British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Navy and Royal Marines

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-10-12, 01:43 PM

Default Mine Clearance?

Hi, This badge has just come in at a local shop and I`m wondering if there`s a chance it`s genuine? I know these have be widely reproduced, and I`ve looked at the other threads regarding the badge, but would love to have a more experienced eye than mine have a look at it...

What say you? Cheers!
Old 13-10-12, 01:48 PM
Jonesy

looks ok to me all that is missing is the back plate

j
Old 13-10-12, 03:30 PM

It looks okay to me too, i can only see a smaller image on my phone. The lugs have been altered for some reason, maybe so the badge could be displayed?

Phil
Old 14-10-12, 07:15 AM

Default Royal Navy Mine Clearance Service

Hi johnny

I have posted photographs of my grandfather's Mine Clearance Service badge on the Forum before but sadly cannot find them at the moment. It is 100% genuine and if someone could be clever enough to find it you will be able to make comparisons.

Not very helpful but its a start!

Best wishes

Gordon
Old 14-10-12, 01:27 PM

Looks good. The copies have a diagonal line across the mine, obviously a flaw in the die. Also the back of the copies do not have much impession on them. The badge at the link below, for comparison, is a good one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1109609336...84.m1423.l2649

The badge at this link is a copy. I have mentioned this to the seller, but he did not take it down at the time and wanted a fortune for it!!!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180985940349...84.m1423.l2649

John
Old 14-10-12, 03:29 PM

Default Mine Clearance

Just a question but where would these mine clearance badges be worn? I have a friend that was in the RN during WW 2 and he has a mine clearance badge but the difference with his is the fact that it has tiny holes on the outside of the badge where it is actually sewn on the uniform not attached by a pin or lugs like these ones.

Jack
Old 14-10-12, 04:06 PM

Just for interest, this badge was given to me about 45 years ago when I started collecting badges, by the guy who wore it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 012.jpg (43.3 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg 013.jpg (32.6 KB, 61 views)
Old 14-10-12, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer#199 View Post
Just a question but where would these mine clearance badges be worn? I have a friend that was in the RN during WW 2 and he has a mine clearance badge but the difference with his is the fact that it has tiny holes on the outside of the badge where it is actually sewn on the uniform not attached by a pin or lugs like these ones.

Jack
jack

Are you perhaps meaning the Royal Naval Patrol service badge worn on the lower part of the left sleeve? This is a much smaller badge.

Last edited by Nozzer; 17-02-18 at 10:25 PM.
Old 14-10-12, 04:48 PM
Peter J

The MCS badge shown in the opening post was worn in the lower left sleeve... there are a number of threads on this badge:

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...4&postcount=31

Regards to all,

Peter.

Last edited by Peter J; 14-10-12 at 04:58 PM.
Old 14-10-12, 11:18 PM

Thanks Gentlemen! I appreciate the advice, I`ll see if I can pick it up this week, Cheers!
Old 15-10-12, 03:39 PM

Default Mine Clearance Badge

Andy H

It looks like it but I was certain that he had commented that it was for mine clearance, I guess I am mistaken.

Thanks

Jack
Old 15-10-12, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer#199 View Post
Andy H

It looks like it but I was certain that he had commented that it was for mine clearance, I guess I am mistaken.

Thanks

Jack
sorry jack, I didn't explain myself very well

You are right and initially this little badge was only intended for men on minesweepers. The crews of the small craft involved in anti submarine work said that they should be allowed to wear the badge also and the result was the badge that that I have shown. If you look at the design carefully you will see an upside down shark impaled by a marlin spike. This symbolizes the anti submarine part. You can also see a net with two sea mines, this of course the minesweeping part. On the bottom a scroll with M/S and A/S (minesweeping and anti submarine). There are two issues of this badge, the first was a pin back and the second the one with the small sewing holes.

The badge in the initial post is from just after WW1 and the smaller RNPS badge is WW2. I don't have both badges, otherwise I would show the size difference. Perhaps someone can do this for us?
Old 16-10-12, 12:56 PM

Here is the topic concerning Mine Clearance badge & on page two there is a link to a previous thread on it as well with examples shown:

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ad.php?t=18410

RCN Bryan
Old 16-10-12, 03:33 PM

Default Mine Sweeping Badge

Andy H

My friend just turned 87 in September and and joined the junior RN in WW2. He worked on a mineweeper in the Atlantic and did a lot of work around Iceland. He worked in the radio room as well as signalling with flags. He did not keep a lot of items from the war years but he is particularly proud of this badge.

After the war he moved on to The Palestine Police from 1946 to 1948. Again he did not keep a lot of items from the PP ther then a cap badge and collars, his number both in english and arabic. He received a medal for his time in the PP as well.

He then moved on to join the RCMP in 1950 and retired in 1974. It is quite interesting talking to him about his various adventures.

Thanks again

Jack
Old 16-10-12, 04:56 PM
Former Member

Does anyone have any idea what a fair price to pay for a genuine WW1 pattern badge with backing plate would be!

Andy