British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > The Home Front

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-12-20, 11:55 PM

Location: A Yorkshireman in exile 'Up North' and an ‘Honorary Smoggie’.

In reference to the Coventry Ordnance badge. I accept fully that the turnover of workers may have necessitated the re-use and consequent renumbering of a badge to save money. However, it would strike me as strange that having used the brass badge several times as an economy measure that the company would then issue the enamelled version. Although slight differences in the enamelling might exist between individual badges, I venture the opinion that the longest serving munition workers would have been recognised at the end of the war for their efforts by the award of the enamelled version (a sort of ‘did their bit’ tribute badge). It would explain why so few appear for sale.
Cheers
James
Old 19-12-20, 07:13 AM

Hi James and Mike

I like your reasoning and think that you may have a good point there. That there are more than a few out there AND that they seem to more or less follow a similar colour scheme would point towards some special distinction (a la "did his/her bit" badges).

My badge has a "half moon" clip and the example Mike shows is a pin back. The rule of thumb that I was told to work to is that most pin backs are for wear by women (borne out by the name scratched on the back of the badge) and that the lapel fitting is for a man.

Mind you, I do have badges with the lapel fitting removed (with varying degrees of skill...) and a pin back put in its place.

As most of these standard COW badges were numbered (many times as we have seen!), the fact that the enameled versions are not would suggest that they no longer had a "work" function but were worn as "symbols of services rendered".
Old 19-12-20, 10:18 AM

While it would be great if these badges turn out to be a token of thanks from the company my own view (from when I first saw them) is that an enterprising local artisan/jeweller simply 'enamelled' the worker's own badge to turn it into a sweetheart/dress item.

The quality/uniformity of the badges is lacking and as the basic badges came with three different fittings (buttonhole, basic pin and safety pin) it would seem probable that if the enamel ones were 'presentation' items they would all have the same secure fitting (safety pin ?). Also you would expect 'presentation' items to have some detail , name/number , properly stamped/engraved on them.

As with a lot of badges from this era the lack of detailed information means that we rely on opinions and conjecture but over time more details may turn up.

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 04-01-21, 06:48 AM

Default Unissued 1915 badge?

Found this standard 1915 badge apparently unissued and complete with its numbered box.

Proof that they didn't always get the quality control 100% is the large "blob" of solder(?) that has been left on the front of the badge...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1915badge2.jpg (40.1 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg 1915badge3.jpg (40.0 KB, 27 views)
Old 08-02-21, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliedog012012 View Post
Gentlemen, I would be interested to see your viewpoint on the following eBay listing......mmmmm!
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1915-WW1-...oAAOSwKwZfmuPS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_vee View Post
It's already on my "watch list" , it's a 1915 enamel version with the enamel removed (some specs of blue and white visible in close-up).
Todays bargain ! (Buy it Now only £50.00)

Extremely Rare ON WAR SERVICE 1915 BADGE

"This badge is is identical to the Gaunt London Blue/white enameled badge but for some reason its not been through the enamelling process, it's the only badge of its type I've ever seen in over 30 years of badge collecting and possibly the only one of its type".

Old 08-02-21, 05:28 PM

Well what can I say? Only one of its kind.....I am sure that the bidding will be fierce........or perhaps not! When I think that I have seen everything something comes along to astound me. Think I will definitely pass on that one. I must remember to find time to chip the enamel off my example and turn it into a rare badge!!!!
Cheers
James
Old 09-02-21, 06:11 AM

So is this the same badge that had been "de-enameled" before or is it another "rare" 1915 variant?

Enamel is not easy to remove so maybe they've earned their money just doing that....
Old 09-02-21, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
So is this the same badge that had been "de-enameled" before or is it another "rare" 1915 variant?

Enamel is not easy to remove so maybe they've earned their money just doing that....
Well , since the seller has 30 years badge collecting experience and never seen one it must be rare !

The other one sold in November and went for £19.88 + £3.95 postage , so if it is the same one they've added £30.00 to its value.

PS. The toning and patina on this one looks different to the earlier one.

