British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Artillery, Royal Engineers and Royal Signals.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-08-14, 05:56 PM
Major Dundee

Default Question's from a novice please ????

Hi
Can anyone tell me when the Royal Artillery "SPINNING WHEEL" Cap Badge first came into service and was it a WW1 Cap Badge? and what type of Artillery units would have wore it please ?????

Also

How can I tell if a Nott's & Derby Cap Badge is a WW1 issue ?????

Thanks in advance

Paul
Old 03-08-14, 05:59 PM
Super Moderator

The spinning wheel was never a sealed pattern so you cannot date it. The official issue ones in WW1 had a fixed wheel and in 1917 were unpierced.

Notts and Derby badges were the same from 1906 until post WW2.
Old 03-08-14, 06:04 PM
Major Dundee

Thanks Alan
Great fast response
Thanks very Much
Paul
Old 04-08-14, 05:01 PM

From the research I've done the Spinning Wheel badge was in use during WW1 but the unit origin is where the story gets blurred. One thing I can be sure of is that the The gun depicted on the cap badge is based on a 9pdr Rifled Muzzle Loader of about 1871, and the rammer used to ram the charge into the muzzle is also seen, to the left of the carriage wheel. So the badge cannot predate 1871.

Is that any help?
Old 05-08-14, 01:04 AM

The RA gun cap badge came into use in 1902. Officers badges had an applied wheel, OR's didn't. Same as with previously worn helmet plates. However, there do exist private purchase OR's badges with an applied wheel.
Around 1970 OR's badges did get an applied wheel when the A/A cap and beret badges got unseeded scrolls, but in exchange for the wheel the badge lost detail to the ground, the chain, the elevating screw, felloes and rivets on the wheel and the grab handles on the carriage.

Rgds, thomas.
Old 05-08-14, 03:49 PM
Major Dundee

Thanks Thomas and Hussars 100
Very good information
Best wishes
Paul