British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 08-08-13, 08:47 AM

Lightbulb Blackened plastic 6th Battalion DLI cap badge

Hi all,

I think the following is a blackened plastic 6th Battalion DLI cap badge. It has been painted black and there are overlaps of black to the rear of the normal silver grey plastic badge (K&K 2256). Sadly the blades are both missing.

I have not found too much on blackened plastic badges.

A new addition to my Durhams collection.

Regards Dean.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dur.64.f.jpg (92.9 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg dur.64.r.jpg (68.1 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by mooke07; 08-08-13 at 09:04 AM.
Old 08-08-13, 08:53 AM

I have a RWF plastic that has been painted a dark brown colour and two plastic rank crowns that have been painted black.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9a RWF plastic 1m.jpg (99.0 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg rank crowns.jpg (93.6 KB, 11 views)

Jerry
Old 08-08-13, 08:56 AM

Thanks Jerry be interesting to see how many different types of painted plastic badges there are out there, thanks for sharing, cheers Dean.
Old 08-08-13, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooke07 View Post
Thanks Jerry be interesting to see how many different types of painted plastic badges there are out there, thanks for sharing, cheers Dean.
Interesting thread Dean, here is a silver painted Air Ministry Constabulary cap badge I had which might be of interest.

Best

Graham
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Air Ministry Const CB01.jpg (70.6 KB, 17 views)
I am looking to purchase items from the British Administration Police & Prison Services in Cyrenaica & Tripolitania; Eritrea & Ethiopia; Somalia (f. Italian Somaliland) & British Somaliland; & the Dodecanese: insignia, documents, photographs etc.
Old 08-08-13, 09:48 AM

The plot thickens thanks Graham - can see the utility of painting badges.

6th Battalion Durham metal badges were often supplied in GM to be blackened by the battalion. Some were WM to be blackened.

All GM DLI sold as economy are not that at all ! They were not made in economy issue.

So this black painted plastic has me thinking 6th battalion like the blackened GM and WM versions. Would they have not made a black plastic one for a TF battalion or would the numbers not justify it. So they just painted a silver-grey plastic one.

Same rationale for other painted plastic badges I guess.

Someone will know and have the official view from the records.

Interesting huh, Dean.
Old 08-08-13, 10:05 AM

Hi Dean

I had three of these Air Ministry Constabulary cap badges: two were ‘au natural’ with the third, illustrated, having been painted - presumably to match the WM pre-war issue. I never had, or have even seen, the plastic “AMC” shoulder titles, but I wonder if any of those have been painted? As I said, an interesting thread - hopefully others will air their views.

Graham
I am looking to purchase items from the British Administration Police & Prison Services in Cyrenaica & Tripolitania; Eritrea & Ethiopia; Somalia (f. Italian Somaliland) & British Somaliland; & the Dodecanese: insignia, documents, photographs etc.
Old 08-08-13, 10:29 AM

You live and learn. I had no idea that there were black painted plastic badges for the territorials. I have a painted wm DLI, I was suspicious of it.

Nice AMC, Graham , I have never seen shoulder titles to match, either.
Old 08-08-13, 11:07 AM

At the last but one meeting of the MHS ( heraldry ) in Derby, a member had a large display of cap badges with cloth backings. One of the badges was a 6th DLI, I thought it was blackened brass but when I looked at it closely it was actually a blackened plastic badge.

The owner said that both the badge and backing came from the same person a member of his family and that both the badge and backing were the actual items worn during the war.

See what you are missing if you don't joint the MHS.

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 08-08-13, 12:34 PM

Default Black plastic DLI

Hello Dean, as a teenager in the mid seventies I was given a Canadian HLI, a RE GVR cap badge and a black plastic DLI cap badge.
I still have the RE but the others I swapped soon after getting them, " I don't collect Canadian and plastic badges are crap" was my reasoning at the time.
Hindsight....... it's a wonderful thing.
Cheers Tony.
Old 08-08-13, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thfoot View Post
See what you are missing if you don't joint the MHS.
Preaching to the coverted Peter, though I haven't been able to make any meetings since I moved to the frozen north.

Graham
Old 08-08-13, 02:33 PM

There is mention in an article on plastic badges that some were sprayed silver by one manufacturer, although I'm sure these black painted ones were done at unit level or by the individual. I have a brown plastic ACC that has been hand painted silver, not sure why as the standard badge was brass.
Lee

www.khakicolonel.com
Old 08-08-13, 03:14 PM
Banned

I saw a plastic RB badge offered for sale recently which was described as having its original 'silver' painted finish. I wonder if this was one of those badges Lee, or whether it was done in unit, or as crossed my mind, by someone else long after it was saw service?

Regards to all.

Ry
Old 08-08-13, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie585 View Post
I saw a plastic RB badge offered for sale recently which was described as having its original 'silver' painted finish. I wonder if this was one of those badges Lee, or whether it was done in unit, or as crossed my mind, by someone else long after it was saw service?

Regards to all.

Ry
I guess it would depend on the quality of the finish, mine is brush applied, you can see the marks around the edges at the back. The article mentions that the colours for most badges were 'bronze brown', 'silver' and 'field copper', but goes on to say, 'During the middle of 1944, it was decided that in some cases, cap badges which required a brighter silver finish should be sprayed with metallic paint. This work appears to have been undertaken on behalf of all manufacturers by Alfred Stanley & Sons Ltd'
Info taken from an article in Militaria Magazine, 'British Plastic Cap badges, 1941-46' by Marcus Cotton

Lee

www.khakicolonel.com
Old 08-08-13, 03:38 PM
Banned

Thanks for the info Lee,

The finish on the badge I saw looked good from the image but I wasn't able to scrutinise it closely. I wouldn't be surprised if the RBs did have a silver finish on the badges though.

I wonder how much more often painted plastic badge will start to appear in the future given the recent discussions. All interesting stuff!

Ry
Old 08-08-13, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooke07 View Post
Glad to chip in if I can. I have assumed the RWF was darkened either to make it look more like an OSD or perhaps to make it less shiny and the crowns painted black for use by a Rifles member.

Jerry

Tags
6th battalion, dli, durham light infantry