British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Artillery, Royal Engineers and Royal Signals.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-08-16, 09:34 AM

Default R A Chrome

Heavy chrome plating both sides, who would have worn this?
Old 13-08-16, 11:13 AM

Ron,

I dont know who would have worn it, band etc. but what I can say is that its a typically Canadian strike.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 22-08-16, 03:33 PM

Ron

Here is a picture of my RA Chrome badge K/C. Also have a RA cap badge in silver anodised.

Reading the posts on chrome badges on this forum some members believe they have a connection to the RAC in WW2 and some believe they are band or walking out badges. I don't know which it is but have managed to collect several and they look great.

I have no idea who wore the silver anodised badge, if any member knows maybe they could please let me know.

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KK808c front.jpg (61.6 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1424.jpg (65.6 KB, 34 views)
Old 22-08-16, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dak580 View Post
Ron

I have no idea who wore the silver anodised badge, if any member knows maybe they could please let me know.

John
I think this is a pattern made for the RA Shop, not an issue item, and the anodising process might not have been completed. 54bty will be the man to ask.
Keith
Old 23-08-16, 03:36 PM

Hi Keith

The finish is quite bright which may not come over so good in the picture not the light grey of a unfinished badge.

One thing that is different is that this badge is lugged while every other RA badge I have in metal or anodised has a slider fitting.

John
Old 23-08-16, 07:30 PM

Perhaps a pouch badge?

Rgds, Thomas.
Old 24-08-16, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Hi Keith

The finish is quite bright which may not come over so good in the picture not the light grey of a unfinished badge.

One thing that is different is that this badge is lugged while every other RA badge I have in metal or anodised has a slider fitting.

John
That's correct John, the RA Shop commissions were lugged. The design was based on the first pattern of anodised RA badge, with the wheel added, there are at least two patterns of wheel I have noted recently - one similar to that which appears on the second pattern of issued anodised RA badge, like yours, and one similar to the wheel on the officers' gilt and bronzed versions of the RA badge.

Keith
Old 24-08-16, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlie63 View Post
That's correct John, the RA Shop commissions were lugged. The design was based on the first pattern of anodised RA badge, with the wheel added, there are at least two patterns of wheel I have noted recently - one similar to that which appears on the second pattern of issued anodised RA badge, like yours, and one similar to the wheel on the officers' gilt and bronzed versions of the RA badge.

Keith
Thanks Thomas and Keith for your replies.

Keith any idea why they were made in a silver colour and what years they would have been sold??

Would any serving soldiers bought them to use while on duty like Thomas says for a pouch badge?

John
Old 26-08-16, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Keith any idea why they were made in a silver colour and what years they would have been sold??

Would any serving soldiers bought them to use while on duty like Thomas says for a pouch badge?

John
No body knows why that design was accepted into the RAA shop stock and I doubt that anyone noticed. However none of the ones I have seen are really silver, just a not very gold, gold.

There was only the one RAA shop and that was in the Royal Artillery Barracks, in Woolwich, which the majority of Serving soldiers had never seen. It was mainly for the retired members. As for a pouch badge only Officers should be wearing a pouch, with either a gilt or bronze badge.

One of these anomalies we may never get to the bottom of.

Marc
Old 27-08-16, 07:31 AM

Many of these chromed badges could have been privately chromed by the wearer as keepsake , while I was stationed in HK I was often asked if I coulkd get items chromed in the workshop by people bringing equipment in for repair. Almost all my mates had chromed buckles on their stable belts for example,