British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > Police

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-09-12, 02:55 PM

Default Royal Hong Kong Police question

I believe the Hong Kong Immigration Department comes under the umbrella of the Royal Hong Kong Police. Can somebody please tell me if this is correct.

If it is correct, as I believe it to be, can anybody please tell me what police rank, or equivalent thereof, would have been held by the Hong Kong Chief Immigration Officer prior to the 1997 hand over of Hong Kong to the Chinese.

Many thanks,

John
Old 22-09-12, 04:36 PM

Hello John,

The heads of the RHKP and the Immigration Department along with other HK uniformed services reported to the Secretary for Security from 1973. The head of the Immigration Department was equivalent to a general - and wore the insignia of a full general - same level as the police commissioner. I believe this is still the case post-1997, though the bauhinia has replaced the crown.

Lawrence
Old 22-09-12, 04:59 PM

Many thanks Lawrence, I am much obliged to you for answering my question.

The man I am interested I knew to be a Detective Federal Inspector, but he went on to serve many years after that and I was recently told (a) He rose to high rank, and (b) He became head of Immigration department.

Thanks to you it now fits together.

Kind regards,

john
Old 24-09-12, 05:01 PM

Default Hong Kong Police/Immigration Department

Just for the record; prior to the 1950s immigration into HK was virtually uncontrolled,though the police did exercise some form over known criminals.Following the Revolution in China a form of local registration was introduced under the Commissioner of Registration,bringing in the compulsory identity card system (which continues).From 1949 to 1961 the Hong Kong Police carried out the enforcement of these regulations until 4th April 1961 when the Immigration Department was formed as a separate arm of the Government.Some police officers,carrying out Immigration duties at this time,continued into the Immigration Dept,tho the majority returned to the Force.Today the I.D are part of the SAR Disciplined Services,are uniformed, and to my mind have the most attractive female officers; but I digress.
Old 24-09-12, 05:49 PM

Thanks 1314, that is very interesting and the dates you provide are very helpful.
Kind regards,
John