British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-07-18, 01:32 AM

Default Any reference book recommendations for an American collecting Officer's badges?

First let me say that I have recently joined this forum and want to say thanks to all the helpful members. I collect other militaria - like German - and I can assure you that those forums receive many condescending and offensive comments between members. This forum is both helpful and civil - Thanks!
My question is about reference books. I am focusing on officer's badges.
I have both the K & K books, and the Doyle & Foster Books. I also have some older books like Gaylor's.
Are there any good references that cover officer badges and/or reproductions?
Also, I see lots of crooks on EBay, but I am wondering if there are any honest dealers that forum members can recommend.
Thanks
Old 01-07-18, 07:02 AM

Hi Jeff, Welcome.

I will start this off with a few suggestions, and I am sure others will add to it as well.

Some names you can trust:

Geoff Newman at GN Militaia: http://www.gnmilitaria.co.uk
Mike at Quartermaster: http://www.qmsmilitaria.com/shop.php
Malcolm Davey at Walting Militaria:http://www.watlingmilitaria.com/shop.php
Andy Plewa - 2747andy on eBay :https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/2747andy/...88.m1543.l2654

Some are forum members, and all would never knowingly sell a fake. I'm sure others can add more, but this is a start.

As for reference books, as a German collector, you will be use to many different and detailed books - some badge specific, and some more general works. Sadly, British badges don't have anywhere near the same level of reference material. But the forum is a great resource, and is searchable, so hopefully that will be of help. There are also many very knowledgeable people here who will be only to pleased to help with any questions or issues.

Cheers, Tim
Old 01-07-18, 07:24 AM

There is useful information on officer’s badges in the Dress Regulations for Officers of the Army editions for 1900, 1904 and 1911, all of which are available online and free of charge at the Hathi Trust Digital Library linked here: http://onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu...20War%20Office

N.B. The first fully illustrated Dress Regulations were those for 1900, the later editions are less generous. The Officers Service Dress (OSD) Bronze badges were authorised from 1902.
Old 01-07-18, 06:06 PM

Thanks Tim and Toby
Old 01-07-18, 09:07 PM

You have seen this: https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/bo...bliography.htm ?

Rgds, Thomas
Old 01-07-18, 09:46 PM

Further to the suggestions already given and the link provided by Thomas, if you wanted to continue with your existing Scottish theme, I personally wouldn't be without; Scottish Regimental Badges 1793 -1971 by WH & KD Bloomer and also Badges of the Highland & Lowland Regiments by the same authors. They cover both officer and OR's and in the case of the former it also covers Scottish affiliated regimental badges in your part of the world.

With regard to the dealer recommendation, I could be wrong but I thought I'd noticed in a photograph in a previous thread that one of your badges had a label affixed that came from Robbie Leigh. That's Robbie of Dead Spartan Militaria. He's another good source for jock and officer badges.
Mark
Old 02-07-18, 12:58 AM

Thanks Thomas and Mark
Old 02-07-18, 05:37 AM

Hi Jeff
Also, you have to remember when collecting officer's badges, that they were often privately commissioned and not as regulated as the OR's badges, so there can be quite a number of variations.
Cheers,
Alex
Old 02-07-18, 06:38 AM

Monty has a great album of officer's badges and I have a few in my KLR album
Old 02-07-18, 01:13 PM

Thanks Alex and Monty.
Monty, how do I access these albums? Sorry, new American guy figuring out this forum.
Old 02-07-18, 09:34 PM

Go to top of this thread- under your thread title is several links- 4th one is All Albums- click- use search word Officers- 1st thread is this one- https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...p?albumid=3475
Regards, Paul.
Old 02-07-18, 09:42 PM

Thanks Paul
Old 04-07-18, 07:11 PM

Thanks again Tim. I found something to buy from both Watling Militaria and from the Quartermaster. I appreciate the links.
Old 05-07-18, 07:04 AM

Glad to hear it. Both outstanding fellows.

Cheers, Tim
Old 14-07-18, 05:26 PM

Jeff,
Les Martin has a large number of Officers badges available, attached is a small selection of what he has.
Due to other recent commitments he is only available on a Saturday to sort out any enquiries, he will be available at his usual fairs on Sundays also.
You can contact him at Militaria@lesmartin.co.uk
Paul
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12207725-A8A9-498D-9182-56C869550506.jpg (22.2 KB, 22 views)