British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 19-12-10, 07:47 PM

Default Spotting Fakes

Hi there new to the hobby so please be gentle! are there any ways for a novice to tell if a badge is a fake ? I am particularly interested in WW1 era badges.
thanks in advance jay
Old 19-12-10, 08:09 PM

Sorry to be a bit flippant, but if it looks like a duck, is priced as per a duck, is being sold by a duck, then it it will be a duck. Caveat Emptor. Take your time before parting with hard-earned cash. Fools rush in where angels fear to tread, watch here for information, contact members (most appear reliable).
Old 19-12-10, 08:12 PM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayh View Post
Hi there new to the hobby so please be gentle! are there any ways for a novice to tell if a badge is a fake ? I am particularly interested in WW1 era badges.
thanks in advance jay
As a novice I would very strongly suggest that you do some searches. What you have asked is not a simple one to answer - which country, what regiment, what type etc etc etc. Previous posts on fakes etc would give you a lot of material to look at. After you have done some research (as Eddie Izzard phrased it - active rather than passive research), you can build up some reference material.
I would use advanced search and the works WWI or Great War and genuine and or fake for keywords. You will have some fun this way. Good luck.
If I had lots of time on my hands - and I don't, this is what I would do. To start with.
Old 19-12-10, 08:34 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayh View Post
thanks in advance jay
Jay,
that's the million dollar question!!!

Find a good seller(s), don't be tempted by tall stories and be prepared to spend a lot of time! Check out members albums here on the Forum for GOOD examples!

And most of all GOOD LUCK and welcome to the hobby!

Andy
Old 19-12-10, 08:34 PM
Mr. Jackanory

My advice to any novice is make some good friends oon here and through militaria fairs and at regimental museums. Pick up badges, handle them, look at them, sniff them and try to bend them. There are thousands of good pukka badges out there. When you are not sure talk to the experienced people that you have befriended.
I love this hobby. Also look at the albums on here, there are some crackers.
Matti
Old 19-12-10, 08:59 PM

Hi a good way to start is to get yourself some books on badge collecting
they could save you a fortune in years to come
cheers paj1
Old 19-12-10, 09:54 PM

Default Spotting WW1 Fakes.

My area of interest is British WW 1 cap badges. I do not consider myself an expert although after being a member of this forum I find I often know more than many of the dealers I talk to. As I am in the center of the US this shouldn't be a surprise. I have several rules of thumb when considering a purchase. First, in my mind, the most likely WW 1 badges to be faked are those of war raised units, i.e. royal naval division, guards machine gun battalion and regiment, the various pals battalions, and all brass badges of units which were not bi-metal before the war. Second, the price is too good to be true. Don't assume the seller is ignorant. Finally, don't assume a high price is a guarantee of authenticity. If you have bought a reference book take it with you. A bad reference is better than a terrible memory. Good luck and good hunting.

Don
Old 19-12-10, 11:03 PM

Hi Jay, Get some reference books and then try to handle as many 'good' badges as possible. If you manage to find a dealer you can trust then stick with him and try to pick up some tips. I have found that experience is the best tool - however, even experienced collectors sometimes find repros hard to spot!
Craig