British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 19-10-08, 01:54 PM

Default Current Yeomanry Question

Hi All,

I'm currently trying to get together some info on current yeomanry regiments. Although there are many units still in existance which have been rebadged to serve as artillery, engineers, signals, etc, does anyone have any info or a list on current yeomanry units which still wear their original capbadges?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers, Paul.
Old 19-10-08, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator

Paul,

There are 4 Yeomanry regts left in existance in the RAC role:

http://www.army.mod.uk/armoured/regiments/default.aspx

Each of these is made up of Sqns descended from individual Yeomanry Regts but they all have a modern regtl cap badge design rather than a badge design from 1908.

In addition you have lots of sqns of yeomanry in the Signals Regts for example 39 Sig regt has one Sqn titled the Berkshire yeomanry. 71 Sig Regt is made up of all its Sqns from former yeomanry regts.

Alan
Old 19-10-08, 02:47 PM

A sad reflection on the order of battle of the current British Army, how long before there is just one multi battalioned Infantry Regiment and one Yeomanry Regiment ?

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 19-10-08, 05:00 PM

I know 'modern' badges exist for some of the Yeomanry units still in existance as squadrons, but do any of them still wear their original badges at all, or just the corps/Regiments they're attached to now?

Apart from the Royal Armoured Corps, I've found:

Royal Signals - Queen's Own Warwickshire & Worcestershire Yeomanry, Shropshire Yeomanry, Cheshire Yeomanry, North Somerset Yeomanry, Lanarkshire & Glasgow Yeomanry (Queen's Own Lowland Yeomanry), Royal Buckinghamshire Yeomanry (Royal Bucks Hussars), Berkshire Yeomanry, Middlesex Yeomanry (Duke of Cambridge's Hussars), Queen's Own Oxfordshire Hussars, Inns of Court and City Yeomanry and Essex Yeomanry

Royal Artillery - South Nottinghamshire Hussars, Hampshire Yeomanry, Hertfordshire & Bedfordshire Yeomanry and Glamorgan Yeomanry.

Royal Engineers - Surrey Yeomanry (Queen Mary's Regiment) and Lovat Scouts.

I believe Denbighshire Hussars are now A/D Coy Royal Welsh Regiment, Suffolk & Norfolk Yeomanry are 677 Sqn Army Air Corps, and Pembrokeshire Yeomanry is 224 Sqn Royal Logistics Corps.

Would be a shame if they'd lost their badges forever.
Old 19-10-08, 05:22 PM
Super Moderator

None of the Royal Signals yeomanry regts wear their own badges anymore. Most of them lost them in 1968 with the TA reorganisation. They still han on to their Yeomanry Mess kit etc.

Same goes for the other arms and services as well. The badges are long gone.

Alan
Old 19-10-08, 08:09 PM

I think that those that are badged as signals and artillery may wear their own collar badges,where appropriate.
The only engineers that dont wear full engineers kit are RMonRE,they wear their own capbadge with standard RE collars.Im not sure if the Jersey sqn(now part of RMonRE)wear their own capbadge or the RMonRE badge.The Tyne engineers sqn wore "tyne" rather than "ubique" on their collars,i dont know if this sqn still exists or has been disbanded.
Old 19-10-08, 08:36 PM

Found the following info for the Royal Signals TA:-

5 (Queen's Own Oxfordshire Hussars) Signal Squadron (Volunteers) [Banbury]
41 (Princess Louise's Kensington) Signal Squadron (Volunteers) [Coulsdon]
80 (Cheshire Yeomanry) (Earl of Chester's) Signal Squadron (Volunteers) [Runcorn]
95 (Shropshire Yeomanry) Signal Squadron (Volunteers) [Shrewsbury]
60 (Royal Buckinghamshire Hussars) Signal Squadron (Volunteers) [Aylesbury/Bedford]
67 (Queen's Own Warwickshire and Worcestershire Yeomanry) Signal Squadron (Volunteers) [Stratford on Avon/Stourbridge]
39th Signal Regt,Headquarters Squadron (North Somerset Yeomanry) [Bristol]
94 (Berkshire Yeomanry) Signal Squadron (Volunteers) [Windsor/Reading/Chertsey]
69 (North Irish Horse) Signal Squadron (Volunteers) [Limavady]
85 (Ulster and Antrim Artillery) Signal Squadron (Volunteers) [Bangor]
47 (Middlesex Yeomanry) Signal Squadron (Volunteers) [Uxbridge/High Wycombe]
68 (Inns of Court and City Yeomanry) Signal Squadron (Volunteers) [London/Whipps Cross]
70 (Essex Yeomanry) Signal Squadron (Volunteers) [Chelmsford/Harlow]
265 (Kent and County of London Yeomanry) Support Squadron (Volunteers) [Bexleyheath]
1 (Royal Buckinghamshire Yeomanry) Signal Squadron (Special(Volunteers) Communications) [Bletchley]
Old 19-10-08, 08:46 PM

The following for the Royal Artillery TA :-

201 (Hertfordshire and Bedfordshire Yeomanry) Battery 307 (South Nottinghamshire Hussars) Battery. 204 (Tyneside Scottish) Battery 457 (Hampshire Yeomanry) Battery

I couldnt find anything for the RE except that the Tyne squadron still exists.
I did find this for the AAC :-
677 Squadron (Suffolk Yeomanry and Norfolk Yeomanry)

Last edited by Mike H; 19-10-08 at 09:02 PM.
Old 20-10-08, 06:57 AM

Living in Wiltshire I was aware that the Royal Yeomanary have recently voluntarily given up their individual regimental badges for a new Royal Yeomanary badge, but I thought the remaining RWY Squadron in the Royal Wessex Yeomanary were still wearing the Prince of Wales Feathers. Am I wrong?

I find it very disapointing that the Royal Yeomanary should have gone down this route because was of the reasons the regiment was formed in this way in 1967 was to preserve the traditions of the individual of the member regiments. I have been told that they are also considering adopting a new regimental No.2 cap.

Last edited by REME245; 21-10-08 at 07:31 AM.
Old 20-10-08, 06:08 PM

Do you think the units in Royal Wessex Yeomanry (Royal Wiltshire Yeomanry, Queen's Own Dorset Yeomanry, Royal Gloucestershire Hussars and Royal Devon Yeomanry) will do the same? I think the Dorsets recently got a new design badge, so I hope not.
Old 21-10-08, 06:44 AM

I am not personally aware of any plans in the Royal Wessex Yeomanary to junk their traditions and badges.

Last edited by REME245; 21-10-08 at 07:30 AM.
Old 31-10-08, 09:04 PM

Default Signal Yeomanry

If you get hold of a copy of The Royal Corps of Signals Unit Histories of the Corps (1920-2001) and its antecedents by Cliff Lord and Graham Watson from you library you will find photos history and details of the insignia worn by the Yeomanry units. It came out in 2003 so is accurate up till about 2002.

Rgds Cliff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belfin View Post
Hi All,

I'm currently trying to get together some info on current yeomanry regiments. Although there are many units still in existance which have been rebadged to serve as artillery, engineers, signals, etc, does anyone have any info or a list on current yeomanry units which still wear their original capbadges?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers, Paul.

Tags
yeomanry