British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > New Member Introduction Zone

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-03-12, 03:47 PM

Default Hello from Cyprus

Having just got 'the bug' for British Commando insignias, I thought that I had better get orientated by some professionals!
Collecting now for some 40 years with various interest changes. Co-authored 3 insignia books - military background Royal Marines 1957-66.
So reading and learning [I hope] at the present.
Old 17-03-12, 04:55 PM

Greetings Royal - enjoy the Forum !!

Ritchie.
Old 17-03-12, 05:34 PM

Hello back to Cyprus from London, (England, just in case there is another one, well I drove past a sign for Londonderry the other week and I was not in Northern Ireland). And welcome to this happy band.

Now I have to think of what I need from Cyprus?

Marc
Old 17-03-12, 05:44 PM

Hello Marc
Cyprus is a desert for collectors - a couple of camping type stoes here in Paphos only. I have to 'import' from the real world you might say! I get back to UK once, maybe twice a year to visit family and a quick dig around.
If you think of anything - let me know - only two regular military units here, both SF, Commandos and the UDT [OYK] Team. The remainder are CNG, pretty rubbish.
Plus we are still waiting for summer!
Old 17-03-12, 05:46 PM

Thank you for the offer. I think we had our summer the other day as it was nice and warm.

Marc
Old 18-03-12, 03:54 AM

Default Welcome

Hi nomadalpha, your post bought back many memories of my 8 months at Akrotiri in '60. Welcome to the forum. David J. Oh and a PS for Marc (54Bty), London Ontario, just down the road from me, also has a river running through it. Yes, you guessed it, the Thames.! DJ.
Old 18-03-12, 08:04 AM

Default Yo Royal

Welcome to the forum mate
I was in the Corps 73-81 (kicked out with high-tone hearing loss when a PW at CTC, straight into Maggie's 3 million unemployed and missed the Falklands - gutted) my lad left after 9 years last year.
Did the first UN tour to Cyprus post invasion in 74/5 and got the bug for the place. Have spent many happy holidays in Paphos - visiting the old billets we used.
Am back there in May with our Grandson - going to somewhere called Nissi Bay?? Apparently near Aya Napa .......... not that the missus will let me anywhere near the nightlife there (as if I could cope with it now anyway)

I collect solely to RM/Commandos and have learnt a heck of a lot from the great members on this forum

Best of luck with your endeavours

Aye Yours
Ray
Old 18-03-12, 10:31 AM

Welcome to the forum sure it will be of interest has helped me tremendously. I have the bug for ww2 army commandos but I know the love/ hate relationship with the RM commandos

Cheers
JB
Old 18-03-12, 10:59 AM

Welcome to the forum. I love Cyprus, first went in '74 on my way back from the Oman, just a week before the invasion, have done Ex Lion Sun in the Episkopi area playing soldiers for 6 weeks and a UN tour in '90 before jetting of to Saudi for a while.
I also go to the Limassol or Lemessos area on hoilday a lot(my 2nd home)
Now I have to think of what I need from Cyprus?
Lots of KEO beer, lots of KEO wine and lots of KEO brandy to wash down the Grilled Haloumi & Lountza mmmmm

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 18-03-12, 11:18 AM

A mate of mine crashed his hang glider into a thorn bush in Limassol. It was hilarious . I have only been to Cyprus the once. I am so glad the car had working aircon. Those girls on the beach

Welcome to the forum.

Phil