British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Headdress

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-02-24, 10:34 PM

Default NORTHAMPTONSHIRE IMPERIAL YEOMANRY

This newest acquisition and addition to my collection of British dragoon helmets arrived at my home in the United States on 20/2/2024 and brings to an end an almost 20-year search for this extremely rare officer's dragoon helmet to the Northamptonshire Imperial Yeomanry. The helmet was worn from 1902 through 1908 with only approximately 25 to 30 of them produced for the officers of the regiment to be worn in full dress. Other ranks did not wear dragoon helmets in full dress, and none were ever produced or issued, their full-dress uniform was completed with a forage cap. This regiment was unique with its corn flower blue over white horsehair plume that adorned the officer's helmets. Please enjoy the pictures and please feel free to share any comments. Thank you for looking!

Cheers,

David
Old 12-05-24, 07:22 PM

This is another stunning helmet thanks David. The Imperial Yeomanry period certainly produced some eye watering patterns for Full Dress. I am fortunate to own a number of yeomanry cap badges that were loaned by Keith Hook to make up the photograph of these badges in the book of the uniforms of "The Yeomanry Force at the 1911 Coronation" by Smith and Harris. Although slightly later than the IY helmets all are stunning.

Thanks for sharing, Dean
Old 12-05-24, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooke07 View Post
This is another stunning helmet thanks David. The Imperial Yeomanry period certainly produced some eye watering patterns for Full Dress. I am fortunate to own a number of yeomanry cap badges that were loaned by Keith Hook to make up the photograph of these badges in the book of the uniforms of "The Yeomanry Force at the 1911 Coronation" by Smith and Harris. Although slightly later than the IY helmets all are stunning.

Thanks for sharing, Dean
Hello Dean,

I have that book in my library... in fact the entire series of those small books about the various Yeomanry regiments! That was a marvelous series of books, very scholarly, exploding with so much relevant information, very definitive works... history, organization and my interest... the various uniforms... I was saddened to see the series come to an end! I must agree with you... the Yeomanry regiments turned out in some magnificent uniforms on par with the regular army cousins setting a standard for British military fashion of the day!

I am so pleased you like the Northamptonshire Imperial Yeomanry helmet, too! I was always struck by that helmet with its unique plume... cornflower blue and white... thank you for taking time to look at it in my post and sharing your kind remarks with me!

I am sharing another helmet with you from my collation, pictures attached... not Yeomanry and not really cavalry, but uniformed as heavy cavalry, a very rare helmet to the 1st Lancashire Mounted Rifle Volunteers, a small, short-lived unit of three officers and approximately fifty other ranks that existed for about eighteen months from 1860 into 1861. If you have David J. J, Rowes' book on British Heavy Cavalry, the helmet is referenced pages 152-153, I believe. Please enjoy!

What is your collecting interest?

Cheers,

David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1stLancMountedRifleVol1 (2).jpg (50.3 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 1stLancMountedRifleVol3jpg.jpg (52.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 1stLancMountedRifleVol2jpg.jpg (101.0 KB, 9 views)
Old 13-05-24, 02:29 AM

That's another splendid helmet thanks David and yes exceptionally rare for the relative age and number produced. I do like that early yeomanry/yeomanry cavalry era but it is a bit of a nightmare to trace at times. I have only done so as I collect badges including titles and buttons to Lincolnshire IY/Y, Northumberland Hussars, Yorkshire Dragoons and Yorkshire Hussars. The only headdress items I have are to King Edward's Horse, a regiment I have a keen interest in researching as per the website I maintain as per the link below, cheers Dean
Old 13-05-24, 04:10 AM

Quote:
That's another splendid helmet thanks David and yes exceptionally rare for the relative age and number produced. I do like that early yeomanry/yeomanry cavalry era but it is a bit of a nightmare to trace at times. I have only done so as I collect badges including titles and buttons to Lincolnshire IY/Y, Northumberland Hussars, Yorkshire Dragoons and Yorkshire Hussars. The only headdress items I have are to King Edward's Horse, a regiment I have a keen interest in researching as per the website I maintain as per the link below, cheers Dean
Hello Dean,

I just took a quick look at your King's Colonials website... how very interesting! I will sit down with my morning coffee on Monday morning and begin to read through it... your site is the sort of information that I find riveting... so looking forward to the read! I would enjoy seeing any pictures you might think appropriate to share of your pieces of headdress.

I am not a cap badge collector at all, like you, finding the Yeomanry a nightmare, I find that aspect of British militaria collecting a real nightmare... there are way too many nuance varieties of badges, sub-variants, name changes, et cetra making it all too confusing for me. I limit myself to dragoon helmets, Victorian home service helmets and Victorian officer's home service helmet plates.

This another unusual Yeomanry helmet in my collection to the Derbyshire imperial Yeomanry with a special helmet plate created to be worn by the 1902 coronation contingent to Edward VII coronation...

