British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Civilian Services: Police, Prison Service, Fire Brigade, Merchant Navy, etc.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 12-04-15, 01:38 AM

Default Army Department Constabulary, HM Prisons or ?

I have seen this described as a cap badge and as a collar dog and for Army Department Constabulary and HM Prisons. Was it used by either of these? I have seen left facing and right facing and suspect it is a collar dog. Can anyone shed some light on the usage and by whom?

- Michael

image.jpg
Old 12-04-15, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael L View Post
I have seen this described as a cap badge and as a collar dog and for Army Department Constabulary and HM Prisons. Was it used by either of these? I have seen left facing and right facing and suspect it is a collar dog. Can anyone shed some light on the usage and by whom?

- Michael

Attachment 124525
I know it as a collar for the War Department/ Army Department Police. I cannot answer for HM Prisons.

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 12-04-15, 07:30 AM

Prison Service insignia worn in England & Wales prior to 1953 (KC era) had a brass finish (not chrome). That would be my first point. Secondly, as far as I'm aware a badge of this design was not worn by prison staff. A similar design was worn (in chrome and white metal) by the War Dept. Constabulary as collar/epaulette badge.

Dave.
Old 12-04-15, 08:34 AM

Hi I concur with Dave definitely not worn by prison staff.
Bantam
Old 12-04-15, 01:37 PM

Thank you, Dave and Bantam. I did a little more research and it seems the Army Department Constabulary I had seen referenced as using it was not formed until 1964. I also found a reference to the use by the War Department Constabulary as well as a Queen's crown version. Thank you!

- Michael
Old 12-04-15, 02:21 PM

A War Department Constabulary was formed in 1925, and was renamed the Army Department Constabulary in 1964 when the War Office became the Army Department.

In 1971 the Ministry of Defence Police absorbed the ADC along with the Air Force Department Constabulary and the Admiralty Constabulary

Wanted Poppy Pins
Old 12-04-15, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_2817 View Post
A War Department Constabulary was formed in 1925, and was renamed the Army Department Constabulary in 1964 when the War Office became the Army Department.

In 1971 the Ministry of Defence Police absorbed the ADC along with the Air Force Department Constabulary and the Admiralty Constabulary
Yes, correct. But its important to note that although the Army Department Constabulary came into being in 1964, no badges were ever produced bearing the title "Army Department Constabulary". The War Department Constabulary insignia continued to be worn by the re-named force until the formation of the MDP.

Dave.
Old 12-04-15, 07:58 PM

This is an official MOD document and reinforces Dave's comment on the War Department / Army Department Constabulary badges.

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (94.4 KB, 32 views)
Old 12-04-15, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_green_acorn View Post
This is an official MOD document and reinforces Dave's comment on the War Department / Army Department Constabulary badges.

Tim
Thanks for that

Wanted Poppy Pins
Old 13-04-15, 02:11 AM

Thank you for that image, Tim. Here is a picture of the collar badge I have which opposes the one in the first picture I posted.

image.jpg

I have also seen the same pattern with a Queen's crown attributed to the War Constabulary. It is not in this document though. It seemed curious the King's crown version would be shown as used post 1953.

- Michael