British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Australian Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Unit Colour Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-12-18, 02:36 PM

Default Help with ID of this patch

I suspect this patch is Australian so have posted it here for any comments.

As well as looking for an ID, I'm interested in knowing what era this patch is. I should say that it's likely to be moved on at some stage as its not my area of collecting.

Many thanks. Ivan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC07778.jpg (27.7 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg DSC07777.jpg (31.0 KB, 22 views)
Old 28-12-18, 08:31 PM

Morning Ivan,

If it is Australian it would be 7th Aust Machine Gun Battalion, and worn with the point downwards. The patch was approved in May 1943 but the battalion was raised in New Guinea in late 1942 and I doubt the patch was worn for long, probably after the battalion returned to Australia in 1943 or early 1944 - it was disbanded in March 1944.

It was not general practice for colour patches to be worn on shirts, which is the only possible reason for the attachment to the khaki backing with clasp. The patch also looks completely unworn and unused (although of correct period manufacture), not something I would expect if it had been specifically made up for wear in the field.

Keith
Old 29-12-18, 06:51 AM

If the dark part of the triangle is actually green rather than black, this would be a 6th South African Armd Div sign, which seems to be more likely given the way it is set up on the piece of cloth.
Old 29-12-18, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlie63 View Post
Morning Ivan,

If it is Australian it would be 7th Aust Machine Gun Battalion, and worn with the point downwards. The patch was approved in May 1943 but the battalion was raised in New Guinea in late 1942 and I doubt the patch was worn for long, probably after the battalion returned to Australia in 1943 or early 1944 - it was disbanded in March 1944.

It was not general practice for colour patches to be worn on shirts, which is the only possible reason for the attachment to the khaki backing with clasp. The patch also looks completely unworn and unused (although of correct period manufacture), not something I would expect if it had been specifically made up for wear in the field.

Keith
Thanks Keith, fantastic information. Whether it has been used or not I couldn't say.

I know absolutely nothing about these type of badges so if not general practice for these to be worn on a shirt, where would this patch ordinally be worn? (Is it a hat patch)?

Much appreciated.
Old 29-12-18, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettman View Post
If the dark part of the triangle is actually green rather than black, this would be a 6th South African Armd Div sign, which seems to be more likely given the way it is set up on the piece of cloth.
The dark material is definitely black and not green.

Much appreciated.
Old 29-12-18, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger123 View Post

I know absolutely nothing about these type of badges so if not general practice for these to be worn on a shirt, where would this patch ordinally be worn? (Is it a hat patch)?
Ivan,

These patches were normally worn just below the head of the sleeve of the Service Dress jacket or the greatcoat, and on the right hand side of the puggaree of the slouch hat.

Black and yellow were the colour of the Australian Machine Gun battalions during the Great War and this was carried though during the Second World War. If the man was a volunteer for unrestricted service overseas he would have worn this patch on a battleship grey background.

If Australian it is the first I have seen mounted in this manner - 2/3 Aust MG Bn did wear their patches (different design) on their shirts before they went to the Middle East but they appear to have sewn them on. Perhaps the RSM or one of the officers had his patch for the hat puggaree made up in this manner so he could bleach his puggaree.

Cheers, Keith
Old 29-12-18, 07:49 PM

Excellent information Keith, very much appreciated.

I