Cheers,

David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Derbbyshire Imperial Yeomenry 13.jpg (55.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Derbyshire Imperial Yeomenry 11.jpg (53.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Derbyshire Imperial Yeomenry 12.jpg (56.4 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Derbyshire Yeomanry 5.jpg (117.6 KB, 7 views)
Old 13-05-24, 04:26 AM

I have friend Alex White, a fellow Forum member who has family history in the DY and collects to them and Notts & Derby Regiment and he will froth at the mouth seeing this gem. My goodness you have quite the collection.

I hope you enjoy the website. Here is my KEH Officers Service Dress cap - circa 1912.

Cheers Dean
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6412.jpg (77.4 KB, 15 views)
Old 13-05-24, 01:57 PM

Quote:
I have friend Alex White, a fellow Forum member who has family history in the DY and collects to them and Notts & Derby Regiment and he will froth at the mouth seeing this gem. My goodness you have quite the collection.

I hope you enjoy the website. Here is my KEH Officers Service Dress cap - circa 1912.

Cheers Dean
Hello Dean,

Thank you, I acquired the Derbyshire Imperial Yeomanry helmet a few years ago from the great, great granddaughter of a trooper who was serving in the regiment in 1902... the helmet had been in the family since new and the relative I purchased it from had no interest or sentimental attachment to it, it was quite a find! There is another example held by and on display at the Derbyshire Squadron Headquarters and Museum.

Your King Edwards Horse service cap is exceptional... stunning condition! Is the cap badge executed in bronze or brass bronzed? I think the drab, if that is the correct description of the color, caps are often more striking than the other colored caps of regular and other Yeomanry regiments... the red piping and hat band make a great contrast to the subdued coloring of the rest of the cap. As I mentioned, I took a quick look at your website last evening, focused mostly on the photographs... the slouch hats(?) worn by the regiment are most interesting. Are they of the same color as the service cap and share the same embellishments? I will be settling in with my morning coffee and begin to explore your website!

Here is another Yeomanry helmet from my collection. It is a helmet once owned by Major Andrew Roddick, Essex Yeomanry complete with its storage tin. Major Roddick was killed in action on or about 13 May 1915 while leading a squadron of the Essex Yeomanry along with troops from several other regular and yeomanry regiments on an attack of German trenches at the battle of Frezenburg Ridge, Ypres, Belgium. I have also included pictures of some of my home service helmets... 5th Weald of Kent Rifle Volunteers, Royal Artillery and Aberdeen City Artillery Volunteers, 2nd Midlothian and Peebles Rifle Volunteers, and a helmet to the 1st Volunteer Battalion, King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry... please enjoy!

Cheers,

David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Essex Yeomanry 10 (2).jpg (59.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Essex Yeomanry 9 (2).jpg (59.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Essex Yeomanry 12 (2).jpg (54.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Essex Yeomanry 13 (2).jpg (76.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Essex Yeomanry 14.jpg (89.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 5th Weald of Kent Rifle Volunteers 1.jpg (49.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 5th Weald of Kent Rifle Volunteers.jpg (51.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Aberdeen City Artillery Voulteers 5.jpg (61.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 2nd Midlothian and Peebles Rifle Volunteers 2.jpg (47.4 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 2nd Midlothian and Peebles Rifle Volunteers a.jpg (47.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg King's Own Yorshire Light Infantry 1st Volunteer Battalion 3.jpg (60.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg King's Own Yorshire Light Infantry 1.jpg (64.3 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg King's Own Yorshire Light Infantry 1st Volunteer Battalion 4.jpg (83.4 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Aberdeen City Artillery Voulteers 1.jpg (55.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 2nd Midlothian and Peebles Rifle Volunteers 4.jpg (91.7 KB, 8 views)
Old 13-05-24, 07:47 PM

Some splendid helmets there thanks David. The craftsmanship required to make them was a certainly a well-honed skill in design and execution.

My friend and fellow Forum member Michael (aka Expat Yeoman) has an Essex Yeomanry helmet among his extensive Essex Yeomanry collection. Well worth you having a look at some of his regimental badge research https://www.essexmilitarybadges.uk/ and I recommend his books on the component parts of some of the Essex Regiments.

In the attached pics you can see a mock up of what would have been an earlier King's Colonial hat which came with a 1913 dated KEH tunic and trousers named to an Australian. The slouch hat was a 1945 Australian one but you can see the effect the collector was trying to achieve.

The badge on the service cap is die cast bronze as many OSD cap badges are.

Thanks again for sharing so many helmets from your collection and for taking an interest in one of the lesser-known Yeomanry regiments.

best regards Dean
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KEH hat.jpg (76.5 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg KEH hat side.jpg (50.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6413.jpg (104.6 KB, 6 views)
Old 13-05-24, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Some splendid helmets there thanks David. The craftsmanship required to make them was a certainly a well-honed skill in design and execution.

My friend and fellow Forum member Michael (aka Expat Yeoman) has an Essex Yeomanry helmet among his extensive Essex Yeomanry collection. Well worth you having a look at some of his regimental badge research https://www.essexmilitarybadges.uk/ and I recommend his books on the component parts of some of the Essex Regiments.

