

Regards,
Tony.