British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-11-11, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Stewart View Post
Lovely photo's and thanks for sharing. With refernce to the Cyclst Section in the first photo, the Clr/Sgt may actually be a 'regular' Clr on secondment. In photos were the Clr Sgt's are in evidence, those that are on secondment seem to wear their 'regular' isignia, whereas those who are Volunteer/TF Clr's tend to wear the insignia of their battalion.

Those regular Clr Sgt's on secondment kept their regular regimental numbers too and in reality the posting of a Clr to either a Militia/Special Reserve or Volunteer/TF battalion was their swansong before retirement. Those that did return to their regular units often returned to take up the appointment of Sgt Major.
I think he probably is a Regular - I can see no 'V' under his cloth title.
Old 23-12-15, 06:47 PM

Default Cullompton Vlunteer Company, 3rd Devons

This arrived today in the post, I was hoping I could pick out a bit more detail, but its still a lovely picture.

The angle is wrong for much info on the cap badges, but they don't look very big so perhaps they are collar badges?

There appears to be some sort of cloth? badges on the upper sleeves of several men, perhaps "Devon" over "3"?

Rob

Old 26-12-15, 05:55 AM

[QUOTE=Rob Miller;113133]Two more Devon photos from a bootsale today.

Hi Rob

My great-grandfather served with the 13th Devons (later 3rd Labour Bn), so I am very interested to see it.

Thank you for sharing!
Old 26-12-15, 10:06 AM

Default 13th Battalion Devonshire Regiment

Hi Doug

I have emailed you some scans. Here they are again at 2400dpi.

Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 13th1.jpg (54.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 13th2.jpg (52.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 13th3.jpg (48.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 13th4.jpg (52.6 KB, 2 views)
Old 26-12-15, 10:28 AM
Super Moderator

[QUOTE=Rob Miller;336640]This arrived today in the post, I was hoping I could pick out a bit more detail, but its still a lovely picture.

The angle is wrong for much info on the cap badges, but they don't look very big so perhaps they are collar badges?

There appears to be some sort of cloth? badges on the upper sleeves of several men, perhaps "Devon" over "3"?

Rob

Rob

It was normal for collars to be worn on FSC. The regulars generally wore collars before introducing large cap badges in 1896-8. However the VB continued with collars for some years until peaked caps c.1905. All VBs did their own thing so dating it is impossible for all units.
Old 26-12-15, 11:45 AM

[QUOTE=Rob Miller;336640]This arrived today in the post, I was hoping I could pick out a bit more detail, but its still a lovely picture.

Rob

Your postcard is marked 30th September 1904 and it's around this time that a number of military photo's in "Series" form became available to the general public. Gale & Polden did quite a few of them, infact they did a series of the 2nd Bn, Northumberland Fusiliers and in some cases dated when the photo was taken. Remembering that Service Dress didn't become universal among the Regulars until 1902 and was eventually phased into the V.B.'s

The title will, as others have stated be "DEVON" over "3", in white worsted cotton on a scarlet cloth background. The Cullompton Volunteer Company, became 'A' Company of the 3rd Volunteer Bn, Devonshire Regiment on it's formation in 1885 under General Order 114 of November 1885. The surprise here is that there appears to be no "V" in the title, as this was used to distinguish the Volunteers from the Militia Battalions, who in most cases also used the cloth numeral "3".

The 3rd V.B., Devons amalgamated with the 1st V.B. in 1908 to form the 4th Bn, Devons(T.F.)

Last edited by Graham Stewart; 26-12-15 at 11:50 AM.
Old 26-12-15, 04:53 PM

The public house in post 14 is the Drewe Arms in Drewsteington.
Old 30-12-15, 12:22 PM

Another new card, KC cap badges so post 1902, I suspect this is part of a Regular Battalion? Interesting working uniforms.

Rob

Old 05-08-16, 11:04 AM

Another new local to me find, I suspect this Officer is the same chap as shown in the middle of the group picture in post 17.

Nice "V" under one or both collar badges?

What looks like white metal or silver plated Devonshire Buttons.

I didn't know Volunteers Officers wore cuff rank?,

And the collar badges appear to be quite big, are they cap badge size, and could they be bi-metal?

Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg card1.jpg (56.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg card3.jpg (39.1 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg card2.jpg (44.8 KB, 6 views)
Old 26-06-18, 03:13 PM

A nice selection of headgear in this photo, what colour was the backing on the Devonshire Brodrick? The photo was pretty faded so I have tweaked it a bit in paint shop pro.

Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dvn1.jpg (57.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg dvn2.jpg (72.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg dvn3.jpg (56.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg dvn4.jpg (71.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg dvn5.jpg (62.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg dvn6.jpg (71.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg dvn7.jpg (62.5 KB, 9 views)
Old 26-06-18, 03:53 PM
Super Moderator

What is the post mark date on the postcard 1905 or 03?
Old 26-06-18, 04:32 PM

In post 24 I think its 05.

Rob
Old 26-06-18, 06:41 PM

Outstanding thread, cracking photos and information.
Thanks Andy
Old 30-06-18, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Miller View Post
A nice selection of headgear in this photo, what colour was the backing on the Devonshire Brodrick? The photo was pretty faded so I have tweaked it a bit in paint shop pro.

Rob
The backing on the Brodrick was ‘Lincoln green’. Great images, I’m especially interested to see the Armourer Sergeant in his AOC uniform seated in the front row far left, before 1896 he would have worn Devonshire regimental uniform with just a hammer and pincers arm badge to indicate his function. The mix of headdress is typical for the period 1905-06. The officers all wear the frock coat that replaced the scarlet patrol frock in 1902 (leaving just the blue one) and the new coloured ‘staff cap’ that was introduced in the same year. Interestingly the ORs pattern of the same cap has been prioritised (unsurprisingly) for issue to the battalion warrant officers and the Sergeant Major and Bandmaster can be clearly identified. The other sergeants of the battalion HQ staff (hence ‘staff sergeants’) are still wearing the previous pattern of staff cap to mark their status.

Last edited by Toby Purcell; 30-06-18 at 06:26 PM.
Old 30-06-18, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Miller View Post
Another new local to me find, I suspect this Officer is the same chap as shown in the middle of the group picture in post 17.

Nice "V" under one or both collar badges?

What looks like white metal or silver plated Devonshire Buttons.

I didn't know Volunteers Officers wore cuff rank?,

And the collar badges appear to be quite big, are they cap badge size, and could they be bi-metal?

Rob
The buttons were officially silver until 1908. The V Was decreed to be worn on both arms under the titles. The collar badges were indeed cap badge size from 1902 and coloured bronze for the officers pattern service dress introduced in that year.

Last edited by Toby Purcell; 30-06-18 at 07:35 PM.