In the attached pics you can see a mock up of what would have been an earlier King's Colonial hat which came with a 1913 dated KEH tunic and trousers named to an Australian. The slouch hat was a 1945 Australian one but you can see the effect the collector was trying to achieve.

The badge on the service cap is die cast bronze as many OSD cap badges are.

Thanks again for sharing so many helmets from your collection and for taking an interest in one of the lesser-known Yeomanry regiments.

best regards Dean
Hi Dean,

Likewise, thank you for sharing your website and pictures of items from your collection! Your website is most interesting... I am particularly interested in the uniform aspects; this regiment has a most unique dress among the Yeomanry, and I have enjoyed studying both the period photographs as well as the actual examples of the regiments uniform. I will look at your friends Essex website in due course, I want to digest everything your website has to offer first. Your friends Essex helmet, do you know, is it an officer's helmet?

Kindest regards,

David
Old 14-05-24, 08:36 AM

I've been following this thread with great interest, even more so when an EY item popped into the mix! David, you have some stunning items (I think you have a VB Essex Regt helmet too?)

David, I have examples of both officer and other rank helmets for the Essex Yeomanry. Although the regiment did explore the adoption of dragoon helmets around 1906 it was 1911 before they were introduced, so post IY period, though that doesn't detract. While not as elaborate as many of the other Yeomanry designs they are still elegant pieces. My officer's one was owned by HH Gepp who served with Roddick before the outbreak of the Great War.

I was also very fortunate to acquire a trial pattern of the helmet, likely a unique example, from when the regiment was exploring options for new headdress before settling on the dragoon pattern.

Roddick's is a particularly fine example. He would surely have had it from new (1911) and left it in Blighty in August 1914 when mobilised. As you already know he was one of the many who did not return home so it would have barely been used. I have researched him in some detail and if you would be interested to know more about him drop me a PM and I'd be happy to share and compare notes.

With best wishes

Michael (EY)
Old 14-05-24, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expat Yeoman View Post
I've been following this thread with great interest, even more so when an EY item popped into the mix! David, you have some stunning items (I think you have a VB Essex Regt helmet too?)

David, I have examples of both officer and other rank helmets for the Essex Yeomanry. Although the regiment did explore the adoption of dragoon helmets around 1906 it was 1911 before they were introduced, so post IY period, though that doesn't detract. While not as elaborate as many of the other Yeomanry designs they are still elegant pieces. My officer's one was owned by HH Gepp who served with Roddick before the outbreak of the Great War.

I was also very fortunate to acquire a trial pattern of the helmet, likely a unique example, from when the regiment was exploring options for new headdress before settling on the dragoon pattern.

Roddick's is a particularly fine example. He would surely have had it from new (1911) and left it in Blighty in August 1914 when mobilised. As you already know he was one of the many who did not return home so it would have barely been used. I have researched him in some detail and if you would be interested to know more about him drop me a PM and I'd be happy to share and compare notes.

With best wishes

Michael (EY)
Hello Michael,

Thank you for reaching out to me!! I am so pleased you have been following this conversation on the Forum. Likewise, thank you for your very kind remarks regarding the helmets in my collection... this collection is indeed a true labor of love!

I think, in many ways, the Essex Yeomanry helmet, as you have suggested, is not as flashy as helmets to other Yeomanry regiments, but it is very elegant in a very understated and sophisticated way and is even more beautiful when seen with the regiments green uniform. Major Roddick's helmet as you said has seen very, very little ware only seen at the helmets liner in a very minor way, otherwise it is without a blemish or marred in any way. There were several pictures of Major Roddick include with the acquisition of the helmet, all appear to be post mobilization, 1914-time frame and all show him in service dress. I would love to see the proposed helmet for the regiment... will PM you shortly! Speaking of proposed helmets, did you happen to take a look at my most recent post, Imperial Yeomanry Helmet? It is my most recent acquisition, arrived this past Saturday... one of two examples of the helmet propose for the "Imperial Yeomanry Regiment" that ultimately was never formed. It is the helmet that is mentioned in David J. J. Rowes book on the British Heavy Cavalry, the helmet that was held in a private collection.

I don't have an Essex volunteer battalion home service helmet but do have a helmet plate to a volunteer battalion of the regiment. I have included a picture of that plate as well as a couple of other Yeomanry helmets, Suffolk, Westminster Dragoons, and Royal Berks, in my collection...

Best regards,

David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2nd Volunteer Battalion, The Essex Regiment.jpg (73.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender Suffolk Yeomanry 01.jpg (51.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender Suffolk Yeomanry 03.jpg (54.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender Suffolk Yeomanry 02.jpg (47.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Royal Berks Yeomanry Cavalry 1.jpg (63.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Royal Berks Yeomanry Cavalry 2 (2).jpg (54.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 2CL 16.jpg (54.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 2CL 14.jpg (53.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 2CL 17.jpg (49.1 KB, 3 views)