British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Australian Military Insignia > The Australian General Service Badge (Rising Sun)

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 05-09-12, 01:20 AM

Default Sterling Silver Collar Pair

Hi all - I am a long time reader & new member (about 1 month ago)...... I have been collecting various items for many years but in the last 12 months I have been focused on Australian Rising Sun's - military/ sweetheart/ commercial and so on....... Here is a set of Sterling Silver Collars Hallmarked Edinburgh 1918 from my collection....... Even though I am new to rising sun's I have not seen many sterling silver collars on the web/ from dealers or in collections and thought forum members may like to see these if they have not seen then before.......
Sorry about the picture quality but it is very hard to take a good shot of these with my camera......
Regards Gary
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WWI Sterling Silver Collar Pair.jpg (25.7 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg WWI Sterling Silver Collar Pair Rear.jpg (42.3 KB, 58 views)
Old 07-09-12, 11:51 AM
Member 2010-21- Rest in Peace

Smile

G'day Gary

The silver collars that I have are nurses pin backed badges, one is hallmarked Birmingham 1916 and the other is an Aussie badge and not hallmarked. I have not previously seen silver collars with lugs.

If these are not nurses badges I would expect that they are officers badges.

Re the photos you are doing better than I am, as posting photos totally defeats me. I assume you are using a digital camera, if so put the macro setting on, its usually a flower at the bottom of the round dial on the back of the camera. take a square on, not angled photo in good light. Then use your photo software to crop the photo down, dont try to take the photo up too close as it will be out of focus. When you have done the crop and any other adjustments post to the forum.

I hope that this helps.

Regards

Phil.
Old 07-09-12, 09:01 PM

Thanks for the info Phil.........
Will give it a go when I have time to play around with the camera again.... photo's were taken outside with heavy over cast - I have found the more natural light the better the shot........ I have scanned cigarette lighters and badges in the past but with these silver collars they do not scan all that well, to much glare from the sterling silver...... The military dealer I purchased these collars from said they were nurses collars - I have nurse cape/ throat badges in my collection, mainly WWII and one complete with medals (full size and miniature) and dog tags - will post a picture when I get a chance - nice set....
Regards Gary