British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Civilian Services: Police, Prison Service, Fire Brigade, Merchant Navy, etc.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-02-15, 01:09 AM

Default Unknown British Police Insignia?

I joined a few months ago and have come across some items I could really use some help identifying. I believe the wheel with the King's crown above it was used by the Metropolitan Police. I do not however, know when or exactly how it was used. The star and portcullis are a mystery to me but believed to be British police. I understand RCMP use a similar star in gold signifying five years of service. Can anyone assist with any details regarding by whom and when these were used?

- Michael
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Unknown.jpg (67.6 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg Unknown 2.JPG (27.5 KB, 34 views)
Old 10-02-15, 02:14 AM

Thr portcullis is almost certainly HM Revenue and Customs related but at present I cant look it up for you to be more accurate.

Phil
Old 10-02-15, 03:50 AM

Thank you, Phil. That does look promising for the portcullis. I will keep searching.

-Michael
Old 10-02-15, 08:15 AM

The portcullis was used by the former HM Customs & Excise. However, it was usually surmounted by the Sovereigns Crown. It is also used as an emblem by the House of Commons (UK Parliament), but surmounted by a small Coronet. So, could be connected with either.

The wheel and Crown was worn by members of the Metropolitan Special Constabulary as an arm badge signifying the wearer to be a driver.

The star could either be a rank badge worn by the Metropolitan Police or it would be worn by some UK Police Forces on the forearm to signify that the wearer has a merit award or to indicate long service.

I hope this is helpful.

Dave.
Old 10-02-15, 11:54 PM

Thank you very much, Dave. This is most helpful.

-Michael
Old 11-02-15, 08:55 PM

Star was not worn by the Met, normal WM pips were used.
Steve M
Old 12-02-15, 03:36 AM

Thank you for the information on the star, Steve. Do you know which force(s) used the star or possibly when?

- Michael
Old 12-02-15, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurkha View Post
Star was not worn by the Met, normal WM pips were used.
Steve M
Steve,

I don't quite know where you get this information from but I'm afraid you are wrong. Pips (Bath stars) were and are worn by the Met. but prior to that Bullion and white metal stars were utilised dependant upon rank. A comprehensive unpublished written survey of Metpol. uniform and insignia was produced several years ago by N.W.H. Fairfax (Metropolitan Police Civilian Staff) and V.L.H. Wilkinson (Chief Superintendent, Metropolitan Police). As I say, the manuscript was unpublished. However, the Metpol. Historical Society may allow you to purchase a copy from them if you ask. If you wish to see some photographic evidence of my assertion, let me know.

Dave.
Old 13-02-15, 01:24 AM

Thank you again, Dave. Thank you also for the manuscript information as i will look into getting a copy, if possible.

- Michael
Old 13-02-15, 08:18 AM

Michael,

I am attaching a photo of a Metropolitan Police Inspector taken in the late 1920's. as you can see he is wearing two stars on his collar as a rank badge. This star is in white metal. Superintending ranks and above utilised the same design star but in silver bullion wire, similar to the one you have. I hope this is helpful. I do wish people would not jump in on these threads and make bold statements of fact without some evidence. I don't have a problem with "I think", "maybe", "in my opinion" or similar but to say, "The star is not worn by the Met..........", without qualifying it with evidence is just misleading to those interested viewers and indeed yourself. As an aside, the sword belt continued to be worn by Metropolitan Police Senior Officers on their No:1 (Ceremonial Uniform) for many years after dropping it from everyday wear. The last occasion it was worn (and Ceremonial uniforms generally) was on Remembrance Sunday 1972.

Best wishes, Dave.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Metpol. Insp. 1930's..jpg (33.2 KB, 41 views)

Last edited by altcar73; 13-02-15 at 08:25 AM.
Old 13-02-15, 07:36 PM

Thanks for the photo dave.
My statement was made based on over 30 years collecting met stuff and handling met items from victorian times onwards, and serving + helping aquire items for the Bow street Museum + knowing Vic who purchased my collection. I'm happy to acknowledge when I'm wrong but no need for the snide remark. I'm always happy to try to help members. Also I aquired and passed on a Inspectors 1919 dated No1 uniform with sword belt and parade helmet, working tunic & cap from the family, both tunic rank badges were Pips not stars. So it wasnt just a wild guess but based on my my experience. I am always happy to learn.
What makes you think the officer in the photo is a met officer?
regards
Steve

Last edited by Gurkha; 13-02-15 at 08:51 PM.
Old 13-02-15, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurkha View Post
Thanks for the photo dave.
My statement was made based on over 30 years collecting met stuff and handling met items from victorian times onwards, and serving + helping aquire items for the Bow street Museum + knowing Vic who purchased my collection. I'm happy to acknowledge when I'm wrong but no need for the snide remark. I'm always happy to try to help members. Also I aquired and passed on a Inspectors 1919 dated No1 uniform with sword belt and parade helmet, working tunic & cap from the family, both tunic rank badges were Pips not stars. So it wasnt just a wild guess but based on my my experience. I am always happy to learn.
What makes you think the officer in the photo is a met officer?
regards
Steve
Because his cap badge reads "Metropolitan Police"

Dave.
Old 15-02-15, 01:33 PM

Wow, your eyesight is amazing, the badge on the scan is unreadable, how big is the actual picture? it looks post card size?

regards
Steve
Old 15-02-15, 03:15 PM

Joking apart,
that is a really nice picture, it clearly shows the No1 tunic with the braid on collar and cuffs. The same as the 1919 one I had, why do you think the buttons are subdued, we know they were white metal, but the medal, cap badge, and stars show out fine, they almost look GM or unpolished?
Have you checked to see when the photographer was trading from that address? Gut feeling is, could this be earlier than 30's 1910 ish maybe? Anything on the back?

regards
Steve.
Old 15-02-15, 04:32 PM

Steve,

The photo is a CDV. Photographer is shown on the bottom "W.A.Brown & Son, 146/8 Camberwell Road, SE5". Looking through a loope you can see the wording on the cap badge and the cipher GVR. In fact you can even make out the design of the buttons. According to Fairfax/Wilkinson, the "star" design cap badge was introduced for Inspectorate ranks in 1920. It replaced the King's Crown "garter" cap badge with the GVR centre. On the cap itself the "oakleaf" band was replaced by one of mohair braid.

It goes on to say that in 1921 Superintendent & Inspectorate ranks replaced their embroidered rank badges with metal, ranks changed as follows:-

Sub-Divisional Inspectors - Two stars.
Inspectors - One star.

So it would seem that the gent in the photo is a Sub-Divisional Inspector. I suspect that the location of the photographer would give a clue to his Division. There is nothing marked on the reverse of the photo. I can't explain why his buttons are black.

Dave.