British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Military Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 05-10-14, 10:06 AM

Default 17 lb. shell case that killed a Tiger tank

I found this ash tray in a local auction room. I am told that it commerates the killing and capture of the first Tiger tank in North Africa, please can anybody fill in the details of this action, John.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 17 lb SHELL CASE 001.jpg (59.9 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg 17 lb SHELL CASE 002.jpg (56.7 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg 17 lb SHELL CASE 003.jpg (57.8 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg 17 lb SHELL CASE 004.jpg (61.1 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg 17 lb SHELL CASE 005.jpg (51.3 KB, 49 views)
Old 05-10-14, 10:45 AM

Hi John, I'm sure the Tiger tank at Bovington is the first Tiger faced by the Allies in North Africa. It was captured and returned to the Britain for assessment.

I have a family connection to that Tiger. My Mother's Uncle was in the troop that recovered it. As he told me the Sergeant asked for "volunteer's" and chose him
and a few others... There again they always say a "volunteer" in the Army is someone who didn't understand the question....

I'm sure I've read though that it broke down and wasn't lost to damage from fire. So can't say whether that shell casing base is referencing this Tiger or not. I'll look on line today, as i'm sure it has something somewhere in this Bovington Tiger.

Regards

Simon.
Old 05-10-14, 10:46 AM

Try this

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...-deadly-820143
Old 05-10-14, 11:11 AM

Here you go John, it seems' it was hit.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ww2peop...a3710134.shtml
Old 05-10-14, 11:14 AM

Hello John

Nice shell case but, as far as I am aware, the first Tiger tank to be 'knocked out' in North Africa was hit by a 6pdr shell, not a 17pdr.

Regards
Roger
Old 05-10-14, 11:19 AM

The one thing I would say is that 17pounders were installed on the Firefly in readiness to face the Tiger's in Normandy. This was based on the research mentioned in the first article that having the Tiger helped prepare for D-Day.

It maybe a shell that did nock out a Tiger, but possibly in the D-Day campaign.

Simon.
Old 05-10-14, 11:28 AM

Hello Simon

The 17pdr was indeed capable of knocking out a Tiger but I see that in the fourth photo the shell is clearly marked "To Tiger".

Possibly this is just a presentation piece to someone known as Tiger and nothing to do with a Tiger tank at all!

Still think it is a great piece though, well worth a place in anyone's collection, nice early date too!

Regards
Roger

Last edited by Cribyn; 05-10-14 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Correct typo
Old 05-10-14, 11:42 AM

I think you may have hit the nail on the head there Roger. Good catch.

Simon.
Old 05-10-14, 11:57 AM

Looking at the middle photo, could this be a gauntlet? I'm thinking this was a formation sign for an armored unit but can't remember which one. This might be a way to place this piece.

Don
Old 05-10-14, 12:54 PM

Default British 6th Armoured Division

The engraved image on the 17 PDR cartridge case represents the British 6th Armoured Division formation sign.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6th-Armour...item2ed74c6ade
Old 05-10-14, 01:03 PM

[IMG][/IMG]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jubilationtcornpone View Post
Looking at the middle photo, could this be a gauntlet? I'm thinking this was a formation sign for an armored unit but can't remember which one. This might be a way to place this piece.

Don
The armoured fist is the formation sign of the 6th armoured Division

Here is a link to Wikki on 6th armoured
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6th_Arm...United_Kingdom)

Last edited by Loski; 05-10-14 at 01:14 PM.
Old 05-10-14, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Investment View Post
The engraved image on the 17 PDR cartridge case represents the British 6th Armoured Division formation sign.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6th-Armour...item2ed74c6ade
And as stated on the case the unit (6 Armd Div's Anti-Tank Regt) was 72 ATk Regt - the unit serial 77 is also engraved on the case. The gun in question in this unit will have been either the towed 17 Pdr Atk Gun or the same gun mounted on a Valentine tank chassis as the Archer SP ATk Gun. Mike
Old 05-10-14, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGSHANKS View Post
The one thing I would say is that 17pounders were installed on the Firefly in readiness to face the Tiger's in Normandy. This was based on the research mentioned in the first article that having the Tiger helped prepare for D-Day.

It maybe a shell that did nock out a Tiger, but possibly in the D-Day campaign.

Simon.
Removed
Old 05-10-14, 09:56 PM
Banned

Default Tiger Tank I

Good evening.

Whilst I would not confess any expertise in the matter (and, I simply cannot be bothered to dig out all my reference material on tanks and A/T guns) a simple answer seems to be:

"Eager to make use of the powerful new weapon, Hitler ordered the vehicle be pressed into service months earlier than planned.[35] A platoon of four Tigers was put into action on 23 September 1942 near Leningrad.[36] Operating in swampy, forested terrain their movement was largely confined to roads and tracks, making defense against them far easier. Many of these early models were plagued by problems with the transmission, which had difficulty handling the heavy weight of the vehicle if pushed too hard. It took time for drivers to learn how to avoid over taxing the vehicle, and many broke down. The most significant event from this engagement was that one of Tigers became stuck in swampy ground and had to be abandoned. Captured largely intact, its capture allowed the Soviets to study the design and prepare countermeasures.[37]

A battalion of Tigers was deployed to the Don Front in the autumn of 1942, but arrived too late to participate in the attack to relieve Stalingrad, (Operation Winter Storm). It was subsequently engaged in heavy defensive fighting in the Rostov-on-Don and adjacent sectors in January and February 1943.

In the North African theatre, the Tiger first saw action on 1 December 1942 east of Tebourba, Tunisia.[38] The first loss to an Allied gun was on 20 January 1943 near Robaa, Tunisia[39] when a battery of the British 72nd Anti-tank Regiment knocked out two Tigers with six-pounders. The failed attack on Béja at the end of February saw seven Tigers lost in the "Panzer Graveyard".[40]"

For the original references, enter "Tiger tank" into Wikipedia.

Interestingly, of course, Béja gave rise to the famous badge we all know about. Don't we?

So, there we go:I know nothing (Said a with thick foreign accent.)!

Enjoy.

S.T.
Old 06-10-14, 03:42 PM

As a digression, the first Tiger taken out in Tank v's Tank action by the Western allies was by tanks of the North Irish Horse, who were also the first Western Allied unit to destroy a Panther in tank v's tank action.

From http://northirishhorse.net/index.html

During the battle for Hunt's Gap in Tunisia, one of its Churchills was the first tank ever to knock out a German PzKfw VI - Tiger.

During the assault on the Hitler Line in Italy its tanks were the first of the Western Allies to knock out PzKfw V - Panthers - two of them.

Jerry