British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-11-14, 12:33 PM
Former Member

Default Unknown PTA badge - Fattorini

Can anyone help ID this one please? It will be for sale if it does not fall in to my broad collecting sphere, so please do not comment if you object.

Measuring 35 x 39 mm and Gilding-metal. I have written off "Parent -Teachers Association"? With the nautical symbols I though perhaps a "Transport Authority" (?) but would have expected a Crescent Moon for Pompey (Portsmouth)?

Thanks in advance

Andy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20 Nov 14 001.jpg (102.0 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg 20 Nov 14 002.jpg (87.4 KB, 57 views)
Old 20-11-14, 01:00 PM

Hi Andy,
It looks similar to some Lancashire Territorial Arm badges I have seen, there is one from Hindley (L/North/Lancs) on Deadspartan site (I Am not sure the WW1 description is correct as I have seen them as WW2 HG related)
T.A. may be Territorial Army in P.T.A. though that is just me guessing. (Plymouth?)
Paul

Last edited by Paul Spellman; 20-11-14 at 01:06 PM.
Old 20-11-14, 01:07 PM

Preston to fall in with Pauls suggestion of Lancashire TA?

What does the motto at the bottom say? Can't quite read it.

cheers,

Andy C
Old 20-11-14, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC_65 View Post
Preston to fall in with Pauls suggestion of Lancashire TA?

What does the motto at the bottom say? Can't quite read it.

cheers,

Andy C
Vigilantia - which means Vigilance (sounds more military than school?)
Paul
Old 20-11-14, 01:17 PM

Hi Andy,

Well, I did a bit of digging and may have an answer. There were four ports in The Port of Tilbury Authority, with Tilbury having the coat of arms as the three Saxon crowns with the frigate above the shield. The other ports are: The Royal Docks (Albert, Victoria & King George); West India & Millwall docks and The London & St Katherine Dock Company. The three remaining coat of arms may represent these ports.

Incidentally, the company that now runs the Port of London Authority is called Forth Ports. Another fact is that the Mulberry Floating Harbour was constructed in West India & Millwall docks.

So my best guess is that it was a badge worn by workers in the PTA on the lapel?

There, I've started the ball rolling, but you will have to put some flesh on the bones to be certain of it.

Garry
Old 20-11-14, 01:25 PM

Among the results of Googling the full motto (Servat Vigilantia Concors), an enamelled badge with similar device came up. However the top inscription is "PUBLIC SERVICE". Possibly a Corporation badge?

GTB
Old 20-11-14, 01:32 PM

Default Port of Tyne Authority?

An educated guess...

The top shield looks like the coat of arms of Newcastle, and the right hand shield which looks like the coat of arms of South Shield (town motto - "Always Ready" over a ship at sea). Not sure of the other two, although at least one also has a ship on top!

Best regards,

Tim
Old 20-11-14, 01:54 PM

Default Port of Tyne Authority!

Prompted by Rockape's post (which I hadn't seen when I offered my opinion) I have dug further. The bottom shield could be Gateshead (a three-bit castle with a goats head on top) while the left hand shield could be North Shields (three crowns - no eagle, though!- and a ship on top).

Hope this helps!

Tim
Old 20-11-14, 02:44 PM

Following on from TWGB what about Port Of Tyne Authority?
Eddie
Old 20-11-14, 03:14 PM

Here is a link to an old Port of Tilbury Authority Police Cap badge. It looks similar to the left coat of arms.

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/i...2bROyAxXi8qYGg
Old 20-11-14, 03:28 PM

Default Snap!

Well, almost...

Mine is gilded, and generally thought to be the Tynemouth VTC.

This badge is the arms of Tynemouth, adopted in 1849. The miner and fisherman either side represent main sources of employment at the time...

I should have got this earlier. My first guess was based on two VTC badges, and now this is a third (Tynemouth, not North Shields as previously cited).

Best regards,

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tynemouth VTC.JPG (42.1 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by TWGB; 20-11-14 at 03:34 PM. Reason: spelling!
Old 20-11-14, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2747andy View Post
Can anyone help ID this one please? It will be for sale if it does not fall in to my broad collecting sphere, so please do not comment if you object.

Measuring 35 x 39 mm and Gilding-metal. I have written off "Parent -Teachers Association"? With the nautical symbols I though perhaps a "Transport Authority" (?) but would have expected a Crescent Moon for Pompey (Portsmouth)?

Thanks in advance

Andy
Your badge is a security officer's cap badge. "PTA" refers to Port of Tyne Authority. The four "Arms" are Gateshead, South Shields, Tynemouth and Newcastle-upon-Tyne.

Dave.
Old 22-11-14, 08:58 AM

7010549_orig.jpg

it is the swing bridge operators badge and last issue was in 1959
Old 22-11-14, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl pierce View Post
Attachment 116445

it is the swing bridge operators badge and last issue was in 1959
I'm sorry but your suggestion that the badge was last issued in 1959 is certainly not correct. The badge has on it "PTA" (Port of Tyne Authority). The authority was formed in 1968 so the badge can only date from that year. It is highly unlikely that the "Swing Bridge Operator" would have a badge made specially for him, important individual he no doubt was. The predecessor to the PTA was the Tyne Improvement Commission.

Dave.
Old 26-11-14, 03:30 PM
Banned

Default The best silver tourist river in England!

Good afternoon.

Well, that was all very helpful. Not. Good job two Members finally got there.

Anyway, quick one for Garry: I think old boy you may well find the Mulberry harbours were not made in West India & Millwall Docks. The Phoenix units were, yes. The remaining sub-assemblies were constructed all around the UK from Perth round to the Medway, Southampton and Conway and then assembled primarily along the south coast. They were designed and built by many of the firms with whom I have worked, or am still working, including Oscar Faber, Rendell, Palmer Tritton, Arups, Halcrow, Wates, Mowlem, Costain and McAlpine.

When I have a moment I will upload the full references.

Edit: "Code Name Mulberry. The Planning, Building and Operation of the Normandy Harbours." by Guy Hartcup. Pub. David & Charles. 1977. See Fig. 18. and pp 77-98.

Table 2. pp 94-95, gives a list of construction sites, contractors and Consultants for the Phoenix Programme, and a useful list of materials used. Impressive!

Enjoy.

S.T.

Last edited by Silver Tourist; 27-11-14 at 12:07 PM. Reason: For the hell of it.