Old 09-02-21, 05:55 PM

Default OWS badge

I have one that I picked up in a militaria lot. Do some folks collect these? As with most fields, I assume there are those who want one of each representative type and maker. I don't know if this one is common or uncommon. I haven't seen a lot of these in Canada.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2190.jpg (76.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2191.jpg (63.9 KB, 13 views)
Old 09-02-21, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exmilcop View Post
I have one that I picked up in a militaria lot. Do some folks collect these? As with most fields, I assume there are those who want one of each representative type and maker. I don't know if this one is common or uncommon. I haven't seen a lot of these in Canada.
The badge you have is from the last "series" issued , each "series" (99,999) had an identification 'letter'. The first "series" was 'K' and the last 'Z' , various different manufacturers were involved so the combination of manufacturer/series/finish means there are possibly over 100 'variations'.

1915 ‘On War Service’ alphanumeric series makers

My album show 3 different variations :

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...p?albumid=4155

Old 10-02-21, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_vee View Post
Well , since the seller has 30 years badge collecting experience and never seen one it must be rare !

The other one sold in November and went for £19.88 + £3.95 postage , so if it is the same one they've added £30.00 to its value.

PS. The toning and patina on this one looks different to the earlier one.

My dear late father used to sing "I've never seen a straight banana"... so maybe this is the badge version!

Must put a watch on it!
Old 11-02-21, 02:51 PM

Exclamation 1916 Gaunt

Managed to get hold of a "rounded corner" 1916 Gaunt badge (Thanks Rick).

Does it resolve the 'made' or 'modified' issue ?

In hand , it looks and feels like it has not been modified and hopefully the photos show this.

Weight : 10.00g (but bottom fitting is missing , so initially a bit more).

Corners appear symmetric , similar shape , angle and size.

No signs of 'clipping' or filing on corners.

No damage/distortion from being held in vice.

The top corner is smooth and well shaped , unlike others that appear more 'pointed' or 'flatter' due to difficulty in shaping caused by pin fitting getting in the way.

One area of doubt is that it has a 5 figure (early) number 94618 , so if Gaunt manufactured this style why go back to the 'pointed' version ?

So, although I now have both Gaunt and Wylie versions there is no definitive proof that they were 'manufactured' this way and they may 'possibly' just be the result of 'modification' by a skillful jeweller/metal worker !

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1916 F.jpg (32.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 1916 R.jpg (38.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Top corner F.jpg (26.0 KB, 4 views)

Old 11-02-21, 06:52 PM

When I looked at the bottom left of the badge (just before the ‘J’), there seems to be a very tiny imperfection, almost like a ridge. I did actually think initially that it was manufactured with rounded corners but reading your comments Mike, I am now back in the ‘undecided camp’. Interesting observations you make in respect of the number.
Cheers
James
Old 11-02-21, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliedog012012 View Post
When I looked at the bottom left of the badge (just before the ‘J’), there seems to be a very tiny imperfection, almost like a ridge.
Hi James , on close inspection (under bright light) I think that is just patina/tarnish , there is a slight 'ripple' (like a paint/varish run) down the line where the markers mark is.

The number on my Wylie "round corner" badge is 208179 , so quite a gap between dates for both badges.

As much as I am trying to show these badges were manufactured , the more I dig the more I doubt !

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gaunt.jpg (47.3 KB, 8 views)

Old 12-02-21, 07:41 AM

Well, in my humble opinion, both may be right.

The one I have that is rounded, is clearly (to me) done post manufacture, and I have seen quite heavily rounded ones where the maker marks have been partially ground off, but equally, there appears to be some that do look manufactured.

I think Gaunt and Wylie may have responded to demand for rounded ones and made two versions? Given they are far less common, is it also possible the rounding was an unofficial way of a 'higher up' worker distinguishing themselves, like the nickel plated versions for managers? (acknowledging it's possible the plating was done post war, and it signified nothing in particular).

But, as always, more info, more thoughts and input from everyone here, is always good.

Cheers, Tim