British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

   

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Australian Military Insignia > Light Horse and Armoured (RAAC)

 Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH
 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 20-04-21, 08:54 PM
Tweed's Avatar
Tweed Tweed is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: North Yorkshire
Posts: 696
Default 13 ALH cap badge

Gentlemen
Hereís a nice cap badge I just found ))
I wonder what the white stuff is on the back and where it was made?
Kind regards Chay
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 20-04-21, 10:06 PM
Jackhr Jackhr is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: St Leonards Victoria, Australia
Posts: 1,027
Default

Got to be careful with these badges there were alot made well after the WW1
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 20-04-21, 10:25 PM
Tweed's Avatar
Tweed Tweed is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: North Yorkshire
Posts: 696
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackhr View Post
Got to be careful with these badges there were alot made well after the WW1
Can you share any evidence of that statement ?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 20-04-21, 10:31 PM
slick_mick's Avatar
slick_mick slick_mick is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 4,033
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweed View Post
Can you share any evidence of that statement ?
I agree. It's a badge that has been heavily copied over the years.

Mick
__________________
Looking for Australian military books?

Regimental Books - Australian Unit History specialists

Chasing militaria? I recommend:

Militaria Online - Australian Militaria Sales
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 20-04-21, 10:34 PM
Tweed's Avatar
Tweed Tweed is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: North Yorkshire
Posts: 696
Default

Ok but I have never seen any evidence would anyone like to share just one of these heavily copied fakes?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 20-04-21, 10:50 PM
Jackhr Jackhr is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: St Leonards Victoria, Australia
Posts: 1,027
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweed View Post
Can you share any evidence of that statement ?
These were an unofficial badge made in Egypt or England and is a well known fact these were copied so providence is important . Any body got a original badge and would be able to show it??

jack
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 20-04-21, 10:53 PM
slick_mick's Avatar
slick_mick slick_mick is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 4,033
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweed View Post
Ok but I have never seen any evidence would anyone like to share just one of these heavily copied fakes?
What evidence are you looking for? Pictures of fake ones?

Mick
__________________
Looking for Australian military books?

Regimental Books - Australian Unit History specialists

Chasing militaria? I recommend:

Militaria Online - Australian Militaria Sales
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 20-04-21, 10:59 PM
Jackhr Jackhr is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: St Leonards Victoria, Australia
Posts: 1,027
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweed View Post
Ok but I have never seen any evidence would anyone like to share just one of these heavily copied fakes?
Here is a badge on a bugle which not correct including the bugle . The other is an original in the Victoria museum .

jack
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 13th2520lhr.jpg (40.3 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg VictorianCollections-large.jpg (65.0 KB, 30 views)
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 20-04-21, 11:00 PM
Tweed's Avatar
Tweed Tweed is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: North Yorkshire
Posts: 696
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackhr View Post
These were an unofficial badge made in Egypt or England and is a well known fact these were copied so providence is important . Any body got a original badge and would be able to show it??

jack
Oh I see
So there is no visual evidence itís just word of mouth?

That is interesting you say England as a possibility of manufacturing because I too believe they were made there! The workmanship is beyond African quality and I think a match I will check tomorrow.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 20-04-21, 11:14 PM
Tweed's Avatar
Tweed Tweed is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: North Yorkshire
Posts: 696
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackhr View Post
Here is a badge on a bugle which not correct including the bugle . The other is an original in the Victoria museum .

jack
Nice thank you,
Yes the bugle badge is a poor fake and the museum piece is in poor condition!
Does anyone have a photo of a fake not attached both sides?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 20-04-21, 11:15 PM
slick_mick's Avatar
slick_mick slick_mick is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 4,033
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweed View Post
Oh I see
So there is no visual evidence it’s just word of mouth?

That is interesting you say England as a possibility of manufacturing because I too believe they were made there! The workmanship is beyond African quality and I think a match I will check tomorrow.
The 13th Light Horse had a squadron in France and the rest of the regiment was in Palestine and Egypt.

I was told by Jack Langley (long time Australian militaria dealer) that Tip Taft in the UK made some for them (which makes sense as they had a squadron in France) and that others were made in Egypt (I have also seen rough sand cast 13ALH collars that were made in Egypt and are legit).

The fake ones tend to lack detail, especially around the eyes and have been reproduced heavily over the years. I was told that even a Victorian Motorcycle gang wore copies (though I don't know how true this is).

Mick
__________________
Looking for Australian military books?

Regimental Books - Australian Unit History specialists

Chasing militaria? I recommend:

Militaria Online - Australian Militaria Sales
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 20-04-21, 11:21 PM
Tweed's Avatar
Tweed Tweed is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: North Yorkshire
Posts: 696
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick_mick View Post
The 13th Light Horse had a squadron in France and the rest of the regiment was in Palestine and Egypt.

I was told by Jack Langley (long time Australian militaria dealer) that Tip Taft in the UK made some for them (which makes sense as they had a squadron in France) and that others were made in Egypt (I have also seen rough sand cast 13ALH collars that were made in Egypt and are legit).

The fake ones tend to lack detail, especially around the eyes and have been reproduced heavily over the years. I was told that even a Victorian Motorcycle gang wore copies (though I don't know how true this is).

Mick
Mick !
That is amazing you should say that because tomorrow I was going to reveal what I thought to be the manufacturer! I have a Tiptaft badge that matches, itís a devil badge too little black devils Canadian.
The paint is the same I need to double check the lugs !
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 20-04-21, 11:25 PM
Tweed's Avatar
Tweed Tweed is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: North Yorkshire
Posts: 696
Default

Btw I donít collect devil badges they just keep appearing in my collection!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 21-04-21, 06:38 AM
Lancer 17 Lancer 17 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Melbourne Australia.
Posts: 1,460
Smile

This badge was covered in some detail in a previous thread maybe 2 or 3 years ago do a search and see what comes up.

I got one in the 70's from a reputable dealer in Melbourne who told me that mine is a good one,

In my opinion there should be a clear separation between the top of the trident and the ear, there should be only one point of contact between the decoration on the left as you look at it and the left knee and the circle on the inside of the leg should be voided. The "Devil" should be mostly vertical any badge that is "squeezed" is not genuine.

I hope that this helps.

Phil.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 21-04-21, 03:07 PM
Tweed's Avatar
Tweed Tweed is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: North Yorkshire
Posts: 696
Default

I comparable test of visual evidence hahah
I believe yes indeed Tiptaft is the manufacturer, paint does look the same and the lugs look same also base metal where it looks clean
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DA028043-FDEB-49B8-8750-FF8C1AD48740.jpg (71.2 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 6C734867-CFE6-473C-9934-21CFC0A7D2CD.jpg (68.7 KB, 22 views)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:16 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.